Review: 10228 Haunted House

260 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

I gave it the value score largely based on the figs, as I noted in that section. The other modulars have fairly basic figs, where this one has the Vampyre couple (otherwise only available in the large MF castle set), the great zombie chef (unique to this set), the butler (another great and unique fig), and a couple (fairly common now) ghosts. Based on the better figs I allowed for the $30 higher price than Fire Brigade or Pet Shop. And compared to the smaller MF sets it's a great value in price/part. And you get tons of sand green, so it's a good value for MOCers too. Keep in mind there's about $30 worth of just 1x6 bricks in sand green (50 some of them). And $10 worth of 1x4 bricks. etc.

Thanks for the reply. But I'm still not convinced: Even if you allow £10 for the minfigs. That still leaves a price per piece of 6.8p/p = 52% more expensive than comparable sets like the fire brigade.

Regarding the sand green bricks: While these may currently have a high price on Bricklink due to their rarity, from TLG's perspective all colours cost the same. The only cost difference is the amount of plastic required. So the sand green colour itself doesn't justify the 50% markup.

Seems to me this is an open and shut case of TLG attempting to 'push the boat out' with the pricing - capitalising on the popularity of both Halloween and the modular buildings. I have no problem with that. Good for them. It's a great product and a great set. But IMHO it ain't 9/10 value. Personally, I don't mind waiting until next year for a better deal.

Great Review, thanks for that.

I haven't done anything with the Monster Fighter's theme yet but I think I'll be picking up this one just for the "creepy old house on the fringes of modular town" aspects. Maybe I'll add a pet cemetery in the front yard or something to really make it seem like a realtor's nightmare.

Just impressive! Thanks for the review. I'm hoping I can scoop this up in October during their double points promotion!!

Nice review, mostlytechnic! This is an amazing set, and I wish I had the money to buy this, because it would be the obvious choice!

Looking forward to seeing someone turn this into a modular... although I can see it sitting nicely as a stand alone house on a hill on my layout!

Great review, but for $180 I want printed pieces, not stickers. As much as I love Legos, they keep pricing these kinds of sets way out of my price range. I HAVE to collect the modulars now, that doesn't leave much for large sets like this and Star Wars sets.

Looks like a beautiful set, yes a few more tricks and secrets would be cool but it is an awesome set.

Great review.

So many things to buy and so little money!

Thanks for this fantastic review! The set itself is beautiful and has so much detail... it hurts me so much that I won't be able to buy it. :sad:

Amazing review, mostly technic. :sweet: The minifigures are so well detailed and the haunted house definitely looks haunted.

It's just little details that make this house looks so incredible. The shutters and boards on the window, the use of bricks in random places and the right choice of colour is what makes this set so great. However, the back does look a bit plain compared to the other sides of the house. There are also some excellent accesories too, to fill up this spooky house.

Overall, I think this is a stunning set.

Edited by Ferrik

Slight typo by TLG on the newspaper stickers, as I'm sure it should be 'Prize' rather than price, but it wouldn't be the first time stickers made little or no sense (I'm thinking of the Kingdoms Dragon wizard "Powerfull" sticker).

I think "price" is acceptable here. It's just a slightly archaic usage, meaning "reward". ("To have a price on one's head").

Thanks for the review! I bought it before reading this, I don't think I made a mistake buying it :sweet: According to the shippingcompany mine will be deliverd tomorrow, can't wait to build it!

somehow this house reminds me of the Ghostmansion in Eurodisney. Has a bit of the same 'creepy' feeling...

I've been anticipating this set sine the first leaked pics etc

Hope to have it by the time my holidays start so i can build it nice and slowly.

Great review!!!

Great review!! I am completely in love with this set now :wub: . Do you have any modulars you could take comparison pics of? Is ti taller than..say-the fire brigade? :sweet: Thanks Again :thumbup: .

@Tazzy007 Please could you not quote the whole review it make it harder for everyone to read the comments :wink:

Thanks for a great review! I always find it interesting how reading a review can changes ones mind on buying the set. :classic: I liked this one from the first photos, and I still like it today. Due to the price, I started thinking of not getting the set. However, after going through the review, it's still high above on the wish list.

The pro's are definitely 'tons' of bricks in sand green, the 'wooden' tiles, the 'brick' bricks, etc. Selection of bricks looks of great value, the set itself offers a chance of modification to either modular or to an earlier version of the house (the nice one) before it became haunted. I'm not so much into play, and in this respect, I don't find much interest in the minifigs, although they fit to the house nicely. All in all, it's a nice design to build, and a great selection of bricks for MOCers.

I think "price" is acceptable here. It's just a slightly archaic usage, meaning "reward". ("To have a price on one's head").

Except that one did not "win" such a price, it was a reward that one could collect when capturing or killing someone.

So yeah, a really lazy typo.

Nice review, but I agree the sticker sheet reads like someone translated something foreign into English, strange terminology.

Edited by Cara

This set is on my buy list and I will MOD it to open like the Modular Buildings (each floor comes off) as that will work best on a Train Layout.

I'm just wondering why so many seem to think this is a Modular set when it clearly isn't?

I must say that its a real good review and i will buy at least 6 of these to part out. Great brick value in this one.