Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #44: My Best Friend

Mizuki hands the beggars her two gold coins before downing a mead, smelling salts and a nostrum.

Hybros continued to follow Guts, ignoring the beggars. "If this world has come to charity, how can anyone expect to help anyone else?"

This was the second time that a quest had taken Nerwen through the hovels. But the beggars seemed to be multiplying. And this new wall around the hovels was troubling. Nerwen knew that several of the temples used part of the offerings they received to give food and money to the poor. But most of the big temples lay outside the hovels. The path to helping the small girl at the shrine had already taken them past several beggars. In a city like Eubric, driven by the worship of Mercutio, trader and thief, there were many that were bruised, crushed and ground down. What was needed was more than hand-outs of gold, but structural change. What she could see before her was neither civilized or ordered. It was a powder-keg. The heroes would have to be very careful not to provoke a riot.

Still. Something needed to be done for the decrepit man before them. Writing quickly on a piece of paper from her satchel she said,

Here. Take this to the hall, give it to Scheherazade. You might need this to get past the guard at the hovel wall.

Nerwen hands the man 3 gold and the following note.

Scheherazade,

Please make sure this man gets a decent meal including a drink.

Also, have him see Byblos to recount his quests as they are not recorded in the library.

If there is any issue about cost, put it on my tab. Sincerely, Guts Holla.

P.S. There should be a retired heroes pension fund. Perhaps the veterans can organize it?

Nerwen smiled at the though of using the stingy rogue's name, knowing he had already had a run in with the barkeep about the amount of wine he typically consumed.

Edited by Chromeknight

Guts stretched his arms, and walked up to Sarick, he said with a grin on his face:

"Scaly! Long time no see! Ready to find this dog or kid or whatever it is we have to find?"

Sarick noticed Guts for the first time after he spoke. He responded by saying "It is good to see you again. You have gotten even better at melding into the crowd."

The beggars came and went before Sarick could respond. Although it turned out that was a good thing. As Guts' pointed out, most of the beggars seemed to not be as needy as they claimed.

Writing quickly on a piece of paper from her satchel she said,Here. Take this to the hall, give it to Scheherazade. You might need this to get past the guard at the hovel wall.Nerwen hands the man 3 gold and the following note.Nerwen smiled at the though of using the stingy rogue's name, knowing he had already had a run in with the barkeep about the amount of wine he typically consumed.

Thalion was walking in the middle of the group, silent. These slums were something he has not seen until now.

Just as he was thinking how helping those in need would take a whole new meaning in this place, he noticed the old beggar without the arm just he received something from Nerwen. He joined them.

"Good day! I am Thalion of Grisalirr. Your name is Nerwen, right?"

Turning to the beggar: "Here my good man, I don't have much but take this." He hands him 1 gold coin.

Edited by -obelix-

"Guys, it's all nice and dandy if you want to stick around here for a few weeks or months giving away all your gold, but that's not why we are here, we are here to help a poor little girl. So I will be going straight to the Shrine now, along with Guts, Hybros, Cinna and anyone else who doesn't want to waste any more time."

"Simply put, you can stay here or you can come along to the Shrine, right now, but don't expect us to wait while you give away all your gold."

I'm with the cheapskates! I didn't come here to give my money away.

Even though he felt sorry for the dwellers of the slums, Raven felt that his money was better spent elsewhere.

Frankly, I've never heard of these heroes; Moreover I Thanks that if you sere an hero of the Heroica you wouldn't be here to ask for money.

"Guys, it's all nice and dandy if you want to stick around here for a few weeks or months giving away all your gold, but that's not why we are here, we are here to help a poor little girl. So I will be going straight to the Shrine now, along with Guts, Hybros, Cinna and anyone else who doesn't want to waste any more time."

"Simply put, you can stay here or you can come along to the Shrine, right now, but don't expect us to wait while you give away all your gold."

Said this, Alexander agree with the heroes Chief, despite he don't know the name of these heroes.

Erik runs around a corner and catches up with the rest of the heroes just in time to hear the mans request. He shoves 1 coin into the mans hand, and starts breathing heavily to try and catch his breath.

Thalion was walking in the middle of the group, silent. These slums were something he has not seen until now.

Just as he was thinking how helping those in need would take a whole new meaning in this place, he noticed the old beggar without the arm just he received something from Nerwen. He joined them.

"Good day! I am Thalion of Grisalirr. Your name is Nerwen, right?"

Turning to the beggar: "Here my good man, I don't have much but take this." He hands him 1 gold coin.

'Quel amrun Istar.

Nerwen paused.

Apologies. You spoke in common, I should reply in it and not assume you speak my dialect.

Yes, I am Nerwen Calmcacil. Elf from Tel'Arnor on the edge of the Titaan mountains. Likely you have not heard of it. I have not heard of Grisalirr, where is it?

I see you are new. Let me give you a little advice. If you are going to succeed as a hero, when you do things, do them boldly. That way you can be sure they will be done right.

Nerwen sees some of the party charging ahead and follows Namrrya.

QM Note: please write your desired actions in bold, especially when you use items or gold.

The old man smiles widely as gold pours into his sole hand.

"Thank you, oh thank you, young heroesh! Let me tell you, I am a true veteran of Heroica, not thoshe pompoush ashshesh who are currently running it. Dragonlord, bah! Who doesh he think he ish?! Jusht becaushe your anceshtral grandmother wash a Veteran, doeshn't mean you automatically desherve to become one ash well! And I hear the Shaloon ish run by one of 'em orcish women. Have you ever heard a crazhier thing?! It'sh like giving the bar to a toddler! I shtill remember when old Johnny Thunder ushed to run the place. Thoshe were the timesh..."

The heroes leave the wounded old man to his ramblings, but more people blocked their way. Namyrra and some others tried to push their way through, but begging hands and pleading faces were everywhere.

heroicaquest44-beggarmetasimian.jpg

"Aiyud! [Help!]" a Metasimian woman carrying two crying babies shouts as she sees Thothwick in the group. "Methzelek Metasimie, aiyud yu di yuse babagoon! [Friend Metasimian, help me and my children!] Yuza nwongo, babagoonza nwongo! [i'm starving, my children are starving!] Ninguni yu kokolor... [Nobody understands me...]"

heroicaquest44-beggarmage.jpg

"Ether... I need some ether..." said a trembling mage in worn-out pointy hat. "If you have any spare tonics or gold, I could make my life better again. Magic is Zoot's work... you can't live with it, but you can't live without it either. I curse Ethereth for giving me all the power in the world, and then taking it away from me in a single blast! Now all I can think of is feeling ether flowing through me again... Sweet, precious ether..."

heroicaquest44-beggarwoman.jpg

"I used to be a beauty", began another woman, this one bearing a horrible scar over her eye. "But I fell for a wrong man. Now look at me, living here at the Hovels, every night wondering if my abusive gangster husband will come home from his dirty work. Mostly I wish he wouldn't, but what would that solve? I have nowhere else to go... Please, if you could just throw me some gold, I could get away from this hellhole."

How will the party respond?

Party:

heroica_1.jpg

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09)

99 years old elven Ranger

Level 1

Power
: 4
(1+3)

Health
: 6/6

Gold
: 10

Equipment
: Bow (WP: 3)

Inventory
: Amethyst (
Darkness
), Potion, Smoke Bomb,

assassin_benji.jpg

Benji Carvenhall (Flare)

27 years old male half-elven Assassin

Level 21
*Counterstrike*

Power:
(21+13)

Defense:

Health:
32/32
(6+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP: 13;
Darkness
Ice
Light
Elemental), Tricorne (SP:3),
Counterstrike Gloves

Inventory:
5 Grand Potions, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 7 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 3 Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 3 Bones

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Knight

Level 14
*Immune to Weakened, Bound and Slowed*
*Encouraged*

Power:
(14+8+2+1)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(10+13)

Gold:

Equipment:
Great Sword (WP:8), Mockthril Shield (SP:4), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects)

Inventory:
Tricorne (SP:3), Paladin's Armor (unsuitable), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years Female Human Mystic Knight

Level 19
*Immune to
Fire

Power:
(19+12+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
31/31
(5+18+7+1)

Ether:
25/25
(5+18+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:12, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, null fire), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year)

Inventory:
Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Healing Staff (WP:5), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, Tonic, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, 5 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (Tanma)

11 year old "male" "echo" Assassin

Level 17 ½
*Immune to Enamored and Confused*

Power:
(17+7)

Defense:

Health:
28/28
(7+16+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Kapura (WP:7,
fire-elemental
), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP: 1), Heart Locket (Protects from enamored effect and confused effect)

Inventory:
Chiara (WP:7,
lightning-elemental
), Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, , 10 Potions, 3 Grand Potions, 2 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

av-28776.jpg

Dreyrugr (Vash the Stampede)

1000 year old male vampire Rogue

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
(7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Longsword (WP:3)

Inventory:
Potion x2, Venom, Bedroll

IMG_2373.JPG

Erik Tyrvarr (Myrddyn)

18 years old male human Barbarian

Level 10 ½
*Restoration*

Power:
(10+13)

Health:
17/17
(8+9)

Gold:

Equipment:
Voltedge (WP: 13,
lightning-elemental
), Barbarian's Boots (Natural Respite>Restoration)

Inventory:
Spear (WP: 9), Holy Bomb, 2 Death Progg Claws

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

42 year old male human Raider

Level 20
*Natural Respite*
*Dance*
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(20+14)
(29 for ranged attacks
(20+9)
)

Health:
33/33
(7+19+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Lifestealer (WP:14,
ice-elemental
, attacks restore 3 health), Dancing Shoes (Wearer dances well, in the turn after a miss is rolled, the wearer can act twice)

Inventory:
Throwing Knife (WP:9, retrievable,
light-elemental
), Hollow Dagger (WP: 6, hollow), 9 Grand Potions, 1 Grand Tonic, 1 Elixir, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 4 Meads, 4 Nostrums, 4 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Telescope, Bedroll, Beholder's Eye (allows one round per quest to be replayed), 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril)

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 20
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(20+15)

Defense:

Health:
32/32
(7+19+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth-elemental
), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect)

Inventory:
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 10 Potions, 10 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

gc5570571444584664818.jpg?width=80&height=75&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff&size=thumb

Mizuki Kimura (zakura)

21 years old female human Rogue

Level 11
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(11+10)

Health:
17/17 (7 + 10)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:11)

Inventory:
Witch's Tailsman (Poisoned Hits>Badly Poisoned Hits), Remedy, Venom, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, Smoke Bomb, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw,

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)
***Party Leader***

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 21
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 31
(21+12)

Defence
: 8
(5+3)

Health
: 28/28
(5+20+3)

Ether
: 32/32
(5+20+1+1+5)

Gold
: 44

Equipment
: Snake Staff (WP:12), Fanged Helm (SP:5), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing)

Inventory
: Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire. Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, 2 Grand Tonics, Ether Core, 2 Phoenix Essence, 6 Meads, 4 Smelling Salts, 2 Nostrums, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll, Venom, 3 bones

Spirits
: Xut the Daemon (
Darkness
), Raiju the Raiju (
Lightning
), Ni the Shrubbery (
Wood
), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (
Ice
), Clay Golem (
Earth
), Battle Angel (
Light
), unknown (
Fire
), unknown (
Wind
)

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight)

261 year old female elven Cleric

Level 12
*Immune to
Wind

Power:
(12+6)

Defense:

Health:
23/23
(9+11+3)

Ether:
16/16
(5+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Staff (WP:6,
Wood
), White Cloak (+3 Max health), Winged Circlet (SP:2, Immune to Wind)

Inventory:
Hammer (WP: 6), 2 Potions, Tonic, Grand Tonic, 3 Elixirs, 4 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences,Venom, 2 Ice Bombs, Shovel, Bedroll, Bone

HeroicaRaven-1.png

Raven Ashcroft (Raven Brickroft)

18 years old male human Rogue

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
7/7

Gold:

Equipment:
Main Gauche (WP: 3)

Inventory:
Potion, Venom

headressnaga.jpg

Sarick Lanse (Xarrzan)

27 years old male naga Mage

Level 12 ½
*Lucky*

Power:
(12+6+1)

Defense:

Health:
16/16
(5+11)

Ether:
16/16
(5+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dragon's Wrath (WP:6)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Dragon's Heart (WP: 15,
wind-
and
fire-elemental
), Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Tonic, Phoenix Essence, 4 Nostrums, 3 Smelling Salts, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Bone, Mythril Shard (1/4 of a Mythril)

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mage

Level 1

Power:
(1+3)

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:3)

Inventory:
Ruby (
Fire
), Potion, Bedroll

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick (Professor Flitwick)

44 years old Metasimian Black Knight

Level 19
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned*

Power
: 29
(19+10)
(27 for ranged attacks
(19+8)
)

Defence
: 4

Health
: 34
(7+18+9)

Gold
: 270

Equipment
: Sabre (WP:10), Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do damage to undead), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP:8), Bedroll, Telescope, Dragon Scale

harkenshire_sig.jpg

William Harkenshire (VolcanicPanik)

Unknown years old human male Ranger

Level 14
*Hastened*

Power:
(14+5)

Health:
19/19
(6+13)

Gold:

Equipment:
Repeating Crossbow (WP:5, unupgradeable;
fire-elemental
, permanent
hastened
)

Inventory:
Hand Cannon (WP: 5;
lightning
- and
wood
-elemental), Wave Sword (WP:11, inflicts cursed-effect), Croise Crossbow (WP:11), Lion Knight Shield (SP:4, unsuitable), Chimera Armor (+2 SP, +2 Health, unsuitable), Sapphire (
Wind
), Remedy, Venom, Mead, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Elven Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Shovel, Pickaxe, Skeleton Decoy, Horse

IC: De'kra paused as Namyrra laid down the law. She was right, they had come here for a specific purpose, but it felt so wrong to leave these people to suffer. But every second they were away the girl's friend could be in danger. There was no easy solution here.

"You could return."

De'kra's eyes shifted to a golden hue, saved by the voice's wisdom. The echo clicked, "If heroes need to move on now, I guess I can go. We could always give aid at later time anyway, like when we finish quest. It might be harder if people we see have urgent needs, but as child's friend is missing, she may have time limit too. Make sense?"

As the echo noticed a few more individuals blocking them, De'kra waited for Thothwick to translate. He had only so much emergency gold left, and he preferred to know what everyone was saying before he made a rash decision..

Edited by Tanma

Upon seeing the Metasimian mother, Thothwick was reminded of his first months in the Freeport. With help, their lives could be better. Ignoring the order of his party leader, Thothwick reached into his coinpurse, and gave his fellow Metasimian 70 gold.

[My dear lady, I insist you take this gold. You would do best to try and get back to the Mistlands, learn the language of the Humans, and then try and return. At the very least, try and get to the Heroica building. Meet with either myself, or Byblos. He is of our kin, and could help you learn Humanish. There is also Hoptet, but he is still being tutored.]

Turning back to the group, Thothwick addressed his party leader.

"I know you mandated that we ignore these people, but I would not let one of my kin - a mother, no less, and her two children - starve."

Guts moved his hand so his coat fell open, and that two daggers and a throwing knife were clearly visible. The man, now with an expression of pure annoyance, said quietly:

"Out of our way."

IC: De'kra nodded as Thothwick mentioned the situation, before he handed three gold to the mother Metasimian. "That all I can afford to give," he clicked more to himself than anyone in particular, "Rest I save in case of emergency."

Edited by Tanma

OOC:Sandy, I forgot to update my statistics page when I sold the witch's tailsman so my inventory should be :Inventory:Dagger (WP: 10), Venom, Bedroll, Smoke Bomb, Shovel, Pickaxe, Remedy, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw, Holy Bomb x2, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Magic Compass, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, Grand Potion, Potion

Alexander snort, and said: At this rate, when we reach our target there is nothing left.

Chris seeing the rest of the party move on quickly pulls out his purse for one last donation. He had almost decided to give up but he was touched but Thotwick's generosity to the Metasimian Women.

He hands the scarred women 15 Gold pieces and says to her quietly "I wish you luck in escaping from your abusive husband, everyone deserves to be able to live each day free of fear."

He then regards the wizard, it sounded dangerously like an addiction. He considered carefully, it seemed unfair to judge him when he knew so little about magic, and so he decided "Here's 5 Gold pieces, not enough for a tonic (as the average market place price is about 15 gold.) but maybe enough to get yourself out of hear or to buy a hot meal. If your looking for a job maybe the Ziegfrieids would have something, though I confess I don't know much of them myself.

Otherwise you might be able to find some work at Heroica, we could always use another wizard I'll even give you a letter of recommendation just in case."

He scribbles out a short note and hands it to him. It reads

My dear Scheherazade please find some work for this unfortunate man.

If he's no good at questing maybe you could use some help around the bar?

I'm sure you could find some use for a wizard. I know this is

a lot to ask but I would consider it a personal favor.

-Your coworker and loyal patron

(Which has nothing to due with how the drinks are free.)

Sir Christopher Daggerfall.

And with that he runs to catch up with the rest of the group.

Edited by Fred Fred Burger

Cinna starts to feel claustrophobic with the encroaching beggars and the large party of heroes. She is getting nervous and figety, Mauryl sticks a boney hand out Cinna's pack and whispers something nonsensical in her ear. Cinna doesn't really notice, it all blends into the the myriad of sounds for the poor. She reaches into her bag and pulls out a bottle of mead which she drinks quickly before a beggar asks for it.

Benji walks past all the beggars, ignoring them. "I'm not interested in giving out gold to these peasants, if they really want to earn gold and a better life, they should join Heroica like I did." Remembering his distant past Benji spits on the ground and continues to follow Namyrra. The sooner they were to the Shrine, the better. In the meantime, Benji decides to chug down a mead.

Hybros grips his scythe. "I hate to have to fight these poor beggars, but we do have someplace to be, eheh..."

Hybros grips his scythe. "I hate to have to fight these poor beggars, but we do have someplace to be, eheh..."

"Bad idea my friend, I'd hate to have the Great Eubric Riot on my name. Well, this name anyway."