LEGO Historian

LEGO Sets/Parts Never Released into Production

Hello Lego Historian, I'd like to add more insight into the background info of set 6500 Holiday Village if that's okay. From what I can tell, the set must be entirely linked to the original Lego Island video game. Why? Well, early development for that game started in 1995, with the basics of that game being planned out between the Lego Group and Mindscape (the developers of LI). In 1996, a physical version of the game's map was constructed. (You'll notice, by the way, several pieces that this island mockup and 6500 share in common- those red bar fence pieces on the hospital, and the red-tiled roof slopes on the pizzaria.)

Your date of the set being seen in a catalogue seems to be a bit inaccurate- Brickset lists it as 1996, which would fit better with the game's featuring of other sets from 1996- namely 6518 Baja Buggy, 6334 Wave Jump Racers, 6337 Fast Track Finish and 6598 Metro PD Station.

The game was originally supposed to be released in 1996 and it's very likely this was meant to be a kind of loose 'tie-in' set, considering several of the displayed logos/brands (i.e. the pizza logo or the Super 2 sign) originated from the PC game. However, the game got delayed (as often happens in that industry) and came out in October 1997. If my theory is true, then it's very likely that the reason the set got cancelled was because the game it was supposed to feature with never came out. Hope this helps! :classic:

Very informational. I played Lego Island as a kid and have always wanted to recreate the entire island out of legos (like that would ever happen!)

Earlier this year I actually made a cover for the best Lego Island song (the Hospital song)

To anyone who has ever played the game, enjoy! :)