Sign in to follow this  
blue banana

Avalonian Farm

Here it is: My first Avalonia MOC! Built on a 48x48 baseplate it's my largest castle-themed build so far. I got inspired by the greatest guide on castle buildings ever written. The idea came from the beautiful farms and breweries in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The layout is pretty simple but I pretty messed things up when choosing the size of the house. I should have made it one stud wider but as I realized I didn't want to start from the beginning since I had also begun to do the landscape around too. Initially I wanted to do some huge barrels or cauldrons in the barn, but I didn't had the parts and the motivation to do it. I was very unsure what to do with the two green spaces in the front (where cows and crops are now), but then I remembered this crop technique I had seen before and thought it might fit. The cows were the very last thing I added. I couldn't think for something more creative and so I thought they would do the job.

Please excuse the extremely poor photo quality. My camera is very old and it was a cloudy and rainy day, no good light.

7907248918_1f2ab19244_z.jpg

7907247388_9d1ffcfdac_z.jpg

7907242336_be9f28297e_z.jpg

7907239606_b9e0fe6ca3_z.jpg

7907237012_18f5770608_z.jpg

7907234338_d80a615d17_z.jpg

7907231746_2d1f17127b_z.jpg

7907229232_9b82e669b2_z.jpg

7907226760_8d4ed6c482_z.jpg

7907224146_7413b97db8_z.jpg

7907221408_8a963a9660_z.jpg

7907218394_58cc791dd3_z.jpg

7907215482_0186360346_z.jpg

7907212502_c8e0e1de43_z.jpg

7907207360_a4b906e987_z.jpg

Feel free to comment!

Nice start blue banana

You have a lot of nice details and the main house looks good and can definatley see the influence from the guide. .

the field looks good too but I think the barn could use some work. the end gables could use soemthing (perhaps extend the roof out one stud and add a 1x brick on the end. another suggest would be to give your landscape some elevation. it looks a bit flat. maybe put hte house or the barn on a small hill (really only need to one brick or so high) it will give your guild another dimention.

One final suggestion on the photos is to give us a few more overviews from different angles

Details really make a MOC and you have a lot of nice ones (the wheel, barrels, good figure selection)

Overall a good job cant wait to see what you have up next

Excellent way to start :thumbup: The house is excellent and I like your crops, I think a fence around it would fit nicely (and be realistic).

The little lantern works very well too :classic:

Great Job, your photo quality seems fine to me, and that corn field is magnificent! I would sugest you consider adding a few bricks to the top of the left building (barn) so it doesn't look like the roof runs straigt off the edge (hopefully you understand what I mean). Overall though, you've got a lot of great-looking little details! :thumbup:

Thanks guys!

While brushing my teeth (bathroom is still the place of the best ideas :D) an idea came to my mind that could really improve the MOC. I think I will remove the barn. Instead I will put a smaller hut or just a roof and some pillars as a storage place with a workbench. I think I will replace the cows with a well. Fence and gate are great ideas, I have to see if I have the parts for it. I will also improve the landscape and raise the left part of the MOC about a brick's height. Behind the new, smaller warehouse ground will raise even more and a BIG tree will set a clearly defined background. Maybe the weeping willow from the guide...

Tell me what you think and if you have more ideas. I had put a lot of effort in this about two months ago. Did the house and the paths. During summer I wasn't home a lot and today I finished the MOC, I wanted to get it online, but maybe I was a little bit too fast..

Well I have learned that if i don't take photos of something and put them on line I will tinker with it for days, in one case to the point of where I was so tired of looking at the MOC, I just pulled it apart!

I think the workshop idea is a good one. you could add a workbench maybe some firewood stacked up.

I don't mind the cows, but adding the fence would be good. I like DC fences, I've done a version of a stone fence in a couple of my builds something like that might work if you have some more 1x1 round plates.

another tree will definitely add to the Availonian vibe

For your first build for Avalonia, this is quite impressive!

I love your corn, simple yet original. Overall, a very charming scene.

Good job, and keep it up!

Very good! As Jason says, if this is your first moc for us I can´t wait to see your next ones! :thumbup:

A lot to like here! My only nitpick is the roof on the barn, but as you are planning to remove it it want be any problem! :wink:

I am proud to announce that the barn is completely gone. Instead I have filled the MOC with more cute details (as I hope) to show you everyday's life on the farm. Anyway I was thinking of a special surprise (new baseplates are laid out :D), but I have just started it.