45 members have voted

1. 1. So, how would YOU rate this set?

• Perfect
    • Very good
    • So-So
    • Untempting
    • Not for me

tn_8421-1.jpg

8421 Mobile crane was released as the ultimate Technic flagship in 2005, and is the second-most parts heavy set only surpassed by 8110 Unimog U400. It features 4 extending outriggers, six-wheel steering, and a fake 6-cylinder engine. An electric RC motor operates the crane winch and expansion, and two pneumatic cylinders lifts the boom.

According to Brickset, this baby was 150$ on release, and I gave about 180$ for mine without box. The average used price on BrickLink is 200$. The stickers on mine was worn, but they don't make a big difference when building this set. Yellow is still yellow.

tn_dscn3101.jpg

tn_dscn3102.jpg

1884 pieces makes for a solid build, stretched over two instruction books, the first one for the chassis, and the second for the crane. Rather than having them named book #1 and #2, they have greyed out the part that's not present in each book. I have not seen this in any other set, and it indicates that you could build whichever module you want first. The instructions are a whooping 212 pages long, containing 126 steps. That makes for an average parts-per-step ratio of 15. In comparison, the 8110 has 618 steps for its 2048 pieces, giving a ratio of 3 pieces

per step. I guess the kids have gotten dumber with time.

I consider myself an experienced Technic builder, but this behemoth took me a solid day to complete. That of course includes taking pictures and so forth, but still... It also took me 4 hours to disassemble for this review:S

Let's take a look at the parts...

tn_dscn3103.jpg

The special parts, containing motor, battery box, pneumatic cylinders , pump and switch. There is also some strings with 1 stud on each end, which will be used to extend the boom.

tn_dscn3104.jpg

tn_dscn3105.jpg

tn_dscn3106.jpg

The RC motor is able to drive two axles at the same time.

Okay, let's start building, the chassis is first, comprised of liftarms and pins.

tn_dscn3107.jpg

This is the chassis at step 8.

tn_dscn3108.jpg

And this at step 14.

tn_dscn3109.jpg

The other side. No suprises here.

tn_dscn3110.jpg

A little gear rack for the back axle.

tn_dscn3113.jpg

Held in place by another double-bent liftarm.

tn_dscn3114.jpg

tn_dscn3115.jpg

tn_dscn3116.jpg

tn_dscn3117.jpg

Next is making some wheelbases. These three are going to be placed in turn later on. Four out of five axles are steered in this model.

tn_dscn3119.jpg

tn_dscn3120.jpg

tn_dscn3126.jpg

These gears will control steering and outriggers from the back of the truck.

tn_dscn3127.jpg

tn_dscn3128.jpg

tn_dscn3129.jpg

tn_dscn3130.jpg

tn_dscn3143.jpg

tn_dscn3144.jpg

tn_dscn3145.jpg

tn_dscn3146.jpg

tn_dscn3147.jpg

tn_dscn3148.jpg

tn_dscn3149.jpg

tn_dscn3150.jpg

tn_dscn3151.jpg

tn_dscn3152.jpg

tn_dscn3153.jpg

The middle axle holds the differential which will power the engine. This is the only mobile crane I know of which have a differential.

Here it is in place:

tn_dscn3154.jpg

Another gear rack is made to extend the driveshaft and steering rack.

tn_dscn3155.jpg

Placed here along with the second steered axle.

tn_dscn3156.jpg

two 8T gears are placed to allign the second and fourth axle.

tn_dscn3157.jpg

tn_dscn3165.jpg

Two double-bent liftarms keeps the axle in place.

tn_dscn3166.jpg

Another gear rack to extend the steering to the first axle.

tn_dscn3167.jpg

tn_dscn3168.jpg

To lock the steering axle in place, this contraption is made.

tn_dscn3171.jpg

tn_dscn3172.jpg

Two 15L beams is the base for the drivers cabin.

tn_dscn3173.jpg

More beams are added to strenghten the body.

tn_dscn3174.jpg

These knobwheels are later connected to the outriggers.

tn_dscn3175.jpg

The axles for the outriggers are extended to the front side of the truck.

tn_dscn3176.jpg

tn_dscn3177.jpg

These four are the attaching pins for the Crane superstructure.

tn_dscn3179.jpg

tn_dscn3180.jpg

This cage will hold the turntable in place.

tn_dscn3181.jpg

tn_dscn3182.jpg

tn_dscn3183.jpg

tn_dscn3185.jpg

tn_dscn3186.jpg

Next is the outriggers- Two sets are made and placed in front and back.

tn_dscn3187.jpg

tn_dscn3190.jpg

tn_dscn3191.jpg

tn_dscn3192.jpg

tn_dscn3193.jpg

tn_dscn3194.jpg

tn_dscn3195.jpg

tn_dscn3196.jpg

tn_dscn3197.jpg

First outrigger placed. You can see the yellow 3L pins with stop bush that keeps it in place.

tn_dscn3198.jpg

The front fender is placed.

tn_dscn3199.jpg

Rear set of outriggers are placed, along with an extension of the HOG axle. This is the final lenght of the crane truck.

tn_dscn3200.jpg

tn_dscn3201.jpg

tn_dscn3202.jpg

tn_dscn3205.jpg

Rear controls for outriggers and steering placed, here you can see how wide the truck is.

tn_dscn3206.jpg

The engine is a standard Technic 6-cylinder V.

tn_dscn3207.jpg

It's connected to the driveshaft differential via a 16T clutch gear.

tn_dscn3208.jpg

Next is the cocpit.

tn_dscn3209.jpg

tn_dscn3210.jpg

tn_dscn3213.jpg

tn_dscn3216.jpg

tn_dscn3217.jpg

The colour separation in the instructions are excellent. I was never in doubt during the build as of which color to use where (LBG/DBG).

tn_dscn3219.jpg

Nice comfy seats.

tn_dscn3220.jpg

tn_dscn3230.jpg

Next is the sides, which do not open in this model.

tn_dscn3231.jpg

tn_dscn3232.jpg

tn_dscn3236.jpg

tn_dscn3237.jpg

tn_dscn3238.jpg

tn_dscn3240.jpg

The roof is mainly made of axles and liftarms.

tn_dscn3241.jpg

tn_dscn3243.jpg

Placed here along with some decorational "Vehicle Grilles".

tn_dscn3244.jpg

Finished windshield and lights.

tn_dscn3245.jpg

The cabin added to superstructure along with the front lights.

tn_dscn3248.jpg

Some decorational bricks along the sides before Wheels are added.

tn_dscn3249.jpg

tn_dscn3250.jpg

tn_dscn3251.jpg

tn_dscn3252.jpg

Finished the base, it's quite big.

tn_dscn3253.jpg

tn_dscn3254.jpg

tn_dscn3255.jpg

tn_dscn3257.jpg

The crane base requires some reinforcement to cope with all the weight of the crane itself. Some thin liftarms on each side ensures that it will not break.

tn_dscn3260.jpg

tn_dscn3262.jpg

tn_dscn3263.jpg

The changeover catch is connected to a 20T bevel gear.

tn_dscn3264.jpg

The driving ring sits on an axle with a 24T, a 16T clutch and a 12T DB gear.

tn_dscn3265.jpg

The DGB 5.5L axle with a bevel gear meshes with the 20T bevel to control the changeover catch.

tn_dscn3268.jpg

To elevate the boom, two pneumatic cylinders are attached, giving a total stroke of 8 studs. The "Pneumatic Cylinder Bracket" is only seen in this set and the motorized bulldozer, giving an average BL price of 14$ each. Two pneumatic hoses are joined to simultaneously apply pressure to both.

tn_dscn3269.jpg

tn_dscn3271.jpg

tn_dscn3274.jpg

tn_dscn3275.jpg

tn_dscn3276.jpg

A turntable is placed underneath, and locked with a 15L beam.

tn_dscn3277.jpg

tn_dscn3278.jpg

The pneumatic switch is placed on the side of the base.

tn_dscn3279.jpg

The winch axle has a clutch gear on it to prevent the motor from stalling. It also prevents this crane from lifting anything weighing more than a few grams.

tn_dscn3281.jpg

tn_dscn3282.jpg

The lower handle controls the changeover catch.

tn_dscn3283.jpg

tn_dscn3284.jpg

Some worn stickers show what the levers are for.

tn_dscn3285.jpg

The motor is placed on the side of the crane.

tn_dscn3286.jpg

Some reinforcing beams and bricks.

tn_dscn3287.jpg

The base of the turntable consists of beams and "Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pins", and is locked by some 15L beams.

tn_dscn3288.jpg

tn_dscn3289.jpg

The pneumatic cylinder inlet is fixed on the pump, and then on the superstructure.

tn_dscn3290.jpg

tn_dscn3291.jpg

The crane has its own cabin.

tn_dscn3292.jpg

tn_dscn3293.jpg

tn_dscn3294.jpg

tn_dscn3295.jpg

tn_dscn3296.jpg

tn_dscn3298.jpg

The primary boom is next.

tn_dscn3299.jpg

tn_dscn3300.jpg

tn_dscn3301.jpg

tn_dscn3302.jpg

tn_dscn3303.jpg

A "Black Bionicle Bohrok Shoulder" is used to keep the top and bottom from falling apart.

tn_dscn3308.jpg

tn_dscn3309.jpg

A clutch gear connected to the worm screw prohibits the boom from extending too far.

tn_dscn3310.jpg

tn_dscn3311.jpg

tn_dscn3312.jpg

tn_dscn3313.jpg

Here is the gear setup for the boom extension. Note the 32L axle.

tn_dscn3314.jpg

tn_dscn3315.jpg

Some liftarms ties the back end together.

tn_dscn3316.jpg

And then some bricks in the front.

tn_dscn3317.jpg

Same setup on the other side. Note the 8T gear above the worm screw.

tn_dscn3318.jpg

This rack fixes the 32L axle in place, and a thin triangle liftarm secures the end of the boom.

tn_dscn3319.jpg

tn_dscn3320.jpg

Two strings with studs are attached on the far side of the secondary boom.

tn_dscn3321.jpg

tn_dscn3322.jpg

tn_dscn3323.jpg

The crane head has two "Black Wheel Spoked 2 x 2 with Pin Hole"s, which will guide the winch line.

tn_dscn3330.jpg

tn_dscn3332.jpg

tn_dscn3333.jpg

Head complete. You can see how the winch line will go through the two perpendicular axle and pin connectors.

tn_dscn3336.jpg

The seconday boom is next.

tn_dscn3338.jpg

tn_dscn3341.jpg

tn_dscn3342.jpg

The tertiary boom is placed inside the secondary, and enclosed by another set of technic bricks.

tn_dscn3343.jpg

tn_dscn3344.jpg

The gear rack for the secondary boom is added.

tn_dscn3345.jpg

tn_dscn3346.jpg

Seconddary boom is then inserted into the primary, and the studded string is attached to two "Plate 1 x 5 with Smooth Ends, 4 Studs and Center Axle Hole"s.

tn_dscn3347.jpg

tn_dscn3348.jpg

Two "Black Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Pin Hole" are placed, and fastened with two yellow 9 beams to keep the boom from prying apart under pressure.

tn_dscn3349.jpg

tn_dscn3350.jpg

Crane finished, now all that remains is the hook.

tn_dscn3351.jpg

tn_dscn3352.jpg

The battery box serves as a counterweight in this set.

tn_dscn3353.jpg

Mounting the crane on the base completes the model.

tn_dscn3354.jpg

tn_dscn3355.jpg

tn_dscn3356.jpg

tn_dscn3357.jpg

tn_dscn3358.jpg

tn_dscn3359.jpg

tn_dscn3360.jpg

Comparison with 8053, 8446, 8067.

tn_dscn3361.jpg

tn_dscn3362.jpg

tn_dscn3366.jpg

I think this is a great model, with lots of functions and parts. At the current price @ BrickLink it's not exactly a bargain, but a considerable better model then the 8053 Mobile Crane. The pneumatic lifting of the boom is original, but doesn't work as well as you'd suspect, as the air leaks lowers the boom over the cause of a few minutes. At least on mine. The 6-wheel steering is really smooth for the size of the model, it almost seems weightless. The inclusion of a fake engine is a nice plus. I'll give it an overall score of 8.5/10.

Thanks for reading/watching pics. If you liked the review, give me some feedback, otherwise, vote on the poll.

Bigger pics @ Brickshelf

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Thanks for the review!

I voted Very Good. It's a great set, and one of the few sets of the last decade that contained some studded parts. Which, in my opinion, is a big advantage. However, despite it being much bigger than 8460, I actually prefer the older crane. The 8480 has better outriggers, but also a gear-driven turntable. For it's size, I think the manual turning was a disappointment.

So, everything said, I think the 8421 is not as good as 8460, but still a great set.

Thanks for the review!

I voted Very Good. It's a great set, and one of the few sets of the last decade that contained some studded parts. Which, in my opinion, is a big advantage. However, despite it being much bigger than 8460, I actually prefer the older crane. The 8480 has better outriggers, but also a gear-driven turntable. For it's size, I think the manual turning was a disappointment.

So, everything said, I think the 8421 is not as good as 8460, but still a great set.

I haven't recieved the 8460 yet, but I expect it to be better than this. It was probably re-released 2 times for a reason.

tn_dscn3282.jpg

Here, I always use a standard 24T gear instead; this makes the crane able to lift much heavier weight. In addition, I add in pneumatic tubes to close off the circuit (the set already comes with an extra t-piece), to smoothen the descent of the crane arm.

*snip*

Here, I always use a standard 24T gear instead; this makes the crane able to lift much heavier weight. In addition, I add in pneumatic tubes to close off the circuit (the set already comes with an extra t-piece), to smoothen the descent of the crane arm.

I do this too, but for the sake of an exact review, I left it in.

Great Crane, the only issue I have is the string is too thick and keeps catch when wound up. I have been trying other strings to get a better fit. I see you used the original one, is that all the time or just for the review?

I will always have fond memories of this set, it was my first flagship, and it was AWESOME! (still is)

In a lot of ways, this is actually kind of similar to the Unimog. it has a body and two attachments (A and B models), it has pneumatics and a motor, and it looks REALLY good.

Definitely one of the best ever Technic sets. :classic:

Great Crane, the only issue I have is the string is too thick and keeps catch when wound up. I have been trying other strings to get a better fit. I see you used the original one, is that all the time or just for the review?

I've not replaced the string. If I apply a lot of force to the string, it winds up well enough. I saw another thread for buying bead string to use with lego contraptions, but I didn't buy any. Maybe in the future I will change the string on all my sets.

Very, very good and thorough. :thumbup: 8421 needs to be considered to be re-released. :classic:

Mine is on my ''breaking table''.

Is that the one you throw it off when to disassemble sets? :laugh:

Mina actually accidentally fell out of the attic. It landed 3m down and was still mostly OK: a very sturdy construction!

I guess thats one way to store your LEGO,s, LOL. Mine are a bit more organized, bad part is I spend as much time taking them apart and putting the parts way as I do building them. The addvantage is next time I build something al the parts are right there ready to be used.

Dan

I guess thats one way to store your LEGO,s, LOL. Mine are a bit more organized, bad part is I spend as much time taking them apart and putting the parts way as I do building them. The addvantage is next time I build something al the parts are right there ready to be used.

Dan

That's just the models I have made up that I am slowly taking apart as I need parts .I have many parts sorted into compartment's ........:wink:

UPDATE: I made a small montage of the set using Technic figs. This sure has lots of playing features.

tn_dscn1857.jpg

tn_dscn1858.jpg

tn_dscn1859.jpg

tn_dscn1860.jpg

tn_dscn1862.jpg

tn_dscn1863.jpg

tn_dscn1864.jpg

tn_dscn1865.jpg

It's enough to keep 14 Technic figs occupied. The engine has broken down so they can't lower the boom :tongue:

first time I see so many technic figs ... and I only have 2 (power puller and 8450)

Sorry for bumping an old topic, I thought it would be better to ask here, rather than create new topic.

8421 is indeed a cool model, but has a cracking sticker issue. I would love to get some re-created. Buying overpriced original one is not an option - it would crack and peel again. I'm not looking to acquire aftermarket sticker as well (not worth). So I wonder if anyone has a better sticker scan than the one available on BrickOwl?

I voted very good, It's the set that brought me out of my 'dark ages'. I only dissassembled it again when the 42009 came out.

8421 is indeed a cool model, but has a cracking sticker issue. I would love to get some re-created. Buying overpriced original one is not an option - it would crack and peel again. I'm not looking to acquire aftermarket sticker as well (not worth). So I wonder if anyone has a better sticker scan than the one available on BrickOwl?
Answering my own question, just in case someone would be looking for same in the future. The best (and only) scanned stickers for 8421 set I could find are hosted here (at the the very bottom).