Sign in to follow this  
Munkeywrench3081

Base plate problem

Hi, I just finished creating a vehicle on Lego Digital and I want to put a base plate under it but no matter which plate I try I just cant attach it. Is it possible to put a base plate under something after you built it?

Try this:

LDDScreenShot132333.JPG

Attach the plates to under the vehicle, then place the baseplate under that, then remove the plates from under the vehicle to make it look normal.

Edited by Seluryar

Try this:

*snip*

Attach the plates to under the vehicle, then place the baseplate under that, then remove the plates from under the vehicle to make it look normal.

Wouldn't the vehicle be left floating above the baseplate if you did that?

It's still a better solution than none at all.

Personally, I prefer to elevate objects using a rod and clip, but either solution will somewhat work. The reason I favor mine is that it lets you place the vehicle more accurately. I also use this method when fixing a head on a minifigure that is utilizing either armor or a cape.

It is not possible to connect the vehicle to the baseplate, so you have to drop it over.

Some solutions could be:

• a static scaffolding, such as the one suggested by Seluryar. You can use different bricks to built it to have a more precise placement of the tires on the baseplate.
  • place a plate next to the vehicle, an then connect the baseplate to it. That will put the baseplate at the right vertical distance from the vehicle, but only for (partly) smooth baseplates (for example, roads). Then you have to move the vehicle over the baseplate, selecting it together with a brick on the ground level.
  • a dynamic scaffolding. I usually built it using an axle and a bush. Select the vehicle together with the bush and move this last one along the axle until the vehicle "land" on the baseplate. You can use another scaffolding to move the the vehicle over the desired point on the baseplate.

You can combine different techniquest to fit your needs. For example you can use a static sfaccolding to place the vehicle and then use a simple vertical dynamic scaffolding to precisely drop it on the baseplate.

NOTE: it is a good thing to use a "group" for the vehicle, to make easy to select it. Once you move it on the scene, it could be difficult to select it with the selection rectangle.

Just barely, but since most models are looked at from an angle, you shouldnt really notice

LDDScreenShot132334.JPG

I really cannot believe this program has such limitation !

How could this be the preferred LEGO cad program?

Even MLCAD is better !!!

I really cannot believe this program has such limitation !

How could this be the preferred LEGO cad program?

Even MLCAD is better !!!

A bit too much trolling there :sceptic:

(If you want to discuss pros and cons of different programs, please create a separate topic)