Grimmbeard

New set Acquired, what to do with it?

Hello!

So I'm new, as you can see, so I'll just get straight to the point. I'm visiting home for summer break, and a few days before I leave, my mom suddenly remembers an old Lego set she had been saving for years, #6261-1 Raft Raiders.This set is MISB with barely any damage done to the box. So I was just wondering, what to do with it now? Should I open it, store it, sell it? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

---Grimmbeard

Considering the average price for this is $50, I'd say keep it for a few more years and then sell it. You can always get the parts for much cheaper if you really want the set.

Edited by prateek

Ah, I remember this set; it was pretty nifty. I say, either put that baby on display, or rip er' open and enjoy some early 90's Lego goodness.

Open it and enjoy. It is your mothers present. Who cares for a couple of $$$

My thoughts exactly. If it was a UCS Millennium Falcon set that you could practically sell and buy a used car. My thoughts might be different.

For something like this I'd either open it and enjoy it, and not sell it since it has sentimental value. Or keep it sealed and proudly keep it as it would also have sentimental value.

That's just my opinion though.

Seems a shame to leave those Lego guys boxed up in the dark all these years. At the very least it's bad form and worse luck not to accept a gift in the sprit it is given. Don't sell it, keep the set in one form or another.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've decided to keep it on display for a while, and maybe sell it later.

You can always donate it to the poor Eurobricks members who've always dreamed about getting it :wink: Wow... I wish my mom would be saving something like for me for years :laugh:

But yeah... I agree that it's not ethical to sell a gift... and it's not ethical to make profit from a gift either :sweet: I am very much against speculation, as it will always hit you back someday.

You won't make big numbers from it, and you should feel thankfull for getting that, cause others coudln't be so lucky...

You can always save it for your own kid as some people do :sweet:

You can always donate it to the poor Eurobricks members who've always dreamed about getting it :wink: Wow... I wish my mom would be saving something like for me for years :laugh:

But yeah... I agree that it's not ethical to sell a gift... and it's not ethical to make profit from a gift either :sweet: I am very much against speculation, as it will always hit you back someday.

You won't make big numbers from it, and you should feel thankfull for getting that, cause others coudln't be so lucky...

You can always save it for your own kid as some people do :sweet:

Yes, I agree. Its still up on my shelf MISB. :classic:

Sounds like you have it figured out. But I would also suggest keeping it. So have fun with that :). I know it's in the box, but it is still nice to have some of the sets in your possession.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've decided to keep it on display for a while, and maybe sell it later.

This set is lovely. I consider this one of my favorite sets of all time.

Too bad I lost the sail, so one day I'll have to buy it from bricklink or ebay.

If I were you, I definitely not sell it for $50, because I'm not really in a bad need of such small amount of dollars.

You easily spend 50 bucks on a single dinner so it's not worth to give this MISB in exchange for a dinner.

Sometimes I feel bad I don't have any MISB and if I'd have one, I'd do one of the followings.

-If I have enough space to dedicate a room especially to display Lego, I'd create some particular displays for MISB.

-I'd keep it for my son, and when he has the 8-10th birthday, I'll give it to him. He should be happy and proud to receive a clasic MISB when all his friends get the ordinary contemporary Lego.

-I'd preserve it for another decade and see what will happen. Those vintage sets become more and more valuable because not everyone keeps them in good condition.

For lots of times I saw the SES Hull being damaged and not kept in decent conditions so I realize that each day we pass, these sets increase their value (not only in $) because they become fewer.

This set is lovely. I consider this one of my favorite sets of all time.

Too bad I lost the sail, so one day I'll have to buy it from bricklink or ebay.

If I were you, I definitely not sell it for $50, because I'm not really in a bad need of such small amount of dollars.

You easily spend 50 bucks on a single dinner so it's not worth to give this MISB in exchange for a dinner.

Sometimes I feel bad I don't have any MISB and if I'd have one, I'd do one of the followings.

-If I have enough space to dedicate a room especially to display Lego, I'd create some particular displays for MISB.

-I'd keep it for my son, and when he has the 8-10th birthday, I'll give it to him. He should be happy and proud to receive a clasic MISB when all his friends get the ordinary contemporary Lego.

-I'd preserve it for another decade and see what will happen. Those vintage sets become more and more valuable because not everyone keeps them in good condition.

For lots of times I saw the SES Hull being damaged and not kept in decent conditions so I realize that each day we pass, these sets increase their value (not only in $) because they become fewer.

Yes I definitely agree with you to keep it MISB. Thank god my mom did too :laugh:. Unfortunately I don't have a whole room I can dedicate to LEGO displays, but for now the top of my dresser will do :grin: . If I sold it I'd probably just "frigit it away on food and drink and pleasure". Hopefully you get that reference :wink:

A Lego Room! :wub: Yeah that would be nice. I always wanted to have a dedicated room in my house... library, pirate theme.. Lego room could do too... yet it always depends on the size of your flat... is sad to see that most people with big apartments or villas waste their space, using them just for parties... and hobbyst generally can't dedicate couple of square meters for what they love :sceptic:

Yeah man... 50 bucks is what you can spend in 5 minutes for nothing special... and MISB is very special... I had this kind of situation - not with selling Legos, but with selling books... sold some great valuable titles for little money that gave me nothing... and I still regret doing that! :hmpf_bad:

A Lego room would be very very nice, but yeah, I would have to get a bigger apartment. All 50 bucks would give me is a bowl of regret.

The Lego room seems to be the biggest problem of all Lego collectors.

I actually hate to keep them in boxes, especially on the sets where I don't have the original boxes anymore.

But if I keep them exposed for years, they're getting dirty as it's almost impossible to keep them clean over the years.

I intend to start a thread about how to create your own display for Lego, debate together and share our ideas.

If this was already created, please show the link here.

It was probably mentioned a lot of times in different topics, but I'm not sure of there was special thread.

Have to check.

Seems we already have a nice discussion about Lego room here so why not dedicate a special topic to that matter :sweet:

Aaa... a man cave full of Lego :wub:

Yeah... Proper storage roblem was always something to discuss about. It always depends whether you keep all stuff together or keep different sets separately...

I was actually thinking about having transparent plastic bags with zippers or boxes for different sets and marking them with a sticker copy of Lego box art to quickly find what I need :sweet:

It was probably mentioned a lot of times in different topics, but I'm not sure of there was special thread.

Have to check.

Seems we already have a nice discussion about Lego room here so why not dedicate a special topic to that matter :sweet:

Aaa... a man cave full of Lego :wub:

Yeah... Proper storage roblem was always something to discuss about. It always depends whether you keep all stuff together or keep different sets separately...

I was actually thinking about having transparent plastic bags with zippers or boxes for different sets and marking them with a sticker copy of Lego box art to quickly find what I need :sweet:

The Lego I do have organized is by color, but yes, I think your idea is way better. (That black box is hell :grin: )