Sign in to follow this  
Megaloptus

LDD - The Color Black

I've noticed this and it has bothered me quite a bit recently...

The color "black" in LDD is definitely a dark navy blue. I'm assuming that no one has fixed or can fix this.

Also, I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed this, so I know I'm not being too picky. Someone, please elaborate this annoyance.

For much better reference, here is the color comparison I made:

zjjuw0.png

Thanks for checking my thread out. :classic:

It is known. :classic:

The reason is simple: the dark blue allows a better visibility bricks' borders, while the black colour would be confusion for the builder, because it is the colour of the borders.

Remember that LDD is a tool thought to build, not to show colours in their perfect tonality.

If you read official LEGO instructions that you find in LEGO sets, you can notice that even there the black is not black. It is a matter of visibility.

PS: did you read my notice about your entry in the Official set in LDD topic?

Don't want to step in your explanation Calabar, but it could perhaps be clearifed that the reason for the pale black if for users that can't (or won't) turn on brick edge outlines. If black would hade been a really dark black, you wouldn't be able to make out any shadows on black bricks - it would be just like looking into an abyss. You can try this yourself like this:

1) Turn off Edge Outlines (Edit > Preferences > Outlines on bricks)

2) Open a MOC with lots of black (like some Batman model)

3) Use Anchirs color chart and swatch the color 109 IR black

4) Color everything in the model from Black 26-Black to 109-IR Black.

Behold the abyss

It is known. :classic:

The reason is simple: the dark blue allows a better visibility bricks' borders, while the black colour would be confusion for the builder, because it is the colour of the borders.

Remember that LDD is a tool thought to build, not to show colours in their perfect tonality.

If you read official LEGO instructions that you find in LEGO sets, you can notice that even there the black is not black. It is a matter of visibility.

PS: did you read my notice about your entry in the Official Set in LDD topic?

I figured, but does it have to be to such an extreme? Ldraw and SR 3d Builder does just fine with using a convincing black. Any shade of black is fine, but the color used in LDD is on a completely different spectrum.

And I made the changes you suggested to the photo. Links-wise, I can't post any because I haven't made 5 posts.

Did you read my post above? (or maybe we cross-posted looking at the timestamp :classic:)

Anyway, in MLCad (as an example), black bricks have a white outline and therefore they can allow the black to be darker. In LDD, it doesn't work like this because LDD have to support users that do not have graphics cards that support edge outlines. So, because of this, LDD has to support "the worst case", which unfortunately means a more pale black.

Having said that, I do agree that it probably could be tweaked to at least be a little bit darker.

Don't want to step in your explanation Calabar, [...]

Why you shouldn't want? You are perfectly right! :wink:

Border outlines is not the only reason, shadows are probably the main reason.

But when I wrote I thought about borders I knew there is some other reason, but in that moment it didn't occur! :grin:

You did well, specifying that. :classic:

Anyway, the message I wanted to communicate was that the reason is a better visibility.

@Megaloptus

You will be able to post links when you will reach 5 posts.

If you want you could post a pseudo-url and I can convert it in a regular URL.

But I think it is not necessary, few posts still and you will be able to do that by yourself.

PS: there is one thing I've not understood... it is necessary to tag the set as incomplete? Missing parts has been replaced?

@Megaloptus

You will be able to post links when you will reach 5 posts.

If you want you could post a pseudo-url and I can convert it in a regular URL.

But I think it is not necessary, few posts still and you will be able to do that by yourself.

PS: there is one thing I've not understood... it is necessary to tag the set as incomplete? Missing parts has been replaced?

By the way, I've updated my post to fit the proper terms; provided errors, modified the picture, et cetera et cetera.

Missing parts have all been replaced by brick solutions.

It's complete, in my own opinion of course. :classic:

Anyway, in MLCad (as an example), black bricks have a white outline and therefore they can allow the black to be darker. In LDD, it doesn't work like this because LDD have to support users that do not have graphics cards that support edge outlines. So, because of this, LDD has to support "the worst case", which unfortunately means a more pale black.

But why they don't make it an option, like the advanced shader? I mean, it can't be to difficult to make an option to make parts with the color "Black" really black with a white outline?

Edited by legolijntje

But why they don't make it an option, like the advanced shader? I mean, it can't be to difficult to make an option to make parts with the color "Black" really black with a white outline?

No, you are probably right. Basically, two RGB values - one when outlines are turned on, one when off.

This should probably go on the "Wanted features" list.