Sign in to follow this  
ihira

What should I do with my collection

Hi, I'm a 'casual' AFOL that likes to build and collect mostly large sets and put them on display.

When I came back from my dark ages, I went on a Castle collecting spree (cuz they're cool) and then eventually just buy sets that interest me here and there.

I haven't done any MOCs or anything. I don't think I have the passion/time/money to invest and compete with EB members. But I do like building and admiring complete sets.

This is a portion of whats on display atm to give you an idea. This is about 70% of what i own, the rest is on the floor not included in this pic.

dscn0411kk.jpg

Anyway its time to put them away but I'm torn between 'how to'

1) Disassemble them per set and store them seperately? This way I can sell them via individual sets if I decide to.

2) Disassemble them all completely and sort/organize them nicely for free play/MOCing?

1) Disassemble them per set and store them seperately? This way I can sell them via individual sets if I decide to.

And then donate the proceeds to charity! pirate_classic.gif

You really should try to build a MOC. And the first one will not satisfy you probably, but maybe you'll learn and like to build your own creations. So I'd choose sorting out the pieces.

Organize and build MOCs. if its not your thing then you can resort to the other option, you cant do that the other way around!

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

Not everyone likes to MOC and that's fine, but if not you should try and keep them organised by set. It looks like you've got some nice older sets and it would be a shame to lose them amongst random pieces.

I'd organize them by set(which I do myself). I'm not much for MOCing either, although I haven't tried.

I think they look pretty darn awesome as they are! I'm very jealous of that collection and if they were mine they would have to stay out on display for the world to see!

If you really have to put them away then the only way to do it is to store them all by set separately. You'll regret muddling up the pieces, I know I would!

You can give them to me free of charge. default_laugh2.gif

Seriously though, try and build a few MOCs. You may not be the kind of person who likes to, but start tinkering and maybe it will grow on you. Begin with something simple, something similar to the sets you have. Then see what happens from there. default_satisfied.gif

For sets that I have displayed a bit too long, I completely take them apart, but I store the sets in their own ziplock bags and label them. This way if I want to put them together again, all of the pieces are there, but if I want to use them later for a moc, they are already completely taken apart. However, I definitely seperate the minifigures from the sets. Each minifigure gets its own tiny bag and a label (name/set name and set number), and I place all the minifigures in one container. This way I know which ones are in which set if I build it again, but I also have all of my minifigures put together and in one place in case I want to use them elsewhere. Anyway, that's what I do ...just a suggestion.

That's an awesome sight, I'm also doing a collection of the castles and love seeing them completed and all setup.

Personally I'd keep your sets seperate if you dismantle them, and also if you consider selling them please give me a pm, i'm looking to complete the entire castle range so I can sit back proud at having 1 of every kingdom set ever produced.

You've got some great stuff here. Shred them all and build a mega castle. :thumbup:

Well, I only recently got into MOCing so sorting them all out might be a good idea. Even as a child I never had sets stored together, if they weren't already built, they were just sorted by color in random boxes. This allows you to "hunt" for the pieces, which can be fun, but very time consuming. Keeping the sets together in pieces would allow quicker builds/sales in the future, but do you plan on selling them? If so, then do it that way. If no intention of selling them, unless you plan on building them all again the same way they should be, there is no reason to keep them together really. One thing would be the older sets/colors would clash with the newer ones so you may be able to separate them easier that way.

Good luck with your decision.

hi all, thanks for you suggestions and complimets so far :)

After reading everyones responce and put in some thought, I don't think I would be selling them because money can be made but rare sets will be gone forever(unless you pay for overpriced ebay/bricklink which I'm not going to)

And i can always rebuild them if i want to as long as I have parts and instructions.

So i see no point in keeping them seperate per set, thus i think its time to pool them together. Time to check the organize & sort thread!

Duce: Its definately visualy pleasing to have large castles all together, I honestly didnt think I would buy this many. damn you brickset...

But I'm over the collectors syndrome, good luck in your collection!

@Ihira you only think that, the bug will come back and bite you... has happened 3 times to me so far, and each time my collection of the castle sets grows, not that i'm fuly complaining though, its fun to try to find the older sets for decent prices then build them once I buy them.

personalyl I'd set your castles up somewhere like a full lego world, but that would need ALOT of space. Or you could make your own castle with bricks you order to add to the collection.