dundarach

Layout: Toffee Mountain Railway

Hello all, thought I'd share some photos from the layout I'm currently building along with my (very) young children ;-)

imgp5439.jpg

imgp5435.jpg

imgp5442.jpg

Can take more if anyone would like.

Chris

Nice. Five separate speed regulators? Are there really five separate track segments?

My only problem is that, while it looks like a lot of fun to play with, there's not a lot else besides trains.

Are those tables 30 inches wide?

Nice. Five separate speed regulators? Are there really five separate track segments?

My only problem is that, while it looks like a lot of fun to play with, there's not a lot else besides trains.

Are those tables 30 inches wide?

Thanks, not really five, two loops and three sidings, so cheating really!

What do you mean only trains....is there anything else...I know what you mean I'm limited to size and want to use as much track as possible as this is what I'd collected most of.

Boards are custom made to the layout:

9.jpg

And designed on track draw thingy:

8.jpg

To fit the room which is only small, however all I could get past the wife!! Lol

Oh... didn't mean to sound insulting. I just meant that when I have the room to build my layout, it'll be more cityscaping(*), but then I know I will have to sacrifice train playability, too.

Coming from N-Scale, LEGO scale takes a LOT of space. At the same time, if I wait until I have tons of space, I may never get a chance to build anything at all, so I really appreciate what you've built there.

(*) EDIT: Like a place for my modular buildings, creator houses, and MOCs.

Edited by fred67

Oh... didn't mean to sound insulting. I just meant that when I have the room to build my layout, it'll be more cityscaping(*), but then I know I will have to sacrifice train playability, too.

Coming from N-Scale, LEGO scale takes a LOT of space. At the same time, if I wait until I have tons of space, I may never get a chance to build anything at all, so I really appreciate what you've built there.

(*) EDIT: Like a place for my modular buildings, creator houses, and MOCs.

Don't worry not offended :-)

I agree it was a challenge getting track and buildings into a small space. I've kept the buildings on baseplates so can swap them around and have plans to perhaps build more tunnels for city above....

Don't worry not offended :-)

I agree it was a challenge getting track and buildings into a small space. I've kept the buildings on baseplates so can swap them around and have plans to perhaps build more tunnels for city above....

Greetings:

Thanks for sharing this. I always really like to see what other people are doing layout wise.

A couple quick questions if you get a chance:

1. It looks like you have or want to have a turntable. How does that work?

2. How about a pic of your rolling stock? I'm especially interested in what looks like a yellow train engine.

Thanks, Steve.

I like this alot, I have loads of track but no where to set up all the time. This means we (the kids and I) have to set-up a layout play a bit then take it all down again. This is ok with just track and trains but will not be much fun if I get into buildings and the like. I think this looks great for a small space. how big is the room overall?

Nice setup dundarach! I love the extended Metroliner, and nice job building the custom table top default_classic.gif

1. It looks like you have or want to have a turntable. How does that work?

2. How about a pic of your rolling stock? I'm especially interested in what looks like a yellow train engine.

From the pictures, it looks like the yellow train station is in the location of the "turn table".

That yellow engine is from 4564 Freight Rail Runner default_classic.gif

The room is about 7.5 foot square and has a radiator under the window with the controls on it, hence the height of the boards.

And this is my 4th post so hopefully will be able to post the video soon....

I'm thinking of trying to adapt a cheap micro RC car to control loads of 4.5v engines too, rather than using the PF kits...any suggestions???

Edited by dundarach

The room is about 7.5 foot square and has a radiator under the window with the controls on it, hence the height of the boards.

And this is my 4th post so hopefully will be able to post the video soon....

I'm thinking of trying to adapt a cheap micro RC car to control loads of 4.5v engines too, rather than using the PF kits...any suggestions???

Another post .....

A video as requested :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUjVPc9jXBU&list=HL1345822690&feature=mh_lolz

Awaiting your final pictures and layout! :laugh:

Further to that, just one word to describe what i have seen so far: ENVY :thumbup:

Really awesome layout. I'd like to see a photo or two of that train station and turntable. Youtube doesn't work here in China unfortunately.

I've been laying in some Enlighten train cars and tracks while here in the Middle Kingdom and am hoping to get a big layout set up when (if?) we get back to the States, after getting some quality Lego motive power, of course. Hope it looks half-as-good as yours.

Being a Lego newbie (with a strong HO background) it's all a little daunting of course so posts such as yours really help a lot, thanks! Joe

Really awesome layout. I'd like to see a photo or two of that train station and turntable. Youtube doesn't work here in China unfortunately.

I've been laying in some Enlighten train cars and tracks while here in the Middle Kingdom and am hoping to get a big layout set up when (if?) we get back to the States, after getting some quality Lego motive power, of course. Hope it looks half-as-good as yours.

Being a Lego newbie (with a strong HO background) it's all a little daunting of course so posts such as yours really help a lot, thanks! Joe

Thanks for all the positive comments. :-)

As yet I've not built the turntable...

I'll take more photos and upload them.

Looks fine so far, but I was excited when I thought you would have a mountain layout with trains running at different heights.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Looks fine so far, but I was excited when I thought you would have a mountain layout with trains running at different heights.

Still might yet.....

However sorry for getting your hoes up :-)

Wow what a great layout! As for size I've just come from working in 'G' so Lego trains are just a lovely size for me :laugh:

With railway layouts it seems that the problem always is if you want to model the landscape or townscape in any detail then you don't have any room for trains and if you put in all the railway you want to have there's no room for the landscape/townscape. The problem diminishes if you've got a huge basement or disused aircraft hanger at your disposal, but for most of us the size of our house and the other necessary daily activities of our household usually limit any attempts at a take over bid.

That is a nice lot of engines and trucks there. I especially like the little black one with the tipper trucks.

Can I ask what the blue line is that is going from the window across the rest, is it a type of monorail? Can we have some close up pictures of it please?

That is a nice lot of engines and trucks there. I especially like the little black one with the tipper trucks.

Can I ask what the blue line is that is going from the window across the rest, is it a type of monorail? Can we have some close up pictures of it please?

I think its a blue era line beacause theres a blue era switch near the top right corner

It is blue 12v, there's nothing special on my railway :) too much time spent playing too worry....

However thanks for the nice comments a few more photos as requested:

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

264652_10151322566592801_467965571_n.jpg

407958_10151342341782801_230315110_n.jpg

485333_10151447784417801_1769932162_n.jpg

75355_10151337140017801_1480172407_n.jpg

526323_10151143670482801_1531513118_n.jpg

Edited by dundarach

Super nice layout dundarach, love the small steamer with the tipper trucks and also the use of blue track for the monorail, amazing how you've managed to stabilise seeing as blue track can fall apart quite easily.

Super nice layout dundarach, love the small steamer with the tipper trucks and also the use of blue track for the monorail, amazing how you've managed to stabilise seeing as blue track can fall apart quite easily.

Thanks, the answer is lots of legs and lots of long plates underneath as they do indeed fall apart grrrr :-)