Sign in to follow this  
Lieutenant_Colonel_Fifi

New Dino Theme Idea

UPDATE -- Added new sets. And I also want people to know that the set list is STILL INCOMPLETE.

Anyway.. I want to first clarify a couple of things first.

1. I KNOW there will not be any more Dino 2012 sets. So, therefore, I don't want to be bashed for wanting that theme to continue, which I don't anyway.

2. I want this to be a new theme. New thread. Independent from any previous thread out there. So, becuase of this, I want your thoughts. Do you like the idea? Do you think Lego should produce it? Do you think anything is totally unreasonable? TELL ME!

OK. *clears throat* That is done. Time for creativity!

This is a Dinosaur theme. That said, dino themes in the past have left horrible tastes in people's mouths. We need something new.. a fresh rethink of the theme. Here is some basic info to help you picture what I am picturing.

Theme Name -- ???????? ????????

# of Sets -- 12-20

Primary Brick Color -- Dark Orange

Packaging -- Box/Polybags

Types of Sets -- Vehicles, Structures, and Playsets

Average prices -- $10 - $130

Common pricepoints -- $12, $20, $35, $40, $50, $65, $80, $100, $124

Types of minifigs -- Scientists, hunters, Dino captors, and civilians

Average Minifig count -- 1-6

OK, can you see it? Can you picture it yet? No? OK, here are some of the sets. I'll be adding much more

Small Dino Battle Pack - $12

Minifigs - Anti-Dino Trooper x2

Dinosaurs - x3 Compsognathus, x1 Ceolophysis

Accessories - ATV

APC Ambush - $20

Minifigs - Anti-Dino Trooper x2, Anti-Dino Sergeant

Dinosaurs - Allosaurus

Accessories - Anti-Dino APC

Utahraptor Feeding Ground - $35

Minifigs - Scientist x1, Civilian x2

Dinosaurs - Stegosaurus, x2 Utahraptor

Accessories - Abandoned car, Streetlight x2, Ruined building

Dino Duel - $45

Minifigs - x1 Civilian, x1 Anti-Dino Trooper

Dinosaurs - Tyrannosaurus Rex, Triceratops

Accessories - House remnants, hedge, ATV

Seismosaurus Study - $70

Minifigs - x1 Scientist, x1 Anti-Dino General

Dinosaurs - x1 Seismosuarus

Accessories - Abandoned school bus, Tranquilizer turret, x2 tree

OK, that's it for now. Check back for more!

Edited by Lieutenant_Colonel_Fifi

Personally I'm not a fan of the new Dinosaur theme, but I don't hate it either... :wink: The dinosaus do look great though.

I loved dinasours as a kid, and I am still fascinated by them; however, I just don't think they translate well into Lego for some reason. If you can think of a way to do it, I'll jump aboard and get some sets if Lego would run with a great, creative plan, but I am skeptical. Who knows? Maybe you will change my mind as you provide more ideas.

If LEGO would do a new dino theme I hope it will look something like this:

tumblr_m444ygjyxz1qcakwvo1_1280.jpg

Edited by badboytje88

Well, all(osaurus) I'm interested in is the amount of dinosaur species. So if this this theme would include a Deinocheirus (that's essentially the opposite of a raptor: it has three meter long arms!) I would be sold.

<snip>

Classic! I actually had the T-Rex as a kid. I also had one of the ceratops dinos, but I can't remember which.

Those were fun, but knowledge is a killjoy. Like the fact that humans and dinosaurs cannot exist in the same atmosphere, due to density and composition. Gravity and tidal forces were also different due to the moon being far closer to the earth in the time of the dinosaurs. I know, minifigs aren't humans, but my modern and scifi minifigs adhere to known scientific facts.

This is what kills having a dinosaur theme for me, particuarly if the dinosaurs are faithful representations. The Dino Attack/2010 theme was actually better for me because they were supposed to be mutations let loose. I still enjoy my lizard-like raptor creature (black w/ lt. blue spots) because of this.

I probably would only use the faithful represented dinosaurs as displays in a natural history museum, or on their own, in their own time. That means you don't mix dinosaurs from diferent eras.

Edited by gedren_y

THAT would be great. I saw some playskool type toys from Mattel (who has the licence) last year, that were clearly based on Dinoriders. Also Jurassic Park 4 is confirmed to hit movies in a few years. So chances aren't so bad, for a new dinosaur line.

If my nickname and my signature don't convince you I'm an actual fan, why not head over to my fan site. http://www.dinoriders.eu :laugh:

Edited by Emperor Krulos

I kinda wish they would sort of merge it with some previous SciFii, History, Adventurers and Pirates materials and subjects, and just go full out Edgar Rice Burroughs on the subject. Give us The Lost World. Dino's, strange tribes, huge mammals, Victorian era Steampunk, it's got it all.

I actually want realistic dinosaurs. To this point I've even made plans for a museum-based series of extinct creatures.

Well, all(osaurus) I'm interested in is the amount of dinosaur species. So if this this theme would include a Deinocheirus (that's essentially the opposite of a raptor: it has three meter long arms!) I would be sold.

I doubt that LEGO would make a Deinocheirus for the main reason only the arms of that species have been discovered, and that few people even know what it is. :tongue:

This is a Dinosaur theme. That said, dino themes in the past have left horrible tastes in people's mouths. We need something new.. a fresh rethink of the theme. Here is some basic info to help you picture what I am picturing.

I wouldn't say the previous dino themes all left bad tastes. Dino 2012 is actually a good theme as far as the dinos themselves, the sets are not bad either but I don't like that over half the sets are trucks. There are only so many yellow utility trucks you really need. I love the dino models, and therein lies the main problem with the sets you suggested -- Dino 2012 used a number of the most popular dinosaurs, and the sets you listed here feature lesser-known dinosaurs that won't sell nearly as many sets. I think TLG will always want to have at least a few of the big stars in every Dino wave, and they're not going to launch a new Dino theme with those same guys so close to Dino 2012.

So I think it will be at least a few years before we see any more dinosaurs, and it will be a whole new direction - we speculated on the direction this could go in the Dino 2012 rumor thread. I like the idea of a time travel team investigating the Jurassic myself. When they do it, I hope they will re-use some of the dinos from the current theme, and introduce more new ones. I'd love to have a stegosaurus, and ankylosaurus would be cool.

I would love it if a new theme was just about the dinosaurs and only included dinosaurs and some scenery. There are only so many (dinosaur hunt-equipped) minifigures one needs.

My problem with the Dino themes is that the dinos need to be big, and they are all practically one piece. That makes them

-expensive

- not very interesting to build

I'd actually like to see a hero factory approach to this. Give us actual recognisable dinosaurs that we build. That way we can have them bigger,NBC articulated and kids can role play to their hearts content.

I don't get this thread. You say you want a new dino theme and that you know there won't be anymore of the latest dino theme and that it should be something fresh.

And then you suggest two sets that are nearly identical to sets that came out in this very theme?

???

More dinosaurs of any nature will always be welcomed by me. I just hope that when they do return the dinos at least keep the same design style as this latest theme, while introducing new dinosaurs.

By definition there aren't too many variable dinosaur themes. The most obvious are:

Caveman & Dinosaurs Theme

Victorian Era The Lost World

Present Day containment/research

SPACE DINOSAURS

Personally I'd want a Xenozoic (Cadillacs & Dinosaurs) styled theme.. but that's too unique to not be a copyright issue and it's not even close enough of a big property to get a nod at lego. Too bad, because customizable cars, sailboats, and planes with a big garage, poachers, lizardmen and a bunch of dinosaurs would make a hell of a lego theme!

Part of the problem is that we, the AFOLs will never find a Lego Dino theme that we are ever completely happy with. The first problem is that Dinosaurs are, and always have been, a form of crack for young males of a certain age. Roughly 6 ish. They are a Lego gateway drug. One of the best themes for this. But this means that any Dino sets have to be targeted at that audience. Which means they need certain types of play value, and they don't necessarily need to make a lot of sense in the way we older types rationalize them. Trucks + Dino's does not require a ton of thinking for a 6 year old. Trucks are great, Dino's are great. Trucks + Dino's = rapture. Just give them something to shoot. They haven't quite hit the age where you have to add Ninja's to everything yet either.

And then there is the other issue that prevents a huge level of Dino love in the AFOLs. That whole cost / value debate. Because of those big elaborate and fairly unique Dino molds, the Dino sets are a worse value per piece then even licensed sets. They are real expensive. This doesn't matter to the kid. He doesn't worry about Dutch plastic vs Chinese plastic. Cost per piece means nothing to him. He would like an extra minifig, but doesn't care if it's got a T Rex!

And attempting to turn the theme into something we would like, risks moving it upwards and above it's core target. ( Maybe we can compromise and get the to do a Classic Land of the Lost license? :sweet: )

tumblr_m444ygjyxz1qcakwvo1_1280.jpg

Holy hell. Thanks for the idea that you just gave me.

I wouldn't say the previous dino themes all left bad tastes. Dino 2012 is actually a good theme as far as the dinos themselves, the sets are not bad either but I don't like that over half the sets are trucks. There are only so many yellow utility trucks you really need. I love the dino models, and therein lies the main problem with the sets you suggested -- Dino 2012 used a number of the most popular dinosaurs, and the sets you listed here feature lesser-known dinosaurs that won't sell nearly as many sets. I think TLG will always want to have at least a few of the big stars in every Dino wave, and they're not going to launch a new Dino theme with those same guys so close to Dino 2012.

So I think it will be at least a few years before we see any more dinosaurs, and it will be a whole new direction - we speculated on the direction this could go in the Dino 2012 rumor thread. I like the idea of a time travel team investigating the Jurassic myself. When they do it, I hope they will re-use some of the dinos from the current theme, and introduce more new ones. I'd love to have a stegosaurus, and ankylosaurus would be cool.

Hmm, I seem to agree with one or two of your statements. And I love the Dino 2012 theme, it just won't come out with any more sets, I don't believe.

And I did say I'm not done suggesting sets. That list is incomplete.

I don't get this thread. You say you want a new dino theme and that you know there won't be anymore of the latest dino theme and that it should be something fresh.

And then you suggest two sets that are nearly identical to sets that came out in this very theme?

UGH. I don't want to even reply.

Keep in mind those aren't the only sets; I'm adding more once I get back from my vacation. And they aren't AT ALL comparable to the Dino 2012 sets.

Part of the problem is that we, the AFOLs will never find a Lego Dino theme that we are ever completely happy with. The first problem is that Dinosaurs are, and always have been, a form of crack for young males of a certain age. Roughly 6 ish. They are a Lego gateway drug. One of the best themes for this. But this means that any Dino sets have to be targeted at that audience. Which means they need certain types of play value, and they don't necessarily need to make a lot of sense in the way we older types rationalize them. Trucks + Dino's does not require a ton of thinking for a 6 year old. Trucks are great, Dino's are great. Trucks + Dino's = rapture. Just give them something to shoot. They haven't quite hit the age where you have to add Ninja's to everything yet either.

And then there is the other issue that prevents a huge level of Dino love in the AFOLs. That whole cost / value debate. Because of those big elaborate and fairly unique Dino molds, the Dino sets are a worse value per piece then even licensed sets. They are real expensive. This doesn't matter to the kid. He doesn't worry about Dutch plastic vs Chinese plastic. Cost per piece means nothing to him. He would like an extra minifig, but doesn't care if it's got a T Rex!

And attempting to turn the theme into something we would like, risks moving it upwards and above it's core target. ( Maybe we can compromise and get the to do a Classic Land of the Lost license? :sweet: )

I'm not suggesting this for AFOLs. At least, not the most of them. I'm suggesting something that is meant for kids - because I think like TLG, not as an AFOL.

That's all I've got to say.

I don't get why we don't just get a theme where we can have dinosaurs (selling point one, both kids and adults) with some scenery (selling point two, mainly for adults and the more interested kid). By eliminating the complex vehicle there is more budget space for the dinosaurs; let's face it, without the HQ, the Dino HQ set would have cost half as much as it actually did. Sure it wouldn't have been much of a HQ, but how many yellow and grey high-tech buildings were there in the Mesozoic?

After I saw the CMF caveman I though the a prehistoric theme would be great. As being set in the prehistoric age we could get a lot of foliage like trees and bushes bushes, a cave for the home, fires, spears, dino traps and steer away from vehicles and buildings. We could see different eras in this theme like ice age with sabre tooth tigers and woolly mammoths. We could bring back moulded base plates or even flat plates with river prints etc.

After I saw the CMF caveman I though the a prehistoric theme would be great. As being set in the prehistoric age we could get a lot of foliage like trees and bushes bushes, a cave for the home, fires, spears, dino traps and steer away from vehicles and buildings. We could see different eras in this theme like ice age with sabre tooth tigers and woolly mammoths. We could bring back moulded base plates or even flat plates with river prints etc.

Why do I suspect you grew up in the 70's and are familiar with a certain line of classic snap together kits from a beloved defunct company? :tongue:

http://www.tylisaari.com/prehistoricscenes/ps.html

UGH. I don't want to even reply.

Keep in mind those aren't the only sets; I'm adding more once I get back from my vacation. And they aren't AT ALL comparable to the Dino 2012 sets.

I'm not suggesting this for AFOLs. At least, not the most of them. I'm suggesting something that is meant for kids - because I think like TLG, not as an AFOL.

That's all I've got to say.

I was just pointing out to you a bit of a contradiction by what you are suggesting. You say they aren't comparable at all... but yet they are literally the exact same thing. Without a model to show off your ideas I would suggest being far more descriptive!

Also, I know it's a "wish list" but you should try to keep in mind the real world sets & prices. I'd love sets with 3 or 4 dinosaurs, some minifigs and a vehicle or building for under 30 dollars but it will never happen. Like it or not, the recent Dino wave is indicitive of what prices will be like for any Dino based theme in the future. You can't expect a 12 dollar set with 3 dinos, sadly.

As to your new set ideas, it seems that you are pushing this theme rather than present day response to dinosaurs to "near future" where dinosaurs have taken over again. The "abbandoned vehicles as scenery" bits are far more akin to something that an AFOL would do, and to my knowledge have never appeared in an official set(The closest thing might be a shipwreck, the swamp X wing or the downed Warthog from Megabloks Halo). These sound like they would make some pretty awesome MOCs (and I would like to see them!) but they would never even make it past the suggestion stage for sets.

As to dinosaur licenses, Land of the Lost would be great! Unfortunately the time definitely passed for that.. maybe if the recent film wasn't such a blatant comedy but more of a comical adventure film (Like Pirates of the Caribbean) we would have had a real shot at a franchise and licensing deals. Alas, it didn't.

I'm still somewhat surprised we never saw an effective Jurassic Park line. They even had the official license and churned out only a couple of really sub par sets(even for the time). I have a sneaking suspicion that the recent Dino line -may- have been at some stage of development as an official Jurassic Park line, as the fourth film has been -almost- made for a few years now. Hasbro has a shelved line of Jurassic Park toys that were developed(and look rediculously awesome) for a potential JP4 film.. I can only hope that once the film actually gets made(now on the fast track for 2014) these make it out. But I digress.. it will be an opportune time for an "official" JP lego theme, and it would be great to have it be like the Indiana Jones theme and have some iconic sets from the other movies, like The Lost World trailers and the Command Center and gate, car etc from the original film.

Actually back in 2011 on the preliminary image for Dino Defense HQ there was a small dinosaur in the place of the Celophysis. It went up to a minifigures shoulder or waiste,and it was dark orange with black stripes,it had one stud on its back (so its definatly Lego),it was a carnivore,so what do you guys think???? Also there was 4 unknown dino hunters on the boxes of the preliminary pictures. Oh and there was also a volcanic/ash field type background on the preliminary picture for the HQ set so.........

I'd love to see official brick-built dinosaur skeletons. I used to build the wood models as a kid, and it seems natural for LEGO to make a set like this. It could be built similarly to the action figures and would have crossover with the City theme as part of a mining moc or a museum.

Jurassic Park

Especially with Jurassic Park 3D coming out next year and Jurassic Park IV in 2014.

Edited by Rune Haako