Fugazi

The Unofficial LEGO Collectors Guide RAFFLE

7564727858_8674b46211_z.jpg

Would you like to win one of five copies of member Gary Istok's definitive work 'Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide 1949-1990s'? Nothing simpler! :sweet:

Just post once in this thread, and tell us which LEGO set you would choose if you were offered to pick one from the fabled LEGO Vault! For the purposes of this raffle, let's just assume that the LEGO Vault contains every set LEGO ever made, from the dawn of LEGO right to the present day. Would you pick up an old set impossible to find today, a very limited exclusive, or simply the biggest set ever made? Tell us and you will be in for a chance to win Gary Istok's complete e-book, in a convenient download format (no waiting for a DVD to ship!).

Read what Gary has to say in praise of the Unofficial Collectors Guide, the most exhaustive historical account of LEGO sets and parts that has ever been written:

I spent the last 2 years doing a LOT of research about LEGO... got a lot of research info from the Billund Archives, and with my network of LEGO friends from around the world (especially Europe!), I had compiled another Encyclopedic volume on the history of LEGO sets and parts... labeled THE UNOFFICIAL LEGO SETS/PARTS COLLECTORS GUIDE (1949-1990s) on DVD (it got too big at 700MB to be a CD!).

There are 2,800 pages with an excess of 6000 images, many historic, many never before seen. This includes everything from green classic windows/doors of Norway (1954), to the very rare GEAS LEGO sets of Sweden (1950), to a brown box Town Plan set that was a Sears Department Store exclusive in the USA (1969). There are chapters on everything imaginable from Promotional sets for the Scandinavian Ferry Lines, to the Weetabix and Kellogg's Cereal sets of Britain/Ireland... there are Italian Minitalia style sets sold in Japan... a wavy flag of the Faroe Islands (looks similar to the other 5 Scandinavian flags), wooden box sets in 80 different flavors... Continental European retailer individual parts boxes... a French/Norwegian/Danish #800 set so unusual (1965-66) that no instructions were included, and we are left without any model ideas to build. There are the variations to the gray 12V train track era sets that came in different boxes, with different contents... all the Scala Necklace/Jewelry sets, Paradisa in all its' pink glory, every Fabuland set ever made, the legendary 1:87 cars/trucks that can command up to $4000 per vehicle.

73 chapters, 4 appendices, 2 price lists, and one large table of contents... 1/3 of a million words... it's all there...

You can even improve your chances of winning by sending me (Fugazi) a PM with the answer to the following 3 quiz questions! For each correct answer, you will be granted one extra chance in the draw! Please make sure to send in your answers by Personal Messenger and do not post them in this thread, unless you don't mind everyone else copying your answers! :rofl:

Question 1:
In what year were the 1300 and 1301 Mosaik sets first produced?

Question 2:
Which former LEGOLAND park is currently known as Hansa-Park?

Question 3:
What LEGO-related tragedy happened on February 4, 1960?

Hint: The answers can all be found somewhere on Eurobricks, perhaps in one of the topics started by Gary (LEGO Historian)? :wink:

Do you want your own copy of the Unofficial Collectors Guide, but can't be bothered to take part in this raffle or answer quiz questions? Just head to Gary's online store for details on how to order directly from him.

The small print:

You have exactly one week from the time this topic was created to post here and to PM your answers should you choose to do so (that is, until 15 August 2012, 0800 GMT/UTC) . This raffle is open to all Eurobricks members registered before this topic was created.

Good luck to all! :sweet:

Ahhh, what a hard question to answer! I am tempted to say Green Grocer, as it's price is well out of my reach now, but i think i'd have to go instead for 6086 "The Black Knights' Castle". :thumbup:

I would choose 4954 Model Town House. The reason for this is simple, it's one of the Creator Houses that I like best for its classic exteriors and is one that I'm missing at home. :classic:

Please take note: I have slightly altered the wording of Question 1 to make sure there is no possible confusion. Feel free to submit a new answer if you think you may have misunderstood the question. Thank you! :sweet:

Question 1: In what year were the 1300 and 1301 Mosaik sets first produced?

I would opt for the 7750 Steam Engine as a train fan. I think that was one of the very best trains that LEGO ever produced. Apart from that it has the most rare parts of all trains (red bogies, buffers, those black windows, etc.). An second option after the 7750 would be a limited Santa Fe super chief.

That's really hard. Probably I would choose no one to avoid one set missing in the LEGO Vault. But if I would be forced I might head for 10182 Café Corner. Just because it is too expensive right now. Some other classic sets like the 6399 Airport Shuttle are cheaper (yet).

Nice little raffle by the way! Would be a great birthday present for me. :)

That would without any doubt be 928 Lego Space Galaxy Explorer :wub:

I would choose Technic set 856 "Bulldozer". The first Technic bulldozer LEGO made. This model had plenty of functions, ingenius gear mechanism and even looks like an bulldozer.

Brickset 856

I would possibly choose the 10179 - UCS Millenium Falcon. Not because it is the second biggest set ever made, but because it is the space ship, that might have influenced me the most - ever!

I would take the 10179 - UCS Millenium Falcon , because I allways will regret not buying that one .

I know its a popular choice here but I too would take the 10179 UCS Millenium Falcon. How could you not! It looks to be an amazing build, it looks amazing and is highly collectable.

A wooden toy. Any wooden toy. So i can have something from every generation of LEGO.

Peter

I'd be torn between the 10179 Millennium Falcon and the 6399 Airport Shuttle, probably opting for the former only because of the secondary market markup which makes it entirely unaffordable.

Hmm, this was a surprisingly difficult question to answer actually, but I think I'll have to go with the 4000001-1 LEGO Inside Tour 2011 set.