Sign in to follow this  
Hrw-Amen

MOC: Green & Black 4-6-0 Steam Train

green_steam_train_c.jpgI have recently finished building my latest steam engine. It is based on a Hughes 4-6-0 built for the L&YR. I would have liked to make the boiler area mostly out of green bricks, but unfortunately I did not have anything like enough in green to do this so I decided to go for mainly black as I had a lot of this. I think to be more realistic though it needs to be the other way round.

This train is based around the normal PF train motor but coupled to the large drivers. I have had trouble getting it around curves and over points/switches, but having rearranged the wheels so that the front two pairs of the larger wheels are the drivers it does much better. Still it slows a lot on standard curves though.

Following my other recent thread though discussing how other's drive their steam trains I am thinking about placing the motor in a rebuilt tender though as this already contains the battery and IR Unit. It should not be too hard to do and may enable me to get the engines wheels a little closer together which will hopefully enable it to run through curves better. The trouble is that I do not really want them cramped up like in the EN build as I do not think this looks realistic. Also they are the same distance apart as the wheels on the red steam engine (This uses 4-4-0 set up but still has the same number and same spaced large drivers but uses the 4.5V motor.) and that goes through them fine so I'm not sure what the issue is? It goes through fine when being pushed by hand, it is just when powered. I am hoping that a new powered tender may help solve the issue.

I am uncertain as to whether to try leaving a motor in the engine itself as well as having one on the tender. The wheels will be different sizes though so I am thinking that may be an issue as they will therefore be going at different speeds I assume?

Bricklink Gallery: My link

Flickr Gallery: My link

I just saw this on bricklink, I must say this is a nice loco you've made. Don't feel so bad about the color, I too have had some great mocs in the building stage only to find out I don't have enough of a particular color (like dark green) but for what you had this still looks really good.

I just purchased the new PF train motor and I was thinking of adding drivers to it as well.

Any plans on adding some coaches for it?

I am thinking about making some green coaches. I'd like them to be similar to the old Southern Rail colours, however it will require the purchase of more green bits for that. I think it will be a long term project. At the moment I am also working on a couple of goods wagons which are also using many green and natural colours and I can't have too many things on the go at once as I don't have room on my desk.

I have updated this engine now following some helpful comments and tips from members to improved performance.

The tender has been rebuilt as a powered one whereas the loco is now free running. It goes an awful lot better. Sometimes getting skidding on sharp points and curves but no derailments. This seems to be a case of traction rather than a lack of power though. Maybe some better tires would sort it out?

Link to flickr gallery: