Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

Covenant Rebuild Idea

So I did a CAD design of the new idea for the Sienna and the feedback has been positive.

The Seinna is going to be very different as I am attempting to incorporate both lateen sail rigging and oars into the mix. I, however, also want to redo the Covenant as the new Sienna will be stealing the hulls of the Covenant.

A link to the old Covenant

The new Covenant will be have 3 brown (wide) middle hulls and most likely two masts (or maybe a small mizzen mast as well?). Unlike the Sienna, which is definately a Xebec, I have not decided on a type of ship for the Covenant or many of the design elements.

That is why I am opening this thread. I want some ideas on what the new Covenant should look like. I need a color scheme, and maybe a type of ship to build off of. I am also thinking of using this type of construction for my center hulls...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The color scheme in those pictures, however, would not the scheme of the new ship.

Only thing is, I might actually be more tempted to do something like this on a rebuilt Arbiter. I know, probably biting off more than I can chew...

Ultimately I guess I want to know

1) suggestions for color scheme considering I will be using red Imperial Guards with the tan and red sails we have all come to love.

2) whether the type of construction above should be used on the Covenant, or if I should use the idea on a newly rebuilt Arbiter instead and

3) if there is a particular type of ship/rigging that anyone would like to see attempted, or that anyone has found works really well with Lego Pirate ships?

Are you going to do a CAD design of the Covenant rebuild?

Unlikely. I will be taking test on Monday and Wednesday, and I will study in between the two. Then I will leave for my parents house for Christmas on Thursday. At which point I will focus my attention first on the Sienna rebuild, and with the extra time, the Covenant. That is why I was hoping for some fast insipration here!

Unlikely. I will be taking test on Monday and Wednesday, and I will study in between the two. Then I will leave for my parents house for Christmas on Thursday. At which point I will focus my attention first on the Sienna rebuild, and with the extra time, the Covenant. That is why I was hoping for some fast insipration here!

Since its Wednesday in most parts of the world now I'm probably a bit late, but anyway...

Exactly what kind of inspirations were you looking for? Just those addressed in the first post?

I'll tackle #1

1) suggestiongs for color scheme considering I will be using red Imperial Guards with the tan and red sails we have all come to love.

I'd say if you're going for the Imperial Flagship type sails then go really easy on the blue because it contrasts too much with these sales.

We already know that brown works with them, but it depends what kind of hull you're going to use, whether it be hull pieces or custom. Obviously with the hull pieces you're limited to red, black, white and dark grey. I'm wondering how those sails would work with the dark grey hull...

We already know that brown works with them, but it depends what kind of hull you're going to use, whether it be hull pieces or custom. Obviously with the hull pieces you're limited to red, black, white and dark grey. I'm wondering how those sails would work with the dark grey hull...

I am using the wider prefab hulls, brown. It is still 1 hour until Wednesday in the United States Right now.

I am using Red, Black and Dark Gray on the Sienna, and everyone knows the (current) version of the Arbiter is White and Blue. I am tempted to Use Red and Black and Dark Grey (I have a lot of Red and black, though I am a little light on Dark Gray) again on another ship (Arbiter Rebuild?) with the Red hulls... but I would prefer to not use the same color scheme on all three ships...

I think I have a lot of MidStone and Blay to Use up. Midestone, and Blay and Blue with brown hulls could be okay so long as the blue was used sparingly, like on the gun ports. I also think Black and Yellow looks pretty good, and I am open to Black and White, but I want to know if there is some other scheme out there that people think looks really cool...

Also, any suggestions for ship type... i.e., type of rigging, number of decks, or masts?

i'd be cautious about using plated SNOT walls on the ship. If the walls were mostly black, it would probably 'cover up' most of the 'studdyness' of the walls. Also, maybe try having the top deck 1 stud less wider on each side than the bottom deck. It looks like it may be a little top heavy. Just suggestions.

i hope you can pull off a great look with that design! it would definetely be unique compared to most of the other ships i've built or seen on EB lately.

Edit:

Here is a couple of suggestions that i found at this website.

The rigging on the mizzen masts of these look pretty neato.

Brigantinediag.jpg

Barquentinediag.jpg

I think I have a lot of MidStone and Blay to Use up. Midestone, and Blay and Blue with brown hulls could be okay so long as the blue was used sparingly, like on the gun ports. I also think Black and Yellow looks pretty good, and I am open to Black and White, but I want to know if there is some other scheme out there that people think looks really cool...

I haven't seen too many ships using these newer colours so I'd be wondering how harmoniously they're going work with the older brown hulls since apparently the older colour palette is on a "different spectrum".

I haven't seen too many ships using these newer colours so I'd be wondering how harmoniously they're going work with the older brown hulls since apparently the older colour palette is on a "different spectrum".

Interesting... well maybe I will take a stab and see.

i'd be cautious about using plated SNOT walls on the ship. If the walls were mostly black, it would probably 'cover up' most of the 'studdyness' of the walls. Also, maybe try having the top deck 1 stud less wider on each side than the bottom deck. It looks like it may be a little top heavy. Just suggestions.

i hope you can pull off a great look with that design! it would definetely be unique compared to most of the other ships i've built or seen on EB lately.

Ahh!! those look like Barquentines my lad! Yes, I kind of like the Fore and Aft riggins like that... It is a possibility for sure! Schooners also use fore-aft rigging, but often do not have any square rigging on them.

And if I did do the SNOT method on the sides, I would be tempted to put some tiles across them to make it look smoother. I just fear I would not have neraly enough of them. I have been considering multiple methods, we'll what I can come up with!

Also, if you look at my Arbiter, you will notice that I have used the tappered/sloped design from lower to upper deck like you are doing on your frigate. I liked how sleek it made it look, but idisliked how narrow it got. I guess the design I am showing here is using the wider hulls so perhaps it wouldn't be as annoying as I found it to be on the Arbiter. We shall see!

Thanks for the input!

Yes, good idea old chap! Will you be taking progress pictures?

Well... first of all... Old Chap? I have only been on this forum for like 2 months!

And secondly... I guess I actually could take progress pictures. I will do so for the Sienna for sure, and the Covenant depending on how far I get.

I just hope my bricklink order arrives tomorrow!

i look forward to see the newer colors on this ship. After my frigate's done i hope to build a bomb ketch on a brown hull with mostly rown(reddish-brown :-P ) bricks

And if I did do the SNOT method on the sides, I would be tempted to put some tiles across them to make it look smoother. I just fear I would not have neraly enough of them. I have been considering multiple methods, we'll what I can come up with!

maybe just put the tiles on the lighter colors.

I just hope my bricklink order arrives tomorrow!

i'm hoping my amazon book order gets here Wed. or Thurs., bought a few of those books mentioned in this thread for my brother.

BTW. I like your new signiture, it looks real good

BTW. I like your new signiture, it looks real good

Well my Cam actually has good resolution, but I couldn't get the lighting right to zoom in as I wanted. I am actually going to rework the signature a bit, but it will essentially have the same composition as you see there.

i'm hoping my amazon book order gets here Wed. or Thurs., bought a few of those books mentioned in this thread for my brother.

Yes, I have looked a few times for the cross section book locally, but no one has it. I may have to break down and order it too!

I'm hoping my amazon book order gets here Wed. or Thurs., bought a few of those books mentioned in this thread for my brother.

Wich book have you ordered?

Well... first of all... Old Chap? I have only been on this forum for like 2 months!

Everyone is an "old chap" late at night... Lethargic silliness sets in.

And secondly... I guess I actually could take progress pictures.

The season I suggest progress pictures is because its easier to give feedback when there have been some changes, rather than "here's the built ship, tell me what you think". With the progress pictures we can guide you towards the design's resolution - if you want that level of feedback that is. It would probably also slow down construction depending how fast the feedback was posted.

But anyway, it was just a thought young laddie :S

The season I suggest progress pictures is because its easier to give feedback when there have been some changes, rather than "here's the built ship, tell me what you think". With the progress pictures we can guide you towards the design's resolution - if you want that level of feedback that is. It would probably also slow down construction depending how fast the feedback was posted.

Yeah, well even if I do not get immediate feedback, at least we could see it all in progress. I kind of like seeing work in progress pictures, so I might take them anyway, even if not for feedback!

It just depends how fast you work. If you post a feedback picture every couple of days you should get a few posts in between, but if you post one every couple of hours then you might not be any.

However, keep a record of your progress can be interesting and beneficial for your MOCing skills.

Okay here is another version. The exposure on the camera makes them look orange. They really are red.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Nice, looks really cool! Especially incorporating in new pieces! Why removal walls though?

Nice, looks really cool! Especially incorporating in new pieces! Why removal walls though?

so you can see in to the lower deck of course!!

Okay here is another version. The exposure on the camera makes them look orange. They really are red.

why am I getting IPB image every time this thread loads? Is something strange going on?

Mr Z, it seems you used this technique on the new Arbiter, are you still gonna use it on the Covenant?

Ah, excellent question! Well if you read the first post, you will notice I say I was unsure if I wanted to use this technique for the Covenant or a rebuilt Arbiter. I went with the Arbiter.

My main thing on this ship is to use some of the new colors to see how they work. I think this means the ship is going to be brown, Midstone and Blay. We'll see how that works out. The Sienna and the Arbiter turned out very well if you ask me, and part of that I think is that they use some unique ideas. As such, I want to come up with something different, again, for the Covenant.