Sign in to follow this  
robuko

The Auction

It is a terrible time in Historica.

Grotesque creatures under the control of Victor Revolword have ransacked the land, leaving misery and devastation in their wake. In these times of formless chaos and terror, the people look to their leading citizens to show them a path to safety and a better tomorrow. Or any tomorrow.

Some of the richest citizens of Kaliphlin have gathered to discuss their strategy at the private office of Ephraim Nobel, in Lost Vega.

7690587230_8555640817_z.jpg

Ephraim opened the conversation, "My friends, these are times of crisis and chaos, and we must look for opportunities to build a better future. This is why I have invited you here today. Each of you has money, power, and the influence in your community to make things happen. I see it like this. Either we will together overcome these seemingly unsurmountable difficulties with our ingenuity, teamwork, and unfailing good cheer. Or we all die.

So what I am saying is, there has never been a better time to get very long land. Look, there are a lot of motivated sellers right now. They can't pay the finance costs because the tenants have all fled, they are forced to sell out at pennies in the dollar. When these elementals are dealt with, these are prime sites that will get repopulated and the values will go up a hundred times. And if you're dead, you can't take it with you, so it's a one-way trade. Can't lose. Today I have some very premium areas to show you, no reserve prices, and open auction basis. Kalihpllin, Avalonia, Nocturnus, whatever you like.

Lot number one, the (formerly) beautiful mountain village of Snowfell in Mitgardia. With original deeds and grant of title - yes, this one gets you a Dukedom. 1400 acres. Good grazing, forestry, hunting, clean water and plentiful copper ores, good climate for fungi. Huge potential to bring the Dwarves in. All wooden construction, and that was the slight problem when it was razed by the fire elemental. Very motivated seller, vampire financiers, know what I mean. What will you give for this lovely plot? Do I head one thousand crowns? Five hundred?"

The select gathering looked at each other in surprise. This was the crisis meeting? Looting the misfortunes of the poor to add to their own considerable fortunes?

Mr Slant the Zombie cleared his throat, "I think I speak for us all, Mr Nobel, when I say that capital is tight at the moment and we need to prepare for the expenses of the campaign. The people would see it as a frivolous waste if we were to throw away money on speculation. At that price. I am, however, a generous man, and always keen to help my fellow Historicans in distress. I would be prepared to offer a donation of say one hundred and fifty crowns to ease the woes of the selling party."

Daniel Dee conferred briefly with his werewolf bodyguard. Was this a valid use of the funds that Lord Darecold had provided to arm the rebellion? And what would the finance cost be? "Two Hundred!"

And so, the rich of the land got down to business. The business of helping themselves.

:classic:

director's notes

Not all commerce in Historica is goods and chattels, I wanted to show the valuable role of commercial services in the economy.

This build is an adaptation of my Hogwarts build (click the pic to go there).

7672121012_1398d1218e_q.jpg

Edited by robuko

People in Kalaphlin, buying parts of Mitgardia! This is an outrage! Konugard was only a days ride from Snowfell! Our villages were destroyed by the same elemental!

Beautiful and clever design robuko! :thumbup: I love the curved masonry of the walls, and the boats used as bookshelves. :wub: The color scheme also works perfectly! Masterful work; well done! :sweet:

Great entry! The curved walls are excellent, I also really like the use of Heroica tiles in the floor :thumbup:

The cannons used to hold the scrolls is a cool idea :classic:

Great entry! The curved walls are excellent, I also really like the use of Heroica tiles in the floor :thumbup:

The cannons used to hold the scrolls is a cool idea :classic:

I'm always partial to curved things. The floor, the boats for bookshelves, the technic wall. That you added an extra alcove at the back and didn't keep it a round tower :thumbup: I just love this.

Edit: Do you have more pictures on flickr or somewhere?

Edited by Cara

A lot of creative use of pieces, especially love the diece tiles! :thumbup:

Great entry here! love the use of the boat as book shelf! might have to use that myself in the future!

So much to like and love in this moc! The base is the true masterpiece here for sure! So nice!! :wub: The boats as bookshelfs?! Great work mate!

People in Kalaphlin, buying parts of Mitgardia! This is an outrage! Konugard was only a days ride from Snowfell! Our villages were destroyed by the same elemental!

Ephraim is only acting for the seller. Kaliphlin is the preferred venue due to our favourable tax treatment and strict adherence to the rule of law. Faith in the Mitgardian code appears to have be a little lower than previously under the new administration there :tongue: in the end, the winning bid was a Mitgardian, and when the road is repaired, your links to Snowfell will be restored.

Beautiful and clever design robuko! :thumbup: I love the curved masonry of the walls, and the boats used as bookshelves. :wub: The color scheme also works perfectly! Masterful work; well done! :sweet:

Many thanks SoT!

I'm always partial to curved things. The floor, the boats for bookshelves, the technic wall. That you added an extra alcove at the back and didn't keep it a round tower :thumbup: I just love this.

Edit: Do you have more pictures on flickr or somewhere?

Thanks Cara! I must admit, the shape was set by basing it on the film version of Dumbledore's Pffice. I have more pictures for the Dumbledore's Office detail on my flickr. I only got one good shot of the auction house I'm afraid.

Great entry here! love the use of the boat as book shelf! might have to use that myself in the future!

Thanks MikeyB! Please do! As I was building this, I saw there was a topic on the pirate forum about what to do with small boats, and this seemed the obvious choice to me.

Thanks all for stopping by and for your kind comments on this build :blush:, it really took a long time to work out those walls.

:classic:

Interesting take on the commerce challenge Robuko... if somewhat depressing! Reminds me of the bushfires around here a couple of years back, certainly gave a new meaning to the term "fire sale". :cry_sad: I love this build though, it has so much character and tons of lovely details. Nice to see the liftarm technique for making walls get a run, and the alcove at the back is a great touch! The furniture is also inspired. :thumbup:

Stunning! A lot to love here, the base and ofcourse the use of the boats. But I also really like the use of the canons. :thumbup: