CarsonBrick

Modular Madness: French Cafe

indexed.gif B-OM-28E

Finally it's done! I literally started this right after they mentioned the contest and I have spent countless hours trying to get every little detail I can in it. Oh, and the editing took forever too. I had to mask out like every color on every picture just for color correction. Hopefully it payed off. The main floor is a French Cafe (Obviously), the second story is an apartment, and the third story is an attic which is complete with a little surprise. Anyways, I hope you like it and don't hesitate to make a comment! :sweet:

7674611098_a490a4b000_z.jpg

French Cafe by Carson Hart, on Flickr

7674610400_9624ce4ab7_z.jpg

French Cafe Back by Carson Hart, on Flickr

7674609818_efd1dce713_c.jpg

French Cafe Interior by Carson Hart, on Flickr

Please disregard the lack of bathroom :tongue:

7674609200_2dfccd35d9.jpg

Apartment Interior by Carson Hart, on Flickr

Not what could he be building?

7674608596_d262ab15c8_c.jpg

Hugo at Work! by Carson Hart, on Flickr

Thank you so much for this amazing contest and best of luck to all who entered! :sweet:

That is one nice MOC! I like that it looks like 2 buildings when it is actually one only!

The facade is beautiful!

Do I spy an illegal business operation upstairs? :laugh:

That MOC is great because it's so detailed. The multicoloured roof and side-wall definitely give it this excellent weathered feel. :wink:

Very nice and realistic.

I love the terrasse and the "brasero" and all the details in the interior.

Very good entry. Good Luck

Wonderful work Carson - I faved this on Eurobricks.

A top effort jam packed with wonderful details inside and out!

I thought the exterior on it's own was fabulous, the colours the details and facade are great but the details inside are next level too!

I salute you sir!

These look great and colorful. I personally am a fan of facades with lots of windows so you hit the spot with this one.

The brick build black chairs are <3

This looks amazing. I have to say thanks for entering at the last minute, or else there might not have been so many entries!

I am a little confused though - how would it connect to other modular buildings, it doesn't seem to have the technic holes and there is a plant on one side?

Great work on the Cafe, it looks very realistic :thumbup: I also really like your weathered walls and hinge up roofs.

The shrub on the sidewalk and newspaper boy are cool details too :classic:

I :wub: the cafe interior, oh that menu board is fantastic....in fact the whole design is wonderful ! :sweet:

Good luck 'CarsonBrick' and Brick On ! :classic:

The ground floor in particular is gorgeous, inside and out. Perfect colours, superb detailing. I also very much like the details above the window on the tan part of the first floor. And the cactus. And the birds... :)

The greenery and light bluish grey bars on the left side of the building pose a problem because they make it incompatible with another building on that side, and as LeeMcG said, the connection points are missing. But the building itself is a(nother) great entry.

I really like all the work you put into making it look weathered. I also love the workshop upstairs and the unique way it opens up. The lack of connection points, the shrubbery, and railing on one side means this can't be joined with other modulars. Unfortunatly those things combined with the lack of a bathroom, in either the cafe or apartment detract from all of your hard work.

That being said, the amount of hard work you have put into details really show and I do like the two exteriors housing a single interior is very nice.

Edited by gotoAndLego

This looks excellent! The interior of that cafe is fantastic. The time you spent putting on those finshing touches clearly payed off. :classic:

Thank you so much everyone!

This looks amazing. I have to say thanks for entering at the last minute, or else there might not have been so many entries!

I am a little confused though - how would it connect to other modular buildings, it doesn't seem to have the technic holes and there is a plant on one side?

First of all, thanks! I actually do have technic holes on both sides of the building. The reason I had some foliage on the side is mostly because it would look really boring without it. I sort of thought of the building as one that would be at the end of a street anyways. The piping is there because I thought it looked really good having is circle around the building. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the building for you :blush:

Hopefully it doesn't ruin the building for you :blush:

It doesn't ruin the building for me, I think its quite nice, but it does break from the rules and conventions of the modular system, ie. buildings are either connected in a row, or they are corner units with the side walk around two sides. FWIW I really like your details, like the patio heaters.

Edited by gotoAndLego

It doesn't ruin the building for me, I think its quite nice, but it does break from the rules and conventions of the modular system, ie. buildings are either connected in a row, or they are corner units with the side walk around two sides. FWIW I really like your details, like the patio heaters.

I totally understand. I just wanted something there since it seemed so plain without it. And thank! Those were actually the first things I built out of the whole creation! :tongue:

This is a (another) great MOC for the MM contest. Both houses are greatly detailed and together they make a great pair. Also the interiors of both building is a nice addition in the MOC. My favourite detail is the 'weathered' look with different shades of colours. Good luck in the contest!

I really like the recessed seating area with cloth awnings. I may have to borrow that idea in the future. Most restaurants that have outdoor seating (in Lego world) seem to eat into the sidewalk too much, but not that idea.

Good luck in the contest!

Wonderful MOC! Love the different colors.

Is that Frodo's torso on the bottom right corner of the first image? :laugh:

Edited by SheepEater

Thanks guys!

Wonderful MOC! Love the different colors.

Is that Frodo's torso on the bottom right corner of the first image? :laugh:

Ha! Yes it is :D

This is a fantastic entry. I love the way the facades of the buildings are subtly textured without being gaudy. The patio furniture is also very realistic and LEGO-looking - a great mix for modulars. The figs walking down the sidewalk are gonna have a hard time getting past it though! :tongue:

This is a fantastic entry. I love the way the facades of the buildings are subtly textured without being gaudy. The patio furniture is also very realistic and LEGO-looking - a great mix for modulars. The figs walking down the sidewalk are gonna have a hard time getting past it though! :tongue:

Thanks! I'm sure the newspaper boy will just have to sell them a paper for him to get out of the way :tongue: