Pirate Vs Islander  

310 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Islander sets?

• I love them!
    • They're alright
    • Not really
    • They're a disgrace to the Pirate theme

Well lets see some of these Moai MOCs you've made laddie! :-D
with the long list of WW MOCs i've got lined up... there probably wont be any time for finalizing my islanders.

maybe one day you'll get luck phes, and i'll loose interest in WW MOCing :-P :-D

- BrickMiner

No continue your Wild West MOCing, you seem to be doing an excellent job with those and if that's where your motivation is then make the most of it.

But the good news is I've finally got a freakin awesome Digital SRL Camera so you'll be seeing some Islander MOCs out of me soon. As soon as my eBay orders arrive...

Phes, is there any way you or another EB admin could change this poll, so that you must make a post in the pirate form before you can vote? That could force these anonymous islander lovers to come out of hiding and say why they like them so much. I'm curious about why they outnumber the other votes and are so silent.

X-D :-D

I don't mind them. I only had a couple of islander figs but all that changed in December. A 20kg lot of lego arrived from england which contained an Enchanted Island, and the week before my girlfriend had ordered me an enchanted island and a couple of others from the netherlands for christmas, thinking that I didn't have enough islanders and not realising a large set was already on the way. Thats alright though, cause now I have enough for a decent desert island. Just need some more foliage and green and yellow bricks. Blue baseplates wouldn't go astray either.

let's revive this thread!

I voted "love them" And why?

because they bring so much to pirate theme. Pirate theme is naturally all about sea-battles, right?

Now you can make island or a big shore where they live and now the land battles begin..Now you can make a big jungle where the islanders blend in and they are hard to defeat because they know the jungle so well. And the best of all is that you can choose: are they peace loving or bad folk..and now the british/french have a new enemy..If they live in the same continent with the british/french they can attack them also, I bet they don't expect that :-D and of course you can make a great temple where they sacrifice ugly frenchmen or captain redbeard himself ;-) And of course there is one thing what I always wondered..allmost every pirate set comes with a map with X-mark on but there is not really a set where you can dig the treasure!? maybe the treasure is in the natives' land? :-D And when you buy a islander set you have great bricks! green baseplates, crocodiles, canoes, new female figure, lots of plants, and I just love the shields and drums *y*

Did someone said that islanders are not accurate figures? well, I think you can't make much more accurate figure..they have bone in the hair, weeds, leis, bones in their neck and some leafs to cover the private parts :-D ..If you ask me, that's a native.. they could have been dark-skinned but I bet there would have been people who bring out the racism-thing or whatever. And what becomes with the era..there have allways been a natives and there still is! especially in the south-america.

Use your imagination guys! If that(what I wrote) is not enough reason to love islanders theme, I can tell you more reasons! :-$

I hope you get my point here, my english is not one of my best sides.. :-P

let's revive this thread!

I voted "love them" And why?

because they bring so much to pirate theme. Pirate theme is naturally all about sea-battles, right?

Now you can make island or a big shore where they live and now the land battles begin..Now you can make a big jungle where the islanders blend in and they are hard to defeat because they know the jungle so well. And the best of all is that you can choose: are they peace loving or bad folk..and now the british/french have a new enemy..If they live in the same continent with the british/french they can attack them also, I bet they don't expect that :-D and of course you can make a great temple where they sacrifice ugly frenchmen or captain redbeard himself ;-) And of course there is one thing what I always wondered..allmost every pirate set comes with a map with X-mark on but there is not really a set where you can dig the treasure!? maybe the treasure is in the natives' land? :-D And when you buy a islander set you have great bricks! green baseplates, crocodiles, canoes, new female figure, lots of plants, and I just love the shields and drums *y*

Did someone said that islanders are not accurate figures? well, I think you can't make much more accurate figure..they have bone in the hair, weeds, leis, bones in their neck and some leafs to cover the private parts :-D ..If you ask me, that's a native.. they could have been dark-skinned but I bet there would have been people who bring out the racism-thing or whatever. And what becomes with the era..there have allways been a natives and there still is! especially in the south-america.

Use your imagination guys! If that(what I wrote) is not enough reason to love islanders theme, I can tell you more reasons! :-$

I hope you get my point here, my english is not one of my best sides.. :-P

Sounds like my friend ISLAND BOY here has made a lot of people come out and express how they feel about islanders so im kinda hoping that more people will make posts about islanders.Oh and by the way that post is touching to me.I was the one who made ISALND BOY interested in islanders he didnt used to know about them but now he loves them for christmas we got him a set off of ebay that came with like 25 horns and a canoe he loved it. :-D

Whilst I am always more keen on Imperial Forces, Pirates secondly and Islanders last on my list I love the Islanders for two reasons...

1. I am able to make settings and models with some historical use... especially when you are using the Conquistador or Hispanic figures as these forming the early collonial period mean less pirates and British about.

2. It's nice that my men of the King's Navy get to shoot at someone who can't really shoot back the way the Pirates do... It's good target practice for the troops! :-P

Wow....how did I miss this one? Anyways, I picked alright. The minifigs are cool although fairly unrealistic, but my main gripe is the sets they come in, besides Enchanted island, nothing too interesting. I don't know. They just don't seem to 'cool' to me.

I don't love them but I don't think they're alright. It would be better if there was a bigger range of answers. I picked they are alright. They don't have very bad designs, and they are wild. ;-) :-D

How many range of answers do yer need Mr F? Unfortunately the population of this message board isn't big enough to support too many options.

I like them. They were a nice addition to the line. My only complaint is the lack of variation among the torsos (only two, three if you count the princess) and the excessive Kahuka masks. I also think they could be used (at least the king torsos) for barbarians in a Castle theme.

Plus they gave us alligators...

Steve

is the worst LEGO pirate sub-theme...i hate islanders...the only gpood point is Ironhook minifig(that guy was too used in islanders sub-theme) but i think indians aren't interested in gold...they couldn' have a treasure and then`pirates couldn't be interested in stealing them..

You are completly wrong. Islander i believe is one of the best-themes ever

Captain Roger is entitled to his own opinion as are you, Mr. Islandboy. Please do not make such harsh accusations, especially in a short and obstinate post. You can disagree with others, but at least do it more respectively. After you've done that you can continue to improve your postings by stating the reasoning behind your objection.

I voted I love them! I like how they diversify the pirates theme. They were one of those groups that people venturing off into the sea would run into. They may not be a super power by any means, but they are indeed very neat. I would like to see some creative MOCs incorporating the islanders.

I plan to get an enchanted island in the next few months.

Duke

but Indigo islanders hadn't a treasure with lot of gold coins...look at enchanted island

You're Right.(Echanted Island Has a secret((not very secret))compartment.)But who cares? They have nicley created sets.(4/5)

The Islander's was a good sub-theme, exactly what the Pirate's needed.With only buired treasure and a few coin's in imperial set's, while islander's have a stockhold! Also, they were made realistic, towering pillar's, crumbled ruin's.And the Figure's! Very neat.Although I don't own a single one. :-||

If it wasn't for the lawsuit( oh, the terrible lawsuit !) Islander's would have lasted.

If it wasn't for the lawsuit( oh, the terrible lawsuit !) Islander's would have lasted.

Eh? Care to describe. This certainly sounds interesting. *Sits intently and opens all ears*

Islanders is a subtheme of the Pirates theme. They are particularly infamous as the Lego Group was taken to court by several Iwi (tribes) of Maori (the Native people of New Zealand) for using bastarised Maori terms without permission, a legal case that the Lego Group lost.

That is the Lawsuit, you might think this wasn't so bad, but it was.By the looks of it it was fatal. :'-( :'-(

Islanders vs. Pirates. Duhhhhhh.... that's a hard one. Lemmm think...uhhhh.... ;-) ISLANDERS!!!!! :-D

I liked the Islanders.. nothing spectacular but a nice addition to the Pirate theme I think.

Nowadays I mostly use those faces for my "Celtic" warriors though... :-/

Maedhros,

Those Celts look great *y*

That's a lot of painted faces you've got there.

savages1.jpg

P

Maedhros,

Those Celts look great *y*

I also like them and posted some comments on CC.