Kayne

Attack on Starbowl!

This is my entry to Challenge 4 for Kaliphlin Guild. A Water Elemental has appeared in the waters just off one of the docks in the Kaliphlin city of Starbowl.

7664733286_f69520a9ec.jpg

Look who was visiting at the time...

7664744772_d4d13fcc53.jpg

The elemental from the front

7664738824_8e9fb61c1b.jpg

A good shot of the destruction on the docks as the elemental shoots forth a wave to destroy it

7664737892_0fbccb9002.jpg

Probably my favorite shot of the microscale background...down the coastline and out to sea, we can see an island fortress and a ship at sea

7664746914_d00ba224fc.jpg

7664745952_5639b19e8a.jpg

7664749768_47980f10ac.jpg

Fish's eye view

7664747860_4339584abe.jpg

Definitely a fun challenge to partake in here on GoH. Not the sort of thing that I typically do, so trying to incorporate all of the different elements was challenging. The microscale background is the first that I have ever done, so hopefull it stands up to everyone else's. I tried to keep it small(no pun intended) on purpose in the thought that it should not constitute it's own MOC. Also, I trimmed in and rounded the edges of the base to save some tuds, so I ended up using all 196 studs I saved for the Microscale area attached to the side of the MOC.

The Water Elemental itself was very fun to build, in that I did more things I have never done before. The curved jets of water coming out of his shoulders and where he emerges from the water is new for me. I also don't typically use too many trans pieces, but they worked great for this guy.

C&C Welcome!

Also, here is the link to the Flickr Set I noticed after posting that many of the pics with the palm trees, etc. didn't make this cut

Edited by Kayne

Beautiful, Kayne! Even better than the early shots. The round tower is superb, with great doors. I love the whole seaweedy rocky dockyard, with working crane. The posing of the boat and selection of minifigs and expressions is very good. The micro looks great from the intended angle too. The elemental arms are very nicely done but the face is a little hard to see clearly because of all the blue on blue, maybe more trans clear here? I really like the way you finished off the sea, very clean.

Great build for Kaliphlin!

:classic:

This is similar to what I was going to originally do (I love the idea of a water elemental tearing apart a ship), but yours is awesome! I really like the main scene itself. The crane and the light house are excellent.

I have one critique, the micro-scale just seems so detached. I was very confused by the first shot, but it made sense when you took the side angle. However, even from the side angle it seems that you needed some more rocky territory leading down to the microscale, as some of the pictures make it look like a right angle cut out of the scene. I hope I am describing that right... Anyway, I really do like it... I just think it needs a little "filler" in that area.

This is a great entry, so much to love here! The tower is very well executed, as are your palmtrees and the crane. The microscale works very well in the perspective photo and I really like your micro-ship :thumbup: . Do you have a close-up of the ship?

But it is mostly about the elemental monster, and it think it worked out well. The action with the boat and the water is great. Only thing I'm missing a little bit is some (facial)expression from the monster.

Excellent MOC! The water in the dock area is great as is the lighthouse. The water elemental destroying the dock is stunning :thumbup:

I also like the posing of the minifig getting flipped over in the rowboat. The crane is also really neat and your micro background is quite effective :classic:

Good job!

I like the lighthouse and the boat. I was originally going to say the micro seemed out of place until I saw the photo that it was supposed to go with, then it made sense and worked for me.

It looks like a few guys up top don't realize they are under attack though.

Cool crane as well. Very solid.

Only thing I wish is there was more substance to the elemental, like it had a distinct face or something. Otherwise, very good!

Thanks Z! The crane was inspired by a builder of some reknown....I believe his name is ZCerberus :wink: Yeah, Saladus and Lord Sensael may be a bit too confident in their ability to take down the elemental.

Edited by Kayne

The crane was inspired by a builder of some reknown....I believe his name is ZCerberus :wink:

never heard of him.

Yeah, Saladus and Lord Sensael may be a bit too confident in their ability to take down the elemental.

While I am glad we have some good elemental hunters among us, I fear they might not live long enough for us to wage a counter attack!

Great entry Kayne! The lighthouse and the crane are really nice, and i like the jets of water radiating out from the elemental. The microscale is nicely handled too. :thumbup:

While I am glad we have some good elemental hunters among us, I fear they might not live long enough for us to wage a counter attack!

Bah, this is obviously just a tiny elemental! Look i've even got my sword tucked in it's sheath backwards, that's how little i mind the ruckus. :wink: (Actually, i am a bit worried, but you have to keep up appearences around hard men like Saladus!)

Bah, this is obviously just a tiny elemental! Look i've even got my sword tucked in it's sheath backwards, that's how little i mind the ruckus. :wink: (Actually, i am a bit worried, but you have to keep up appearences around hard men like Saladus!)

Ha- indeed. I can understand not wanting to show fear, but to be smiling- you are a hard man to be sure! Avalonia may need to recruit you both to fight the elementals in our area. They are enourmous and mean!

In fact- I have a small contingent of troops for each guild built. I think they are pretty pimp- so they may be making a few guest appearances in MOCs soon!

oh wow, a really nice moc. I really like how you made the roof of the one building. And the tower, although following derfels basic concept, does look really great and rather unique and definetely reconizeable as Kaliphlin. I love it!

Yeah, I noticed the sword after posting the pics....oh well, even Lord Sensael is rushed at times :laugh:

Beautiful!!

I'll copy the position of your rowboat I think :classic:

Really nice crane and detailing!

Where is Starbowl situated in Kaliphlin?

Two things really strikes me on this beautiful moc! That tower with the colour scheme is just awesome and that crane is epic! Have to use that design aswell!

The little microbuild is alo brilliant! Good work on this one! A lot of good entries already!

what a great water elemental ;) this challenge is going to be so much fun ;)

A very solid entry for Kaliphlin!default_thumbup.gif So much to like about this from the crane and lighthouse to the microbuild!

Damaximus I envision it near the Western borders by the Withered Woods, somewhere along the coast there....I'll have to look at the map and solidify that soon!

deGothia, Mikel and Angeli Thanks guys! This definitely was a fun challenge to enter!

EcclesiastesI'll try to snap a closer pic of the micro boat in a day or two and post it

This is a wonderful entry! There are so many things I like about it- the palms are fantastic, the color mottling over the buildings is great, and the atmosphere is spot on. I can't think of any complaints!

The elemental rising from the sea is great, although I am quite jealous of the amount of trans blue tiles you have :grin:

Everything ties in together perfectly, you really have an eye for details!

This is fantastic! The tower is excellent, especially the top tier, the cove is great with the jetties extending out, and the microbuild works very well from the right perspective. The elemental is excellent as well, and I like how he's shooting the water across. I also like all the activity going on ashore. Great work!

Fantastic entry! I love the tower and all the details you managed to squeeze into this build. Nice selection of minifigs, a rather nice crane and a well executed elemental - i like it!

So many things I like about this build! The cliff face, the tower design, the action.

My only crit would be the Elemental gets a bit muddled when viewing from the back, but still a great design!

Good luck!

My only crit would be the Elemental gets a bit muddled when viewing from the back, but still a great design!

Good luck!

I totally know what you mean with that. While building it, I was going for the wave effects and not necessarily making it humanoid in shape. When I was finally happy with the design I went to the rest of the build. After finishing the rest, I looked at the elemental and thought there was no way I could photograph it properly. So, I bumped him up 2 more studs in height and started to try to photograph. In person, the light catches on the trans-clear cheese slopes on the wave crests beautifully, but I just couldn't get that to translate in to the photos. Plus it was still hard to get the right angle to photograph the front of the elemental with all those peksy cliffs, trees, people and structures in the build :wink:

Edited by Kayne