Sign in to follow this  
ZCerberus

The New Sienna

thindexedgif.gif 21a

Well I cannot rebuild the Sienna yet... However, I can get some Ideas down on CAD for ya'll.

This is what I envision the new ship to look like. It is different in that the type of ship hasn't really been seen on here before.

The Red Drake thread is the closest to it I am thinking.

sienna1.jpg

sienna2.jpg

sienna3.jpg

It is missing ALOT of detail, I know, but I wanted to get a structure down to see if I thought the overall design worked. I think it works pretty well. I am using the narrower hulls because I have them, and I wanted the ship to look sleek and fast.

It will eventually have a history (pirate hunter), but for now, I thought I would share a picture of the designs!

lookin good so far. it seems like a good design. i like the triangle sail design on ships (too bad frigates dont have primarily triangle sails 8-| ). the only two improvements i would suggest is to use four 3 x 3 facets on the front of the ship. Also, the main mast and mizzen mast might need to be a little closer together. nothin major, just suggestions. the coloring looks good on there too.

Oh yeah, it needs a figure head.

(hmm... ....that's enough fer now, back to pondering)

the main mast and mizzen mast might need to be a little closer together. nothin major, just suggestions. the coloring looks good on there too.

Yes, I am not solid on positioning the mizzen mast. I am also not solid on the front mast either. It may have to be tipped forward, but we will see. I can, and may also add some lines on the ship to show were the rigging would go.

In terms of a figure head, I am not sure if there will be one at all, but I will think about it. yes, I would like to use facets... but I am not sure they come in red... Bricklink says they do, I am not sure that I have any! I suppose I could use black up there, but we'll see!

Remember, it is short on details right now, but I do plan to add them. She still has a few tricks up her sleeves!

Looking good, great idea, maybe add a d ragon at the stern. *y*

Then it really would be the Red Drake! ;-)

i like the triangle sail design on ships (too bad frigates dont have primarily triangle sails 8-| ).

It is called being 'lateen-rigged' and some ships like this one actual did have the square sails, oddly called being 'square-rigged' :-D

Ok... Before I move forward, I must move backwards...

What's happening with the old Sienna?

PS. You probably should put a link to the old Sienna in your first post so newcomers can quickly and easily find the thread as they might not have viewed it yet.

Nice job. I love the color combination.

Thanks! I went red, black and dark gray because some people didn't like the blue and white combo scheme of the Arbiter with the Tan and red sails!

Also, I asked my girlfriend (who sometimes reads the forums) which color (blue or red) and she picked red.

Ok... Before I move forward, I must move backwards...

What's happening with the old Sienna?

Well the hulls on the Sienna are being taken by the Covenant. I am going to try to use the wider hulls on the larger ships.

The reason this ship is staying as the Sienna is that they are intended to have the same purpose. The weapons on the old Sienna were black and dangerous looking, and though you couldn't really tell, there was a gun cart under the bridge. The ships is meant to be a 'Pirate hunter', meaning it is going to carry some marines who will be raiding pirate ships to scuttle or reclaim them. The new ship is intended to look faster, be a little better armed, and, I hope, different from the other ships I have built. That is why I am going with the leteen-rigged sails as well as some other modifications.

EDIT:

Okay, so I switched up the brickshelf folders and now Phes's links don't work. Here are the pics that were in that post

sienna1.jpg

sienna1.jpg

ORIGINAL:

See, they are almost identical! Heh- I hope the Covenant rebuild looks as different as well. Maybe you can tell that the original Sienna and Covenant (and even Arbiter) are quite old and need some updating.

See, they are almost identical!

I think you're new design is a vast improvement because the Sienna no longer looks short and fat, rather it looks powerful and ready to take on the high seas.

It is called being 'lateen-rigged' and some ships like this one actual did have the square sails, oddly called being 'square-rigged' :-D

Kewl thanx, i didn't know what that type of rigging is called.

[(repeating in my head)lateen-rigging, lateen-rigging, lateen-rigging, lateen-rigging, lateen-rigging, lateen-rigging]

I feel compelled to do a comparison so we can better observe the differences...

img_0850.jpg

sienna1.jpg

Hmm. That's quite an improvement!

Okay, now on to some more updates, and some secret sauce ;)

I added some deck guns, a couple marines, some lanterns and some weapons.

And something else too, but I forgot what... oh yeah, the secret sauce.

siennaoars.jpg

siennaoars2.jpg

I don't know how practical this is, but Xebecs were actually often only rowed when they were first in existence. Later, they added sails and often took out the row benches to make gun decks. I have decided that it fits my ships theme to leave them in there, plus, I am not sure anyone has done this idea before, so I thought I would throw it out there.

So this is a pirate ship??

No. Pirate hunting ship. The Imperials will own another in my fleet

Lookin' good man. No offense though, but "Secret sauce" sounds like some type of dirty phrase.....

Norrington... dirty, dirty mind!

Nothing dirty meant, just that it was different and special.

Another update already?

Well a little more done. I added a long boat to the back, but it is not a minifig rowboat like I probably will use. That part is not available on MLCAD. Also, added a few more Marines.

sienna4.jpg

sienna5.jpg

sienna6.jpg

A look at the Marines manning this piece of junk...

marines.jpg

Are the marines wearing a white backpack or a white cape??

Neither!

It is hard to tell from the pics, but they have a white bracket (neck hanger) on with a clip on the back so they can carry a black musket with them as well. Nice thing about MLCAD... you can always get a new pic... I'll show one from the back so you can see what they are packing.

marines2.jpg

marines3.jpg

Neither!

It is hard to tell from the pics, but they have a white bracket (neck hanger) on with a clip on the back so they can carry a black musket with them as well. Nice thing about MLCAD... you can always get a new pic... I'll show one from the back so you can see what they are packing.

marines2.jpg

marines3.jpg

Very ingenious!!