Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #39: The Great Guffington

"Is it worth asking the prisoners if one of them knows a Guffington?"

"I suppose so... as for fighting the Cleric, does it really matter what gods he believes in? He will die by our hands one way or another." Not to mention it is pitiful to believe in false deities... and the fact that this was a dream and it didn't matter... Hybros gave Guts a hard stare.

I speak with Diplomacy.

"Excuse me, do any of you know a Master Gerald Guffington?"

"I suppose so... as for fighting the Cleric, does it really matter what gods he believes in? He will die by our hands one way or another." Not to mention it is pitiful to believe in false deities... and the fact that this was a dream and it didn't matter... Hybros gave Guts a hard stare.

"It matters, I won't hold up my blade against a true follower of Mercutio, dream or not."

"Hmpf, tell me Cleric, what God do you follow?"

"And if you fools did not realize, the ones that don't fight us meet their end soon enough. I haven't been told the details, but it involves either a hangman's rope or an axe."

The Cleric replies:

"I worship Mercutio!"

I speak with Diplomacy.

"Excuse me, do any of you know a Master Gerald Guffington?"

"No," is the resounding chorus.

"Do any of us really know anyone?" asks the Rogue sadly.

The heroes are approached by a U'Kin in armor.

DSCN0174.jpg

"Hello. You are the Champions that Emperor Hughes hired? My name is Emperor U'Ordiussum. I hate that Hughes has allowed you to fight, but I'll respect it. I cannot, however, permit him to get you killed by these criminals. When you've picked the people you'd like to combat, please come visit me, and I will outfit you to prepare you for your fight."

Edited by Zepher

"I do not care. This is only a dream, and this current excursion is only distracting us from our main objective. Let us fight the Rogue, Ranger, and Knight."

"I do not care. This is only a dream, and this current excursion is only distracting us from our main objective. Let us fight the Rogue, Ranger, and Knight."

"You are wrong. This is Guffington's dream. We would not see this, if it was not important. To him, at least. We play along with the dream, we find Guffington. That's how it works."

Guts puts his hand on his blade and walks in the direction the U'kin went.

"But if you die in a dream, you wake up. We should have killed him when we had the chance. Now we could be stuck in this dream forever, following Gruffington to the ends of the earth, or any place his mind takes us." Hybros massaged his forehead as he followed Guts to the U'Kin.

"But if you die in a dream, you wake up. We should have killed him when we had the chance. Now we could be stuck in this dream forever, following Gruffington to the ends of the earth, or any place his mind takes us." Hybros massaged his forehead as he followed Guts to the U'Kin.

"That's a fairly terrible idea. Remember this sleep is not natural. Also, remember we are in HIS dream. If we kill him here, I don't for sure if he will wake up, or if he won't wake up at all. And more importantly, I have my doubts we will be out unscarred if we kill him."

Doubtful, Hybros squints his eyes and continues to follow Guts silently.

Party Leader, just for future reference, please bold all important choices (moving to the next area, who you'd like to fight). Even if it's just for conventions sake, it helps me make sure I'm not rushing you along!

The heroes trudge away from the cages and approach U'Ordiussum.

Guffington4.jpg

DSCN0174.jpg

"Hello, champions. I have an offer for you. Emperor Hughes is not a bad man, but he wishes for excitement. This fight will be a closer match than he is allowing you to believe. I have recently received a shipment of Golden Armor. I would like to gift it to you, for this upcoming fight."

"Pst," says a voice, and U'Ordiussum freezes. The heroes look around, and further down the arena's wall, see a man standing. He beckons to the heroes.

Guffington5.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

"Hello. My name is Gerald! I live in Eubric Freeport. It's a truly lovely city, but I want to get out and see the whole world, you know? While I'm young and still can. Haha. I hail from a small island, and now I've been to almost all known continents. I've even been greeted as a distinguished guest some places! Ha! Imagine that, me, a distinguished guest! Too wonderful."

"Anyway, I don't know if you should take the armor. Sounds pretty risky to me. I've been pretty successful... don't want to toot my own horn... but you know, I have done pretty well, and I've always played it safe."

The fog billows forward and the heroes are blinded by the whiteness for a short while. When it recedes, a new man stands in the past one's place.

Guffington6.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

"Like I was saying, you must take the armor. The world is so very small, I fear I've already seen all of it. It's my third time here, and the city no longer surprises me. And Eubric. Ha! I used to think that there were so many things left to be discovered there. Now I know every stone of every walk-way and every building. Some people would call that 'being at home' in the city, but I call it the city being a bore. If the Emperor is giving you a chance to see something new, I say go for it! Always go with your gut, that's what I always say. Hasn't failed me yet."

Guffington7.jpg

DSCN0109.jpg

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm afraid I'm late. So much to see. Hopefully."

The mist billows forward again, and when it recedes once more, Guffington is gone.

DSCN0174.jpg

"How about that armor, then? Will any of you take it? All of you?"

Would any of the heroes like to accept the armor?

"What exactly does the Golden Armor do?" I speak with Diplomacy. "Can you show me its stats?"

OoC: Well I might know since I designed the item. :tongue:

"A puzzle of time..." Hybros mused. Forgetting his disagreement with Guts for the moment, he said "It appears that as Gruffington gets older, he gets less cautious. If this has any resemblance to the real world, his recklessness is the reason why we're all here. Still, it can not hurt to try the armor, for just one of us. I suggest both of you decline the offer, in case there is some unfortunate side-effect, eheh. I will take the armor."

OoC: Well I might know since I designed the item. :tongue:

Oops. I guess I should have checked things out more carefully... this is a new and unique item, sorry if it shares a name with something else. :tongue:

I nod, agreeing with Hybros, while noting the number of times he's risked something for the party I was part of. Interesting behavior for a former Rogue. Crawling into that tunnel in the arena, giving up Health to help us solve that MegaBlokin' anagram...

The heroes walk back to the center of the Arena. Hybros feels the Golden Armor weighing on him heavily. It is clear that he will not be able to take it off during this battle.

Emperor Hughes has assembled the three enemies that the heroes have chosen to fight, and yet they all find it hard to pull a real image of them to mind. They all just seem to be... general shapes.

DSCN0172.jpg

"Let the games... begin!" cries Emperor Hughes.

The Enemies

Rogue

Level 17

Health: 657/657

Special: Mug – Deals 27 damage to the hero and takes gold from them equal to their level times 2.

Drops: Glass Dagger

Note:
If the Rogue rolls a damage or special damage against another rogue, that rogue will lose 20 gold.

Ranger

Level 27

Health: 930/930

Special: Triple Shot – Hits all the heroes for 27 damage, regardless of row.

Drops: Quiver of Poisoning

Note:
If the Ranger rolls a damage or special damage against another ranger, that ranger will be poisoned.

Knight

Level 19

Health: 520/520

SP: 4

Special: Sentinel – Protects all allies from damage the following round.

Drops: Frozen Sabre

Note:
If the Knight rolls a damage or special damage against another knight, that knight will be stunned the following round.

The Party

6800805643_71f494fd9d_m.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 18 1/2 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 32(26)

Health: 31/31

Gold: 475

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 8 Light, Retrievable),
Beholder's Eye, Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 6x Mead, 6x Nostrum, 6x Smelling Salts,
, 2x Grand Potion, Elixir,
9x Grand Potion Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy
, 1x Phoenix Essence,
2x Phoenix Essence

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 18 1/2 Assassin
*Hastened*
*Cursed*

Power: 31 (32 for Clock Cog, 27 for Bladerang, 26 for all other throwing weapons, except 23 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 24/30

Gold: 666

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth), Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable),
Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable)
, Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable),
Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1)
Golden Armor
(Artifact, Bodywear, User is permanently
hastened
and
cursed
), 4 Grand Potions, 1 Smelling Salts,
6 Grand Potions 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, Mead, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 22 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 33

Health: 41/41

Defense: 15

Gold: 331 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental),
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5)
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect)
, Bedroll,
Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb
, Soma, Smelling Salts, Grand Tonic,
Potions (5)

"Well, damn."

Guts twirls his blade around a few times, before charging at the Knight with Lifestealer.

Battle order:

Docken

Guts

Hybros (x2)

"This will help us in the long run... do you think you can take a free hit from the Rogue, Docken?" Hybros spends one turn to retrieve a Nostrum, and the other to drink a Grand Potion.

Round 1 Arena Battle

Docken v. Ranger - Aim (11)

Guts v. Knight - Damage (19)

Hybros - Retrieves a Nostrum (5)

Hybros - Uses a Grand Potion (+10)

Free Hits

Rogue v. Docken ([17/2]-15=1)

The battle begins. Docken fires a weak shot, and the Knight slams into Guts (from the front row... I assumed?). Hybros focuses on a Nostrum, which appears suddenly in his hands, and then drains one of his grand potions, restoring him to his now full health... though his curse weakens him considerably.

The Enemies

Rogue

Level 17

Health: 657/657

Special: Mug – Deals 27 damage to the hero and takes gold from them equal to their level times 2.

Drops: Glass Dagger

Note:
If the Rogue rolls a damage or special damage against another rogue, that rogue will lose 20 gold.

Ranger

Level 27

Health: 919/930

Special: Triple Shot – Hits all the heroes for 27 damage, regardless of row.

Drops: Quiver of Poisoning

Note:
If the Ranger rolls a damage or special damage against another ranger, that ranger will be poisoned.

Knight

Level 19

Health: 520/520

SP: 4

Special: Sentinel – Protects all allies from damage the following round.

Drops: Frozen Sabre

Note:
If the Knight rolls a damage or special damage against another knight, that knight will be stunned the following round.

The Party

6800805643_71f494fd9d_m.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 18 1/2 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 32(26)

Health: 12/31

Gold: 475

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 8 Light, Retrievable),
Beholder's Eye, Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 6x Mead, 6x Nostrum, 6x Smelling Salts,
, 2x Grand Potion, Elixir,
9x Grand Potion Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy
, 1x Phoenix Essence,
2x Phoenix Essence

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 18 1/2 Assassin
*Hastened*
*Cursed*

Power: 31 (32 for Clock Cog, 27 for Bladerang, 26 for all other throwing weapons, except 23 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 27/27 (30-3)

Gold: 666

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth), Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable),
Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable)
, Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable),
Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1)
Golden Armor
(Artifact, Bodywear, User is permanently
hastened
and
cursed
), 3 Grand Potions, 1 Smelling Salts, Nostrum
6 Grand Potions 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, Mead, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 22 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 33

Health: 40/41

Defense: 15

Gold: 331 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental),
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5)
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect)
, Bedroll,
Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb
, Soma, Smelling Salts, Grand Tonic,
Potions (5)

Edited by Zepher

OOC: Oops, I got Jinxed and Cursed mixed up again... oh well. And no wonder he is cursed, with that amount of gold...

Hybros twitched as the armor took its toll on his... body? It would be best to finish this battle quickly. He drank the nostrum , then attacked the Rogue from the front row with Zoot's Reaper.