Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #39: The Great Guffington

"We haven't figured out what the Light Grey Cog does, right? Shouldn't we do that?"

"If you mean the dark grey cog, eheh... I think we should focus on destroying it this round. Then we can take care of the green one, so that the clock's effects will always be positive until the end of the battle."

Hybros attacks the Dark Grey Cog with Zoot's Reaper.

"Oh, wait, I see - we didn't find out what it did because you assassinated it when you didn't target it."

I attack the Dark Grey Clock Cog from the Back Row with my Briar Bow.

Guts should have 25 health.

"Alright... Let's see how this goes..."

Guts attacks the Dark Grey Cog as well.

Battle order:

Docken

Hybros

Guts

Battle of the Clock Round Twelve

Docken v. Dark Gray Cog - Critical Hit ([11x2]+21=43)

Hybros v. Dark Gray Cog - Special Damage

Guts v. Dark Gray Cog - Special Damage

Free Hits

Green Cog v. Docken - Scared

The battle continues. Docken fires a shot at the Dark Gray Cog, causes it to falter heavily. It slams into the clock and spins. The other two heroes cannot get at it, and the clock's hands advance once around fully. The cog shudders and dies, dropping from the gouge it's made in the clock face and landing heavily, horizontally, in the ground.

THE TIME IS 1 O'CLOCK

The Enemies

DSCN0125.jpg

Green Clock Cog

Level 2 Mechanical

Health: 1483/3000

Special: Alarm! – Scares the hero, forcing them into the back row for the next 3 rounds or until the effect is remedied.

Drops: Grand Tonic

The Party

6800805643_71f494fd9d_m.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 18 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 32(26)

Health: 25/31

Gold: 425

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 8 Light, Retrievable),
Beholder's Eye, Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 6x Mead, 6x Nostrum, 6x Smelling Salts,
, 1x Grand Potion, Elixir,
9x Grand Potion Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy
, 1x Phoenix Essence,
2x Phoenix Essence

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 18 Assassin

Power: 31 (27 for Bladerang, 26 for all other throwing weapons, except 23 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 24/30

Gold: 616

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth),
Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable)
, Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable),
Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1)
, 4 Grand Potions, 1 Smelling Salts,
6 Grand Potions 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, Mead, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 21.67 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 32

Health: 40/40

Defense: 15

Gold: 281 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental),
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5)
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect)
, Bedroll,
Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb
, Soma, Smelling Salts,
Potions (5)

OoC: Since nothing has changed, I'm running this next round right now.

Battle of the Clock Round Thirteen

Docken v. Green Cog - Aim (11)

Hybros v. Green Cog - Hit (31) (Assassination)

Guts v. Green Cog - Hit (32) (+3 health)

The battle continues. Docken's arrow splinters when it hits the sppinning cog, but Hybros lunges at it and stabs it with such force that his scythe passes through the center. The cog stops it's twisting immediately, and the clock rings out solemnly 11 times. The battle is over. The heroes are victorious!

THE TIME IS 11 O'CLOCK

The Party

6800805643_71f494fd9d_m.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 18 1/2 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 32(26)

Health: 31/31

Gold: 425

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 8 Light, Retrievable),
Beholder's Eye, Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 6x Mead, 6x Nostrum, 6x Smelling Salts,
, 1x Grand Potion, Elixir,
9x Grand Potion Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy
, 1x Phoenix Essence,
2x Phoenix Essence

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 18 1/2 Assassin
*Scared*
(1 more rounds)

Power: 31 (27 for Bladerang, 26 for all other throwing weapons, except 23 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 24/30

Gold: 616

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth),
Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable)
, Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable),
Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1)
, 4 Grand Potions, 1 Smelling Salts,
6 Grand Potions 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, Mead, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 22 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 33

Health: 41/41

Defense: 15

Gold: 281 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental),
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5)
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
White Marksman's Hat (⅙ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect)
, Bedroll,
Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb
, Soma, Smelling Salts,
Potions (5)

The Spoils:

DSCN0126.jpg

-
Throwing Cog
(WP: 14, retrievable, suitable for Rangers and Rogues)

heroica-grandpotion.jpg

-
Grand Potion

heroica-grandtonic.jpg

-
Grand Tonic

heroica-gold.jpg

-
150 Gold

Edited by Zepher

"Good, good... Let's see. Hybros, take the cog, if you will. I'll take the potion, and Docken, while you can't use it, hang onto the Tonic."

Guts also divides the gold equally between the heroes, and looks around where to go next.

I should have full health due to natural respite :).

"Good, good... Let's see. Hybros, take the cog, if you will. I'll take the potion, and Docken, while you can't use it, hang onto the Tonic."

Guts also divides the gold equally between the heroes, and looks around where to go next.

I should have full health due to natural respite :).

OoC: I thought I had finally made a perfect battle post. Curses. :thumbup: Advanced classes. Bah. Now that I know what it's like after Q41, all my quests from now on are for level 1s. :laugh:

I'll have the next step up in an hour or two. sorry, need to edit pictures, that assassination cut down the time I thought I had to prepare!

Edited by Zepher

The heroes are whisked away from the clock suddenly. Their feet feel like they are caught in a terrible riptide, and though all the heroes struggle, they are yanked backwards and lose their footing. Face down they are dragged through the mist. The ground has disappeared. They feel as if they are flying through a cloud, feet first.

The heroes hear voices whispering to them:

“So much for friends,” a voice says. “They sold you out as soon as I offered the choice to them.”

"You think of yourself as a hero opposing violence, yet there is blood on your own blade. If the freedom of my kind could be achieved without bloodshed, it would've already happened. Gods know I have tried... Take care now, champion. And remember: a day will come when you have to choose."

"This is what I offer, do not fear my friends the trumpet of progress!"

The heroes land standing, and feel a little jarred. Below their feet is sand. The mist clears a little and they find themselves in an Arena.

Guffington3.jpg

DSCN0172.jpg

"Hello. Are you the Champions we were waiting for? Fantastic! My name is Emperor Hughes, how are you?"

"I'm glad you've arrived, and just in the nick of time too. If you hadn't arrived, U'Or would have executed all of them. The prisoners, that is, of course. Not the people. Emperor U'Or would never do that. No one would."

"Anyway, we struck a deal. I got to have three of the prisoners fight three champions, and he'd execute three. I thought it was fair to let them try to fight for their freedom. Each man should have the right to what he merits, and if they earn their lives in combat, they certainly deserves them. That's my way of thinking, at least."

"You may pick which three you fight." Emperor Hughes gestures down the wall. The heroes see six small windows, looking in on cells. All the cells are too foggy to see into, but voices can be heard in some of them muttering. "There is a Rogue, a Knight, a Mage, a Ranger, a Barbarian, and a Cleric. Talk to them if you like, and then pick three to fight."

Wren? Her voice echoed through his mind as he fell. It had been many months since that incident, and he had overcome the evil witch before. Yet he couldn't shake the feeling that the events that took place in the arena - not unlike the one he was in now - still affected him somehow through his subconscious.

He stared at the cell windows, dazed.

"So if we win, we kill them? And what happens if we lose?" Hybros tried to remember that this was only a dream, and no one would actually die...

I glance at Hybros out of the corner of my eye; doubtless he is thinking the same thing I am. Another arena.

Noting the sand, the presence of U'Kin, and the mention of multiple emperors, I wonder if we are in Dastan. I also realize that the emperor we are speaking to has the same name as Lord Hughes, and the name of the other emperor he mentioned begins with the same letters as that of U'Ordiussum, but I figure that it is best to play along for the moment, until I know more, so I say nothing.

Guts, slightly dazed still, shakes his head and looks up, for a moment he swore he heard the voice of the Orcish freedom fighter he met in Eubric's park...

Turning to the strange man, he said:

"We are your champions. We haven't been told much, is the fight in the arena to the death? Or do we just have to draw first blood or incapacitate them? or is this one of those were the crowd gets to decide? And for the record, I assume we collect our wages after the fight?"

"So if we win, we kill them? And what happens if we lose?"

DSCN0172.jpg

"Well I'd imagine that they'd kill you!"

"We are your champions. We haven't been told much, is the fight in the arena to the death? Or do we just have to draw first blood or incapacitate them? Or is this one of those were the crowd gets to decide? And for the record, I assume we collect our wages after the fight?"

DSCN0172.jpg

"Fight to the death. You take them out, or they take you out."

Alright then. Fighting figments it is. Hybros goes over to the window with the Mage in it, and asks, "Hello, are you aware of your situation?"

The Mage replies.

"Are you aware of your situation?"

"Well, I am here to kill you. Are you prepared to fight for your life?"

"Well, I am here to kill you. Are you prepared to fight for your life?"

The heroes see that they may address as many of the prisoners at a time as they'd like. (Just to speed things along a little).

This is a dream.

"That was very unhelpful. I will have no problem taking your life heheheheh."

Hybros goes over to the Rogue's cell. "What about you, do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into?"

Guts speaks loudly, so all Prisoners should be able to hear him.

"Listen up, which of you wish to fight us, and which of you prefer a clean, well, cleaner death."

Hybros goes over to the Rogue's cell. "What about you, do you have any idea what you've gotten yourself into?"

The Rogue says:

"Oh no, oh no, oh no."

"Listen up, which of you wish to fight us, and which of you prefer a clean, well, cleaner death."

The Mage says:

"Which of you wish to fight us, and which of you prefer a clean, well, cleaner death?"

The Knight says:

"Don't fight me! I'm the weakest! That's unfair! Don't fight me! I'm the weakest!"

The Rogue says:

"Oh no, oh no, oh help me! I'm scared of the Ranger."

The Barbarian says:

"I fear no one, not even the mage, who has seen just as many battles as I!"

The Ranger says:

"Give me forty gold and I'll throw the fight. Pick me and the Barbarian and the Mage, you'd make quick work of them with me sitting out."

The Cleric says:

"The Knight is the strongest. I'd be most afraid to fight him."

"Hmpf, tell me Cleric, what God do you follow?"

"And if you fools did not realize, the ones that don't fight us meet their end soon enough. I haven't been told the details, but it involves either a hangman's rope or an axe."

Hybros talks to the Ranger. "You do realize that if the Mage and Barbarian are defeated, you will be executed?"

Hybros talks to the Ranger. "You do realize that if the Mage and Barbarian are defeated, you will be executed?"

"Don't be naive. He knows that, and wants to lure is into a fall sense of security, no doubt."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Hybros winced at Guts' barbaric methods of talking to the prisoners. "Being tricked by a figment of a dream, eheh. Why are we even wasting our time? These people don't exist to begin with, so we should have no hesitation in 'killing' them. Obviously some of them are lying, and who we pick to fight will determine the difficulty of the battle. I suggest we fight the Rogue, the Ranger, and either the Knight or Cleric. No need for tricks from the Mage or Barabarian heheh."

I speak to my fellow heroes.

"I would think that the Rogue would be most likely to be lying, given the character of most Rogues. No offense. Based on the character of most of his class, I'd say that the Cleric is most likely to be telling the truth. I say we fight the Ranger and the Cleric. As for a third enemy, the Mage keeps speaking in riddles; I think he's trying to hide something."

"The Ranger is either a liar or a coward, I don't want to grant him the pleasure of fighting us, he can hang, the Barbarian and the Mage can hang for all I care too. I'd like to hear what God the Cleric follows, killing a follower of Mercutio means bad luck. And since this is not real, this means Guffington either participated or is in the crowd here or something. Is it worth asking the prisoners if one of them knows a Guffington?"