Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #39: The Great Guffington

Guts sighs. And answers to the little man.

"I don't know about all that, I'm hardly qualified to be discussing philosophical matters like this. What I do know is that Guffington is both influential and rich. If he is here because he feels his life is meaningless or wants to live without mistakes, he is being selfish. There is so much he can do in the real world, in Eubric to make it a better place. Perhaps that is what we have to make clear to him."

Edited by Scubacarrot

"Selfish..." Yes, perhaps he had been selfish. But his primary goal had never been helping others, only his own people. "So that is our plan then... I'm sure Docken's diplomacy will help... now where has he gone? Hehe..." Seeming to have forgotten, or put aside, about his troubles for the moment, Hybros looks around Gruffington.

My inventory is not fully correct, the mead and smelling salts should be gone, as well should one of the meads it still says I have not got here.

Fixed. Sorry.

The Party

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 20 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 34(28)

Health: 33/33

Gold: 2513

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 9 Light, Retrievable), Glass Dagger (WP: 6, Hollow),
Dancing Shoes
(The wearer is capable of dancing well. (Artifact, Footwear: On turns after a miss is rolled, the hero may act twice) Beholder's Eye, Telescope,
Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 5x Mead, 4x Nostrum, 5x Smelling Salts,
, Nostrum, Elixir, Grand Potion,
8x Grand Potion, Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy
, 1x Phoenix Essence,
2x Phoenix Essence

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 20 Assassin

Power: 33 (34 for Clock Cog, 29 for Bladerang, 28 for all other throwing weapons, except 25 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 22/32

Gold: 1014

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth), Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable),
Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable)
, Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable),
Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1)
, Golden Armor (Artifact, Bodywear, User is permanently
hastened
and
cursed
), Nostrum, Grand Potion, Mead, Deadly Venom
6 Grand Potions 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 5 Nostrums, Mead, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 23 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 34

Health: 36/42

Defense: 15

Gold: 501 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental),
Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5)
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15), Frozen Saber (WP: 9, causes stunned effect to opponents),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
Quiver of Poisoning
(permanent poisoned effect to all attacks, backwear),
White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect)
, Bedroll,
Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb
, Soma, Grand Tonic, Potion (4), Deadly Venom
Potions (1)

The fog engulfs the heroes, but instead of emerging at a new location, they tumble through the lightness. Suddenly, they come face to face with an old Guffington.

Guffington13.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

"Hello, heroes. Have you come to retrieve me?"

I speak with Diplomacy.

"Master Guffington, I don't know what your goal was here, and I don't know what you've done differently from what you did in the real world, but, as you seem to realize, it's all a dream, brought upon you by a mysterious dust contained in a box that Lord Hughes sent you. When we first met you here, you wanted to be someone great, and you set out to see the world. You did that, and, as our purses and Master Holla's weapons prove, you made good investments. But when we last met you, you were in a panic.

"I don't know what went wrong or why you panicked, but realize this: you don't need to be great in a dream, for you are already great in the real world. Indeed, as we first traveled to your manor when our quest began, everyone we met knew who you were - the Great Guffington."

Guts stands slightly behind the ranger, his arms folded. He nods when Docken speaks. The ranger might be a uncomplicated man without too many words, the words he did speak were true and spoke of a certain wisdom seldom found in men of battle. Guts only added this:

"A dreamworld does not need you, and you don't need a dreamworld, but the real world could use you."

DSCN0112.jpg

"I appreciate you coming to retrieve me, heroes. I'm sure U'Or hired you, and I'm sure Daneeka put you in some sort of contraption to send you here. They think I'm in a coma that was brought on by treachery, but that's not the case. Sir Hughes is a dear old friend of mine. He did not send me that dust with the intent to trap me, he sent it with the intent to free me."

"I may be great in the real world, I may not. That is kind of you to say, but the truth of it doesn't matter. I never set out to be great, or rich, or influential, or even noticed. My goal was simple - I set out to see things that I had never seen before. But as age wore on, I noticed the similarities in everything. I started to see so much I saw patterns. I knew how people would behave, and how events would turn out. That's how I knew you were heroes from Heroica. I knew U'Or would hire you to come get me. But the physical world holds little appeal for me."

"Here in my alternate reality, I may see things that I've never seen before. The Hourlings, the People, even new images of my old friends."

"You have come a long way, however, so I'll offer you a deal. If you can show me something truly spectacular and strange and unexpected, I will come back to reality with you. As you are the only things from reality here other than myself, it must be an act that you perform. Show me that there are still things to marvel at out in the real world, and I'll return with you."

OoC: There is a set answer to this final challenge using information and tools from the quest, but I also encourage you to think outside the box!

Speaking to Gruffington, "But the result has been the same in the dream world, correct? You have grown old and bitter here as well. The real world needs you. Come back."

Turning to Guts and Docken, "We have encountered many enemies on this quest. Dealing with time, freedom, the mind, and people. Perhaps we should show him how these things are in the real world. Guts, I suggest you use your telescope to look for anything in the fog, eheh."

"Well, I'd never thought I'd do this, and I bloody well hope the fact that this happened does not leave this... whatever this is, but here we go. If this is not a marvel, what else is?"

Guts performs a dance, using his new dancing shoes.

OoC: I would have also accepted anyone kissing anyone else. :laugh:

Guffington looks sternly as Guts begins to dance, the shoes guiding his movement. Slowly his face cracks into a smile, and soon he is laughing.

DSCN0112.jpg

"Very well, heroes. Let's go home."

The heroes feel a yank and a tug. Their head jerk upwards and their stomach fall out from under them and the fog gives way to darkness that suddenly becomes a blurry image of a room. They all sit up and fumble towards the front of the room. There they are greeted by three familiar faces.

DSCN0098-1.jpg

"Thank you for convincing Guffington to come back to us," intones U'Ordiussum. "We were very lost without him we were very lost."

"You have done the world a great good," Daneeka tells the heroes. "Many people will be thankful. Also note, you have been gone for nearly a month. We fed you and watered you. I do not know how time passed in the alternate reality. I assume it did not pass the same way."

Guffington simply nods to the heroes. "You were promised 250 gold each for saving me, and that will be granted to you. Likewise, you have shown me something worth it in the world, so I will share something worth it with you." Guffington hands all three heroes a Mythril Shard. "I hope you will visit me at the Manor some time, heroes. You'd be more than welcome."

The Party

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla
, Level 20 Raider
*Party Leader*

Power: 34(28)

Health: 33/33

Gold: 2763

Inventory:
Lifestealer
(WP:14, Ice, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP: 9 Light, Retrievable), Glass Dagger (WP: 6, Hollow),
Dancing Shoes
(The wearer is capable of dancing well. (Artifact, Footwear: On turns after a miss is rolled, the hero may act twice) Beholder's Eye, Telescope, Bedroll, Shovel, Mythril Shard, 5x Mead, 5x Nostrum, 5x Smelling Salts, Elixir, 9x Grand Potion, Grand Tonic, 5x Remedy, 3x Phoenix Essence, Mythril Shard

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros
, Level 20 Assassin

Power: 33 (34 for Clock Cog, 29 for Bladerang, 28 for all other throwing weapons, except 25 for Shuriken of Mercutio)

Health: 32/32

Gold: 1264

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper
(WP:13, Earth), Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), 2 Throwing Knives (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable),
Helmet
(Max HP +1),
Cat Statuette
(Max HP +1), Golden Armor (Artifact, Bodywear, User is permanently
hastened
and
cursed
), Deadly Venom, 7 Grand Potions, 10 Potions, 5 Remedies, 2 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 6 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Deadly Venom, Bone, Bedroll, Skeleton Decoy, Shovel, Emerald, Mythril Shard

ava-bartholomew_warden.png

Bartholomew Docken
, Level 23 Warden
*Scary*

Power: 34

Health: 36/42

Defense: 15

Gold: 751 (50 Gold loaned to Arthur Justus Regulus VII [Flipz])

Inventory:
Briar Bow
(WP: 11; Wood Elemental), Mockthril Longbow (WP: 5),
Mythril Shield
(SP: 15), Frozen Saber (WP: 9, causes stunned effect to opponents),
Dread Hat
(enemies lower than half of wearer's Level won't attack directly),
Quiver of Poisoning
(permanent poisoned effect to all attacks, backwear), White Marksman's Hat (â…™ chance of Assassination vs. Flying monsters),
Lover's Locket
(immune to the Enamored effect), Bedroll, Mead, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Soma, Grand Tonic, Potion (5), Deadly Venom, Mythril Shard

The heroes walk out into the sunlight of Eubric. As they left, they were shocked to realize that all of the things they had acquired in the alternate reality had remained with them. Perhaps they too had things left to wonder at.

THE QUEST WAS A SUCCESS!

Edited by Zepher

Ah...Mythril. I grasp the shimmering shard. Not as impressive as the piece that resides in my shield, but nevertheless, a beautiful material. I stow it in my bottomless Bag of Holding and turn back to the three in front of me.

"Thank you, Master Guffington, Doctor Daneeka, Master U'Ordiussum."

As I leave the manor, I speak to Hybros and Guts.

"It was a pleasure questing with heroes as skilled and as powerful as you, Master Holla, Master Hybros."

"Thank you, Guffington. You made the right decision. I... Will come visit you. I have visited countless lands in my time, I bet I have seen things even you have not. I hope you likewise do not forget Heroica."

Guts turns around, and walks out of the manor, straight to Heroica hall without looking back once. He had a lot to think about, that was for sure.

Hybros held the shard in his hand, turning it over so the light of the day reflected off of it. He wondered if he was still dreaming to be holding such a rare item, but nonetheless turned to his companions. "Docken, Guts. It has been a pleasure." Without saying more, Hybros returned to the hall.