SheepEater

The Hobbit movies discussion

Wait, is the 48 fps for 3D only?

It seems to be in my local cinema. I can choose from seeing it in regular format, 3D 48 fps format, or 3D Imax format (fps unspecified). Since I can't stand having my eardrums blown out in Imax theatres (seriously, if I had a pacemaker I think it'd stop), that leaves the other 2 for me. :wink:

I know nothing about the technical aspects, but I've heard a lot of mixed reviews with the 48 fps. I'd almost want to see it because it is different (like watching TDKR in true IMAX, not digital). But then again I'd probably not want to spoil the viewing if it was distracting. Go see it twice, once in each format haha.

I'll probably just see it in regular 2D. I'm not a firm believer in the additional charge for 3D. I have really good stereopsis, so that doesn't bother me, but I don't think it really adds much. Is this filmed in 3D or converted afterwards? If it was filmed in 3D it might be worth seeing that way.

Is it sad that I've marked the UK release date in my calendar? I've been waiting for this film for a good twenty years, and I can't wait any longer! :drool:

I'm setting myself a little task for the coming few years. Once I've been to see Part 1 in the cinema, I shall find and re-read my copy of The Hobbit up to the chapter 'Riddles for the Ring', so I can compare the two experiances. Then all I have to do is wait for Part 2 until I can read up to the next cut-off point, and so on.

Other than the trailer, here is something that is keeping me excited:

http://kotaku.com/5966124/the-real-hobbits-meet-their-lego-counterparts/gallery/1

Part 1 doesn't end at Riddles for the Ring though, it ends at Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire.

Part 1 doesn't end at Riddles for the Ring though, it ends at Out of the Frying Pan Into the Fire.

Quiet you! :tongue:

Is it sad that I've marked the UK release date in my calendar? I've been waiting for this film for a good twenty years, and I can't wait any longer! :drool:

I'm setting myself a little task for the coming few years. Once I've been to see Part 1 in the cinema, I shall find and re-read my copy of The Hobbit up to the chapter 'Riddles for the Ring', so I can compare the two experiances. Then all I have to do is wait for Part 2 until I can read up to the next cut-off point, and so on.

Other than the trailer, here is something that is keeping me excited:

http://kotaku.com/59...parts/gallery/1

That is awesome! Thanks!

A few actors are missing, though... Balin, Kili, Bofur and Bombur! (Which oddly, , 3/4 of these were the first minifigs to be revealed in the Bag End set)

Edited by SheepEater

It seems to be in my local cinema. I can choose from seeing it in regular format, 3D 48 fps format, or 3D Imax format (fps unspecified). Since I can't stand having my eardrums blown out in Imax theatres (seriously, if I had a pacemaker I think it'd stop), that leaves the other 2 for me. :wink:

How much does it cost to see it in 3D HFR?

How much does it cost to see it in 3D HFR?

The same as a normal 3D movie. I haven't heard of any theaters that have an additional surcharge for the HFR.

Edited by The_Chosen_1

I have read that here in Munich, Germany, they will charge 2 Euros extra for the Hobbit

12 Euros is the "normal" price for a 3D "enhanced" Movie and they will add 2 Euros. 50 cents because its 48p and the rest because is freaking long and supposedly of better quality than the rest they usually show (no kidding - read this on heise.de for the german speakers among us).

I think I'll pass. I call this greed

Just came from the theatre. I really recommend the 48 fps version. The CGI really is at its highlight on a higher frame ratio.

I'm really glad they did show us the whole Riddles in the Dark chapter. Makes me want to get that LEGO-set as well.

One fun fact: The voice of the Goblin King = The shark from Finding Nemo

The downside of 48 fps is that it isn't available everywhere. I would be interested in seeing it in that format, but the closest theater here is over an hour away and I don't know if I want to drive an hour to see it that way, watch it for 3 hours, then drive another hour back. That will make for a long day. Granted I did drive to the true IMAX theater they had to see Dark Knight Rises..decisions, decisions.

Anyone know if any of the theaters are giving out or selling any promo material for The Hobbit? I remember this past summer's Avengers had promo 3-D glasses for Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, and Thor.

Went to go see the Hobbit earlier and I loved it. A great film and an amazing cast, enjoyed every minuite. I was a bit confused with the Lego sets around the film however. I won't spiol anything but it was clear that Lego had selected sets before it became 3 films. So because of this we have some sets from the next film out now.

Well, I'm running on three hours of sleep after a early class this morning and the midnight premiere. I must say that I quite enjoyed the film, I actually can't find anything not to like about it! :grin:

Just bought my ticket online. Seeing it this evening, in 3D. $15 is kind of a ripoff, but I hardly go to see movies in theaters anymore, so...

EDIT:

Excellent Cineplex Odeon interview with the actor playing this guy

lor040.jpg

http://www.cineplex.com/News/Interview-The-Hobbit-s-Richard-Armitage.aspx?cmpid=homepage_showcase

Edited by SheepEater

I loved the movie. The fight scenes were good and the background was done perfectly. The characters were captured really well and the backdrops were stunning. This is one of my 2 favourite movies of the year.

Just came in from watching it.

Bum-numbingly overlong with a lot of stuff that didn't need to be included.

Maybe I'll feel different about it if I get to watch it in the comfort of my own home at a later date, but at the moment this gets a meh out of ten.

Seriously Peter, we let you go nuts on Kong hoping that would get making marathon movies out of your system.

Just go easy on the second and third installments, k?

Edited by into the blue

Just came in from watching it.

Bum-numbingly overlong with a lot of stuff that didn't need to be included.

Maybe I'll feel different about it if I get to watch it in the comfort of my own home at a later date, but at the moment this gets a meh out of ten.

Seriously Peter, we let you go nuts on Kong hoping that would get making marathon movies out of your system.

Just go easy on the second and third installments, k?

I kind of agree. I do notice though (and maybe I'm getting old), but in general I tend to enjoy movies more when I watch them at home. I was a bit overwhelmed with everything - I think it could've been great as a single 3 -hour film instead of only the first of 3 installments. There's a reason most movies don't attempt to adapt books page-by-page. The switch from 2 films to 3 set off all the alarm bells in my head, and I admit to going in a bit apprehensive. Perhaps the 48fps had something to do with my overall impression as well? I can't say I'm a big fan at this point, though I did get somewhat used to it after 30 minutes. :sceptic:

The 'Riddles in the Dark' scene - though a bit long itself - was definitely the highlight for me, though. I don't consider myself a huge Gollum fan necessarily, but Andy Serkis nailed it here. So awesome.

Edited by Crownie

Just came back from watching it! (in regular 24fps, so I can't comment on that.).

I loved it, I felt the only low point was the inclusion of Saruman. They really made him into a bumbling idiot, which is a shame considering how intimidating he was in FotR.

I haven't seen it yet, still need to find a babysitter for the little one. Although she did watch LOTR with me..

But I will probably see it in regular format, so I won't be able to comment on the 48 fps. However, I love Gollum. He is one of my favorite characters, so I would imagine I will like that Riddles scene very much then. I am more than okay with these 3 hour movies involving Middle Earth. I don't feel like LOTR was long at all. I have only watched the Extended editions and I never get bored during them. I would imagine I will feel the same with this movie.