soccerkid6

Elemental Attack on Hradcanny

The messengers from Drinian finally reached Glorfindel in the dwarven city Hradcanny. Before they could head back to Daydelon the city was attacked at the West gate by a ice elemental. Glorfindel and his men hastened to help the dwarven army while the civilians in the city retreated to the mountain caves. Even the sturdy dwarven doors could not withstand the elemental long...

Well here is my biggest build to date (48x48 plus a 1 stud border), it weighs in at over 11 and 1/2 pounds. This is also my first try at a monster, which was one of the biggest challenges to build. It was a fun project though it took a while :laugh: , The microscale backdrop was interesting to build, especially the path to the caves, and I think it's what the Challenge specifies :look: The buildings are all modular and the backdrop pops off so I could take pictures of the back easier. The two ballistas in the front towers are functional and can swivel side to side/up and down, they are slightly modified versions of the one on my dwarven tower:

[media]

[/media]

EDIT: Thanks to Darkdragon's generosity the ballistas now use official LEGO rubber bands pirate_thumbup.gif

[media]

[/media]

Now onto some pictures!

7630025610_e8593f5136_z.jpg

Any comments or criticism extremely welcome :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Really excellent work here. I love the way the dragon is surrounding the people with the ice. Mitgardians don't fear the cold though, so haha to the dragon!

It's really great how your moc and photo skills have improved so much since the start. :thumbup:

Really excellent work here. I love the way the dragon is surrounding the people with the ice. Mitgardians don't fear the cold though, so haha to the dragon!

It's really great how your moc and photo skills have improved so much since the start. :thumbup:

I agree. And the ballista is awesome. :wub: I want to live in that castle. :thumbup::tongue:

I like the castle and the icy border finished things perfectly.

Edited by Cara

Thanks darkdragon! I was pretty happy with the ice effect, this is the first time I have been able to use the round wall technique because of the piece requirements. Yeah the dragon is gonna have a hard time :laugh:

I watched a tutorial on using digital cameras and it helped a lot in the picture department.

I agree. And the ballista is awesome. :wub: I want to live in that castle. :thumbup::tongue:

Thank you, I used the ballista design before, I just modified the looks a little on these.

I like the castle and the icy border finished things perfectly.

Thanks Cara :classic: I had a ton of those 1x1 rounds from the PAB wall and thought they would fit nicely.

Looks great soccerkid! I wondered who would be the first to post...I think that the microscale backdrop that you used fits nicely into the scene...probably my favorite part!

Great to see the first entry! good on you!

nice MOC, very mitgardian :wink:

am I the only one that can't see the photos? the video comes up fine but no photos and the link doesn't work for me

am I the only one that can't see the photos? the video comes up fine but no photos and the link doesn't work for me

your the only one, maybe log out and try again or if that doesn't work try on a different computer

Looks great soccerkid! I wondered who would be the first to post...I think that the microscale backdrop that you used fits nicely into the scene...probably my favorite part!

Thanks Kayne, glad you like the backdrop!

Awesome entry! Very well done! :thumbup:

I wish you good luck for the challenge!

Thank you mephistopheles :classic:

Great to see the first entry! good on you!

nice MOC, very mitgardian :wink:

Thanks, that was the idea :wink:

Are they working now? Hope you can get to see them :classic:

I like the monster best ;)

Thanks Angeli, I though he came out pretty well :classic:

I modified the backdrop a little thanks to some suggestions by Cara, the new pics are in the first post

:classic:

Looks very cold! (shivers)default_laugh_new.gif I like the monster but I think I agree with Kanye that the backdrop is my favorite part.

My only critisism would be the ballista towers. I have encountered the same problem before where I have wanted to cover a seige weapon from the elements but at the same time have unrestricted field of fire. I came to the conclusion that either I had to settle for open tower (tower duty soldiers were used to the elements anyway) or accept the reduction in field of fire by having four corners for the roof support. This could just be my opinion but three corner towers do not strike me as being structurally viable especially in climates where ice and snow are involved. Just my opinion and I did note that you used angled supports to try and compensate for the missing pillar.

I like the build overall. The rubber band is a little thick, would a LEGO variant work?

I saw the build before and after the changes to the backdrop and the backdrop changes are good.

In some of the photos I get a sense of the backdrop being a far away mountain/cave, but in others not so much.

Good work overall.

Looks very cold! (shivers)default_laugh_new.gif I like the monster but I think I agree with Kanye that the backdrop is my favorite part.

My only critisism would be the ballista towers. I have encountered the same problem before where I have wanted to cover a seige weapon from the elements but at the same time have unrestricted field of fire. I came to the conclusion that either I had to settle for open tower (tower duty soldiers were used to the elements anyway) or accept the reduction in field of fire by having four corners for the roof support. This could just be my opinion but three corner towers do not strike me as being structurally viable especially in climates where ice and snow are involved. Just my opinion and I did note that you used angled supports to try and compensate for the missing pillar.

Thanks Mikel Kalores :classic:

I like the build overall. The rubber band is a little thick, would a LEGO variant work?

I saw the build before and after the changes to the backdrop and the backdrop changes are good.

In some of the photos I get a sense of the backdrop being a far away mountain/cave, but in others not so much.

Good work overall.

Thank you ZCerberus, I don't have any suitable LEGO rubber bands to replace the normal ones :hmpf_bad: though you are right they look way too thick :laugh:

Glad you like the changes, credit to Cara for suggesting them!

I really like this MOC, and I think you should get extra credit for finishing early. Your monster is pretty cool, and not at all what I was expecting. I like the whole feel of the last stand, but I think the microscale may need some more detail to make it stick out.

Still, much better than the dredge I will be producing. Excellent build!

I really like this MOC, and I think you should get extra credit for finishing early. Your monster is pretty cool, and not at all what I was expecting. I like the whole feel of the last stand, but I think the microscale may need some more detail to make it stick out.

Still, much better than the dredge I will be producing. Excellent build!

Thanks! Extra credit would be cool :laugh: Glad you liked it :classic:

A very nice entry! Love the walls and the dragon. Looks really cold for the soldiers in the city!

The microscale is also looking good. But something I learnt when building my first microscale/forced perspective moc in my moc "Grief", was that the studs between the "real" moc and the micro should not be visable or that you shouldn´t be able to count them. Hope you get what I mean! :classic:

A great entry for sure and the moc is really Mitgardia! :thumbup:

A very nice entry! Love the walls and the dragon. Looks really cold for the soldiers in the city!

The microscale is also looking good. But something I learnt when building my first microscale/forced perspective moc in my moc "Grief", was that the studs between the "real" moc and the micro should not be visable or that you shouldn´t be able to count them. Hope you get what I mean! :classic:

A great entry for sure and the moc is really Mitgardia! :thumbup:

Thanks de Gothia :classic: Yeah, I understand what you mean about the background, not sure how I could have pulled it off though :wacko:

Thanks to Darkdragon the ballistas now use official rubber bands, check out the first post for a video of them in action and a pic too :thumbup:

Good work overall.

Get ready! Here it comes! The balista vid seemed really pointless. Why are you shooting those Mitgardians? Are you Avalonian? You should think about going south. I was going to quote ZC here but it wouldn't be fair. The micro scale backdrop dosen't work at all. The change is way too quick. More width and height would have made it more believable. Wait! You still have time to change that! Your idea is really good but you lack imagination in the background. I personally would love to see you succeed because I alway's consider you the underdog.(I love the underdog) You need a bit more violence too. Your scene doesn't convey any sense of despair.The action is way too calm. You really need more action. My harsh criticism aside; I love your building style. It's very soccerkid6!

Edited by Captain BeerBeard

Get ready! Here it comes! The balista vid seemed really pointless. Why are you shooting those Mitgardians? Are you Avalonian? You should think about going south. I was going to quote ZC here but it wouldn't be fair. The micro scale backdrop dosen't work at all. The change is way too quick. More width and height would have made it more believable. Wait! You still have time to change that! Your idea is really good but you lack imagination in the background. I personally would love to see you succeed because I alway's consider you the underdog.(I love the underdog) You need a bit more violence too. Your scene doesn't convey any sense of despair.The action is way too calm. You really need more action. My harsh criticism aside; I love your building style. It's very soccerkid6!

First, thanks for giving your honest opinion! There is a new video of the ballistas in action that I put up yesterday with it shooting at the Elemental monster.

You are probably right about the backdrop, but I ran out of dark bley and space in the 48x48 limitations. Also here is what SoT said about what they wanted for backdrops: "This is meant to be something more akin to background, not intense micro-scale MOCing." In such it should probably be taller but as I said I ran out of bricks. The scene could probably use more action, maybe I'll redo it that part and take some more pics. Glad you like my style and commented on what you think could be improved, I really appreciate it :thumbup:

First, thanks for giving your honest opinion! There is a new video of the ballistas in action that I put up yesterday with it shooting at the Elemental monster.

You are probably right about the backdrop, but I ran out of dark bley and space in the 48x48 limitations. Also here is what SoT said about what they wanted for backdrops: "This is meant to be something more akin to background, not intense micro-scale MOCing." In such it should probably be taller but as I said I ran out of bricks. The scene could probably use more action, maybe I'll redo it that part and take some more pics. Glad you like my style and commented on what you think could be improved, I really appreciate it :thumbup:

PM me any time. Your holdin' it down for guild! Your just awesome in general.

PM me any time. Your holdin' it down for guild! Your just awesome in general.

Thanks I will probably take you up on that soon :wink: , I put together a new fight scene:

004%20%282%29.JPG

The dwarve put his spear into the ice and it came right down the spear and around him :devil: Another dwarve is about to try and smash it off with his axe.

Also edited the new fight scene into the first post :classic:

Thanks I will probably take you up on that soon :wink: , I put together a new fight scene:

The dwarve put his spear into the ice and it came right down the spear and around him :devil: Another dwarve is about to try and smash it off with his axe.

Also edited the new fight scene into the first post :classic:

Great addition, because I also was missing some "action" fighting/confronting the monster!

The monster looks good especially it's face looking trhough the gate. The gatehouse and the towers are also well done, they have your style and I like the angles of the wall. I first had to look closely before I noticed the caves. But when I got it, and also saw the path to the caves. I have to say it works for me! :thumbup: