AFOLEGODT

REVIEW: 4204 The Mine (2012)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello everyone again,

It seems I am the only one buying the 2012 Mine theme that's why there is no review yet for the set 4204 The Mine. So I'm going to do it so you can tell how much you hate it and the whole theme altogether.

Let's see the box. It is quite big and heavy but not as huge as you would expect for the price:

p1010565.jpg

p1010566.jpg

Contents:

p1010567.jpg

p1010569.jpg

p1010570.jpg

Instructions and sticker:

p1010571.jpg

p1010572.jpg

There is no inventory on BrickLink yet so the list of parts might be useful:

p1010573.jpg

(Image is link to hi-res picture)

p1010574.jpg

p1010575.jpg

New parts and colors:

p1010576.jpg

p1010588.jpg

The finished semitrailer:

p1010577.jpg

At first I thought it was a design flaw when the rear window came off with the roof but according to the instructions this was intended and actually it works perfectly. It is interesting that the roof is brick-built although the usual roof wedge has been available for very long in green. It looks good though and interior also has a little more detail than usual:

p1010578.jpg

The trailer looks nice and normal when connected:

p1010579.jpg

Then you see the unusual connection. TLG designers used to have a realistic connection there which breaks often, this one is completely unrealistic but extremely robust. It is difficult to tell which aspect is more important, maybe some day someone comes up with a connection that has both.

p1010580.jpg

The stands have a new design also, it is very simple but I think it is both realistic and robust:

p1010581.jpg

p1010582.jpg

Now the next vehicle, the drill. To be honest I have no idea if real machines with similar build exist but as far as TLG design is concerned it is robust but a little <insert that tiresome argument>. Moreover having a mug in an open cockpit is not realistic at all:

p1010583.jpg

The simple play feature is there, rotate the drill:

p1010584.jpg

Next the first part of the scenery construction, a hole in the rocks and a single-use conveyor:

p1010585.jpg

Dynamite overload and the overused warning sign:

p1010586.jpg

A comfortable entry to the mine, who knows why:

p1010587.jpg

The remaining part of the scenery, another hole in the rocks with rails, the crane and train. The rails are surprisingly long:

p1010589.jpg

I think the nicest parts are the narrow-gauge train and the security door:

p1010590.jpg

p1010591.jpg

Unusual but effective build of the crane:

p1010592.jpg

Angle is fixed:

p1010593.jpg

The whole scene:

p1010594.jpg

Extra parts:

p1010595.jpg

Verdict

Design: 8/10 Designer managed to grasp many important scenes in a typical mine successfully but nothing extraordinary.

Build: 8/10 It was more exciting than for usual City sets thanks to some surprising details.

Playability: 8/10 Options are just enough for such a big set.

Minifigs: 10/10 Mining minifigs are just great.

Parts: 6/10 Not so exciting, few new parts or colors for a big set, too many single-use parts.

Overall: 8/10 if I try to be objective and measure within the City theme, for all others hating mine in general and hating the biggest mine set the most of course it is 0/10.

Thanks for reading or even for telling how much you won't buy this set! :classic:

I love the way this set looks from the front, but it's just too shallow for me. The fact that the whole mine is less than 10 studs deep makes it too little of the mountain for just too much money.

Neat review 'AFOLEGODT', I :wub: this set....cool mine to sit in a small valley or alike and that little train is the bomb ! :grin:

Plus I didn't pay full retail....got it for 99 bucks AU on sale a month ago. :wink:

The tipper tractor-trailer design appears to can go anywhere due to it's different attachment. :wink:

The driller almost reminds me of something from Thunderbirds. :laugh:

Thanks for the review 'AFOLEGODT'.....Brick On Review On ! :classic:

I think this set is great and looks fun to play with. I won't get it though unless I find it on sale for now. The price is too much IMO.

Anyways, Great detailed review! :thumbup::classic:

Nice review, 'AFOLEGODT'! :sweet:

This is probably the best City Mining set, but it is super overpriced. I probably wont pick this one up, as it isn't a necessary City set. :look:

Thanks for the review, AFOLEGODT.

I honestly think that this set looks like a lot of fun. I've been really tempted to pick it up on a number of occasions already, but I always remind myself that City sets go on sale regularly and to wait until that time comes. I'm a bit disappointed that the drill on the mining vehicle doesn't spin when you push and pull it, but at the bare minimum you can hand crank it from the rear. It's nice to see a set like this which is so different from the usual police and fire subthemes.

Any chance of a picture of the back of the mine? I know it's probably really unexciting, but I'm interested in seeing that view if possible. Thanks!

When I first saw this theme it just didn't really appeal to me, but great review. :wink:

Thanks for the review.

I got this set with a coupon a while ago and was pretty happy with it. I too was surprised by how much track they included for the train.

Actually though, I got mine to mod. I plan to make it a bit bigger (height and width), making both openings large enough for normal Lego trains to go through. then I'll stick it as the opening to a double-track tunnel on my layout :)

I'll pass this one up.

There's only one 2nd half 2012 set that I'm excited about, the City Garage 4207. And I'll only buy it when it's on sale in Jan/Feb like it usually happens.

I bought this one at a good price from Amazon.es and may buy one or two more copies later in the year for more rocks gold crystals and narrow gauge mine track ... if they sets are reduced further.

I would use the spare conveyor belts in my City Harbour area to load up my Freight Trains.

Along with the tipper truck I like the mine railway and might extend it into the mountain with some Superheroes Funhouse tracks. Similar to the Temple of Doom mines. :laugh:

and plan to incorporate the mine into my mountain when I eventually build my Diorama.

Possibly making it a Mine that runs into the Glittering caves of Helmsdeep or maybe the Mines of Moria? It depends on how big I can make my mountain. :) :) :)

my brother bought this set and his dog ate the dynamite... I like it alot, but its too pricy for me

I love the way this set looks from the front, but it's just too shallow for me. The fact that the whole mine is less than 10 studs deep makes it too little of the mountain for just too much money.

I agree. I wish there was a bit more "tunnel". I'm going to pass this one. Great review still.

Thanks for the review, AFOLEGODT.

I honestly think that this set looks like a lot of fun. I've been really tempted to pick it up on a number of occasions already, but I always remind myself that City sets go on sale regularly and to wait until that time comes. I'm a bit disappointed that the drill on the mining vehicle doesn't spin when you push and pull it, but at the bare minimum you can hand crank it from the rear. It's nice to see a set like this which is so different from the usual police and fire subthemes.

Any chance of a picture of the back of the mine? I know it's probably really unexciting, but I'm interested in seeing that view if possible. Thanks!

No problem at all, here you are please:

p1010596.jpg

Anything interesting? Nope:

p1010597.jpg

It could not be emptier:

p1010598.jpg

I hope I could help.

Interesting looking set, but honestly, I don't know if I have a use for it. I mean it's refreshing that TLG is trying something new instead of the tried and true Police/Firemen mainstays, but these sets seem overpriced for what you get, maybe because of the specialty bricks used?

I mean the concept is there, but the execution could have been much better.

Thanks for the nice review! :classic: This looks to me like a good set, I particularly like the narrow gauge train and the truck looks good too. :thumbup:

~buddy~

I have this set and like it.

The mine rail tracks do go quite a long way back but the surrounding mine tunnel is missing.

A few grey bricks from PAB or other sets would soon deal with this omission. :thumbup:

Very nice review. I would immediately rebuild this into a freight train station, it has great potential in that way.

Pretty Good review! :thumbup: Though I didn't relize how lame this set is,also the commercial said at the bottom"Baseplates nshown not included."Really?! :sing: And what is with LEGO and cofee mugs?!?!!? :wacko: Not being mean to people who like the set,but its my personal opinion.

I like legos city offshoots, the forest, mining and farm sets are really cool.

Couple of things,

My set I picked up from Legoland Windsor this week, In poly bag 2 (the truck's trailer) I was missing the 1 x 6 green plate to build the rear light panel, but instead I had an additional 1 x 4 green tile? It's really rare to get a mispick now days.

The second observation, when you grabber a big rock from the mine train, and lift it into the crusher hopper, the rock can't get through the gap onto the conveyor belt, the hopper could have been larger.

I do like the crane, I only wish the track it slides in was longer

The set is nice, just it should be a £50 set in a smaller box rather than a £70 set. Probably great set when it comes to sale time.

In a funny way, the set contains features from the old public works set of the 80's

Thanks for the review. Could someone tell me what the colorful studs are in the large mine doors? I've been racking my brains trying to figure it out. Cheers, Joe

Very nice set indeed! I now have about 5 of such a trains (for our LEGOWorld 2012 project)...

I actually love the looks of this set, though I do agree with most everyone else that a surrounding tunnel for the rails would have added a lot to the set overall. I'll have to wait for a sale/clearance to pick this one up.

Thanks for the review. Could someone tell me what the colorful studs are in the large mine doors? I've been racking my brains trying to figure it out. Cheers, Joe

I think that they are supposed to just make the doors look less "doorey" and more "rocky". :tongue: They don't do a great job however.