Sign in to follow this  
Captain Settle

Tolswick House

Very good Captain! The logs and the studs look very nice combined! :thumbup: Your skills have been improving. Two things I note, the roof looks a bit too "black" and big. Also, if you have the pieces, put an arch before the door, because I could see some holed in the doorway. :wink: Nice work though! :classic:

Thanks for the comment Captain. I too think the roof is too big, but I have no way round that. In term's of it being black, should I replace the black bricks with log bricks?

I like the studs and the logs look effective. I agree that the the doorway needs an arch to give it that nice finishing touch :thumbup:

Thanks for the comment Captain. I too think the roof is too big, but I have no way round that. In term's of it being black, should I replace the black bricks with log bricks?

Definitely. Or make it some other color like tan. But I'm not sure what would look better.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but the gables might need doing in log bricks- at present they do make the roof look too black in my humble opinion.

One way to break up the roof is just to add in a couple of different colored slopes. Dark Bley and Tan work great for that. Not too many, but just a couple scattered in there.

And on the sides, where it is solid brick instead of slopes could look nice with the log bricks built up there.

Looking good though. You are knocking out builds pretty quickly...I feel like I'm slacking when you guys keep posting new builds and I haven't in a while!

There is nothing inside it at the moment. As for the roof, I tried putting log bricks in it; Here is the result:

7597019966_5a1d44221c_z.jpg

Do you think it looks better or worse than before? Please comment on how I could improve it.

Edited by Captain Settle

Much better :thumbup: Now it just needs some gables like these:

6222276531_f88e07d8d4.jpg there are instructions on how to make them in DCs guide :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Your roof changes had a huge effect. Great job! I have one thought that all of us house builders have to deal with... Topography :ominous voice:

Your at the point where the beautiful house would love to be transplanted :( Its always easier to do build a house on a nice flat plate, and then a real pain to transplant it, but i have never regretted it! Steph has made me do this multiple times when i didnt want to. Looking at the MOCs we've posted, you couldn't believe how many were almost posted without the land that they did end up posted on. So... with that said, i think you should put this on some varying terrain ;)

Also little things like vines or plants stuck to the walls make for a great effect.

Excellent work!

Much better!

PS Soccerkid6, what is a gable? :blush: I see the picture, but is it anything specific?

Thanks for the comment's everyone! Siercon and Coral, by landscaping do you just mean putting green on the baseplate, or something else entirely?

Much better!

PS Soccerkid6, what is a gable? :blush: I see the picture, but is it anything specific?

The parts at the end of the roof that overhang the building, they cover up the step ups of the slope bricks. In the photo I posted they are the black plates with brown 1x1 rounds on the bottom.

I will have a look for some black plates, but I don't think I will be able to find any without going on bricklink, which is something I didn't want to do for this MOC. Next time I buy from a store on BL I will check to see if they have any black plates, so I can add gables.

A good second effort. Nice improvements. I don't know the size of your collection, so just a few general tips...

1) color. If you are going for a "real word" feel think about the materials that the real object would be made of and go from there. The tan layer of plates for example would be better if they were dark brown instead.

2) landscape/topography. The house is the main draw, but nature rarely does flat and barren. Add terrain and plant life or some man made elements like a fence or road. I think that was what S&C were getting at.

Keep on improving and in a few MOCs you'll get the hang of it.

I wanted to make a modular building, but for some reason I have a lot of tan plates and no dark brown ones. I do have a few reddish brown plates, but I wanted to save them. Once again, I will probably get some plates on my next BL purchase.

I wanted to make a modular building, but for some reason I have a lot of tan plates and no dark brown ones. I do have a few reddish brown plates, but I wanted to save them. Once again, I will probably get some plates on my next BL purchase.

Lack of pieces can surely be a trump card!

Nice house. lack of parts is a huge pain (I suffer from it too - although maybe not as bad as you seem to)

keep it up!

I am affraid to look at what I have spent on BL since the GoH project started. I now have bunch of 1x1 rounds, 1x reddish brown tiles and a bunch of 1x1 bricks with 1 stud on the side!

that said, I still find I have to take apart most my MOC to use the pieces for the next design