Selander

MOC: Swedish DA-Locomotive

Plan was to show this together with my Klossboda station, but for various reasons it's now a separate thread.

DA-class locomotives were the real work horses for SJ-Swedish state railways during a number of years.

This is my first 8wide model, and it was a "must" to be able to build a proportional and scalewise correct engine. Chassis is articulated to manage curves and points, and via a technic-brick based powertrain a PF-medium motor powers axles 1 & 3 with TLG large drivers. Body is built with lots of different SNOT technics and has room for IR-received and batterybox. Pantographs by "Steinkopf" are only slightly modified to fit this model.

I will now mod some wagons to be 7-wide to go with this engine.

Comments welcome.

7596421906_111dce92a2_b_d.jpg

7596421780_0aa7ee237c_b_d.jpg

7596422170_88ebcd2a28_b_d.jpg

Reference picture:

hel.jpg

Once again your models look very organic and real. Congratulations.

A question: The Model Railway photo seems to show a wheel; motor driver; wheel and wheel arrangement... but the model just seems to have three large wheels (no motor driver). Did I miss something in my 'wow' factors?

A question: The Model Railway photo seems to show a wheel; motor driver; wheel and wheel arrangement... but the model just seems to have three large wheels (no motor driver). Did I miss something in my 'wow' factors?

That is the first thing that I noticed looking at it as well. It is a very good MOC though and I like the overall appearance of it. I am guessing the other wheel in the reference is some kind of fly-wheel that would be hard to replicate as a working thing on the MOC(?) It would be nice to see it represented on your MOC (As it looks like you have room?) but nevertheless that does not detract from the excellent build that you have there. I think you were right to go 8 wide to get all the details you wanted, I find it much easier to go 7-8 wide for things.

So is it the case that often these types of rail-cars are hitched up to goods trucks of various descriptions like you have those fuel tanker wagons on yours? I am assuming these are therefore used on smaller rural lines and as such pretty much whatever goes up those lines is connected onto them, am I right?

Anyway, thanks for showing us another lovely model.

You are correct, but it's an intentional trade off to get a properly working chassis.

I tried BBB medium drivers but wasn't happy with them.

It looks deceptively simple but there's a lot of nice detailing there. I'd love to see the drive train inside.

Yet another great Moc by you Selander :wub:!

You've captured that classic "old" look from the time when the Swedish railways was still national :thumbup:. I'm looking forward to see the whole train!

Great creation! Very detailed an accurate.

(And I also would like to see inside this beautiful locomotive...)

Very nice work. I like the use of the minifig hooks to hold the pantograph together as well as the SNOT technique on the cab front. :thumbup: