CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

The smallest set is AWFUL. When I first saw it, I thought "Iron Man is fighting a hobo in an over-sized, fire-breathing shopping trolley?". As for the other sets, I think they are good for the price range. The problem seems to be the names of the sets more than anything, as they are awfully misleading. The War Machine set is another example of a very good £20 (or so I assume) Super Heroes set and the Mansion is pretty good for the price range and fairly recognisable. I'll be interested to see pictures of the other two Superman sets emerge online so I can start planning my spendings. When pictures of those come around, I will not judge based on names that give false expectations of massive sets; I will judge based on the content of the sets.

My opinions on these are very similar to others here, but I'll voice them anyway:

76008 - This... ugh, this is just terrible. These versions of Iron Man and Mandarin both look stupid, and that vehicle just looks ridiculous. I mean, Mandarin looks like a friggin bum! I will probably still get it for completeness sake, but it will not be a pleasant purchase.

76007 - This looks better. The repainted Deadpool chopper is forgettable, but the mansion is actually quite nice. It's far from accurate, but as a playset, it does its job well. It's recognizable enough from the exterior and has enough details to define the interior. My favorite bit is the robot arm with what appears to be the Mark V suitcase! Tony and Pepper are great, and Mandarin looks better here too, although his hair still seems off. One of the Hobbit dwarf beards or a completely new hair piece would have been better, but oh well. Can't tell who the other guy is supposed to be (it can't be Eric Salvin since his name on the box is much longer). Also, I guess we now know where the Rescue rumors came from: Apparently Pepper hops into the Mk. 42 armor and saves Tony. A bit disappointing, but not a big shock. Overall I look forward to this set.

76006 - Love it! The speedboat looks great, and I'm even quite satisfied with the solution they came up with for War Machine's gun. It looks fairly accurate and is even posable. Definitely one of the better $20 Super Heroes sets.

Whow!, the tendency was already there for a while, but with these sets Lego realy confirms it is going from the selling "construction sets with some minifigures added to spice it up" towards the "lets sell some sought after minifigures and throw in some bricks in order to justify the price tag, refer to our roots and avoid licencing problems" business model. Speaking about underwhelming...

Best value for money and probably the one that is going to be most popular, seems to be the harbour set, giving a new Iron Man suit and Warmachine. As a bonus you even get a more or less decent looking speedboat.

Depending on the final price tag, I might consider getting the Ultimate Showdown too.. but again only for the figs. Might be a relative cheap way to get hold of an Iron Man.. even seems to be a unique suit to this set..

Biggest disappointment must be the mansion set.. come on, I know we had the real estate crisis since 2007... but did it realy hit that hard we are supposed to take a wall for a mansion? Highlights of the set: again the minifigures. Specially the civil Tony and Pepper. (why, again, the only female fig needs to be in the most expensive set?) Anyway the price it will be going for over here will not justfiy buying it. Golden times ahead for bricklink minifig reseller I guess.

Let me conclude with an ironical hattip to TLG's marketing guys. Though I must admit I somehow do admire and respect what they have done here: creating high expectations and smoke curtains with the epic names they gave these sets. A guy in a pimped up golfcart attacking another guy: Ultimate Showdown! ; A small speedboat and a buoy: Estremis Sea Port Battle! ; A wall : Malibu Mansion!!! Attack (and a helicopter..)

Can't tell who the other guy is supposed to be (it can't be Eric Salvin since his name on the box is much longer).

No but it can be Extremis Savin since that is what the first word looks like, plus the name has a trademark so it isn't just some nobody pilot.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

I actually don't mind the extremis and Malibu mansion sets, not keen on the ultimate battle but the iron heartbreaker thingy is in it so I have to get it (smart move Lego.)

Soo... The Ultimate Iron Man Showdown is "Iron Man fights a homeless guy in a shopping cart"?

Hahahaha :rofl: that made me laugh so hard :grin:

(I loved Darth Lurtz's 'hobo with a flamethrower' too :laugh: )

I do agree though that the name of the set is an immense overstatement, but hey..

The only gripe I have so far is: why does Mandarin have black hair and why that hairpiece? The beardpiece looks good, though, I think.

Other than that, I will buy all these sets. Sure the Iron Man v.s. Mandarin Ultimate Showdown isn't much but I can always use the figs :classic:

The Malibu Mansion is somewhat smaller than I expected but it's still great. I love how they added the fire-extuingisher robot, he's awesome :tongue:

The Extremis set with the boat is cool too. I believe the Iron Man-suit is the same as in the Malibu Mansion-set, but that's okay, 'cause I'll just use the other one for Pepper. Besides, this one has War Machine in it too :devil:

Thanks for the pictures, CM4S!!

Regards,

Mitch

Edited by CF WeaZZel

I don't understand why the $10 sets don't go down to route of the smalll Ninjago walker/vehciles from this wave. They're very cool and don't look at all like shopping trollies.

I'm having a hard time getting into these sets. I don't know anything about the movie, so the sets don't really mean anything at this point. The sets look okay, but pretty uninspired. These types of vehicles should be 'add-on' parts to sets, not the sets themselves. Are Iron Man's adversaries trying to be like Batman and collect all of their modes of transport in the same style/color scheme?

Remember kids really only want the minifig's......the other bits and pieces are just a bonus to them hence why some of the vehicles are simple looking in the Super Heroes series of sets. :wink:

Whow!, the tendency was already there for a while, but with these sets Lego realy confirms it is going from the selling "construction sets with some minifigures added to spice it up" towards the "lets sell some sought after minifigures and throw in some bricks in order to justify the price tag, refer to our roots and avoid licencing problems" business model. Speaking about underwhelming...

I think there is some truth to that but that is probably a by-product of how popular the actual minifigs have become. In fact they have probably become the most valuable assets of most sets now.

I doubt the designers have any choice anymore but to come up with more acurate and expensive minifigures and bearing in mind they probably have to reduce costs at the same time we will end up seeing more and more sets where the construction part of the equation is more hollow, less detailed and have a lot less bricks. I don't see this changing for a while at least not with licensed products.

Mmm.. pictures seem to have taken down from this tread and the frontpage... An official TLG representative knocked the door? They are not hapy because not everybody shows their utter adoration and love for these sets???

Mmm.. pictures seem to have taken down from this tread and the frontpage... An official TLG representative knocked the door? They are not hapy because not everybody shows their utter adoration and love for these sets???

According to Brickset.....they were asked nicely be higher powers to be to remove them.....so if you haven't saved them now well..... :blush:

I remember a green minifigure that was said to be in the iron man 3 sets that the people at brickfair were not suppose to talk about. With these pictures that have been released does that mean its just a rumor.

We've been asked to remove them. Apparently B&N jumped the gun by posting them and Marvel (and by extension Disney) isn't happy about it. It has nothing to do with critical responses. Just corporate miscommunications.

Remember kids really only want the minifig's......the other bits and pieces are just a bonus to them hence why some of the vehicles are simple looking in the Super Heroes series of sets. :wink:

I'm trying to pretend that that isn't true, but your statement is absolutely correct. This is what LEGO has become, especially in the licensed theme, but also original themes to some degree. I don't really blame the set designers - they have to work within a certain price point, and I think they've done well in that regard.

Bwahhhhaaa! I rescued the pics! Anyhow Im excited but shocked with the so called

'Ultimate" battle set. As for the mansion, at this point Im just happy were getting

Iron Man sets. The speed boat set looks good, BUT, it looks like we're not getting

Iron Patriot........

MoS sets pics now please ;) But seriously I am going to get all the IM3 sets, metropolis showdown and black zero escape. Need the pics to decide on the battle of smallville.

I love all of the new iron man sets, they all are must buys and they look great, who is that woman in the iron man suit in the Malibu mansion, is it pepper Potts in the heart breaker suit??

I love all of the new iron man sets, they all are must buys and they look great, who is that woman in the iron man suit in the Malibu mansion, is it pepper Potts in the heart breaker suit??

The lack of a civilian Pepper and the female face in the Mark XLII makes it seem you can switch out who you want in the armour.

The lack of a civilian Pepper and the female face in the Mark XLII makes it seem you can switch out who you want in the armour.

Cheers for that :classic:

I'm betting they've included two heads for Pepper. After all they'd no doubt include a head for the Iron Man suit.