CorneliusMurdock

Lego Superheroes 2013 Rumours & Discussion

Wow, I haven't posted on here in a while. I've been really busy this past few months. Anyhow... When I first saw pictures of the Arkham Asylum set, thought, "OH.MY.GOSH.THAT.IS.THE.MOST.AMAZING.THING.I'VE.EVER.SEEN." :wub_drool: As for the Tumbler vs. The Bat set, it's ok. I do like it though (especially the fact that the Tumbler is accurately sized). I think the best idea to buy that would be with the The Dark Knight Rises on Blu-Ray. As for the Daily Bugle, meh. It's kind of bleh looking.

I am really disappointed in the Tumbler more so than the Bat, but the figures make up for it. The Bugle same thing. The building is okay, but the figures make up for it. I hope LEGO doesn't get into that groove too much, because I want both. A good build with a good figure line up. I'll end up getting both of them, but mostly for the figures because the aftermarket prices are too expensive. The Bat is pretty decent because I'll swap out the blue. The Tumbler will have to be something I try to MOC from these other great MOCs.

I'm glad there are finally pictures though. Maybe I'll just stick with Hobbit sets this winter.

I know Im in the minority but I actually like the Bat/Tumbler set. That's exactly what I was expecting for that pricepoint. Yes, the Tumbler is small, but hopefully it can fit Bane in it. I actually do like The Bat a lot. It's got a lot of stuff for just 40 bucks. Like the rest of you I would have liked to see a larger set, but I am content with this. Hopefully they explore making larger sets based on the Nolanverse in the future, there is just so much potential.

As for the Spiderman set, I don't like Spiderman at all as a character so I have no interest in it. :)

One other thing I don't get is why Lego never came out with more sets related to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Anyone have some ideas? My mind is blank in this.

One other thing I don't get is why Lego never came out with more sets related to Nolan's Batman trilogy. Anyone have some ideas? My mind is blank in this.

Well, unlike the avengers, nolanverse is much more adult. I think that has always been at the root of it.

I know Im in the minority but I actually like the Bat/Tumbler set. That's exactly what I was expecting for that pricepoint. Yes, the Tumbler is small, but hopefully it can fit Bane in it. I actually do like The Bat a lot. It's got a lot of stuff for just 40 bucks. Like the rest of you I would have liked to see a larger set, but I am content with this. Hopefully they explore making larger sets based on the Nolanverse in the future, there is just so much potential.

I agree with you: the Bat Tumbler is a good, fun set considering the price point. They captured the "essence" of the source material vehicles well enough. If I look at them, I know exactly what Batman-related media they're from. However, personally, I would have preferred them to shrink the BAT a little, and put more detail into both the Tumbler and BAT. Right away, if you shrink the BAT it's so easy to change the rotors on the "arms." In the set, the rotors are about the size of a 4x4 plate, right? Well, you could use a piece like this from the old Episode II speeders (http://www.bricklink....asp?P=4150px21), printed or as a sticker, with a rotor graphic. They would only take up the space of a 2x2 plate. Plus, these would be easier to recess into the arms, which is how they should be (see pictures below).

tumbler.jpgthe-bat-vehicle-dark-knight-rises-batman-movie.jpg

All of this aside, for me, getting a set that requires some customizing can be more fun than a set that is perfect out of the box. There's more to do than just build the model. And being able to use what you have to make something new is a large part of what makes Lego products so great.

As for the Bugle, someone else said it's a perfect complement to last year's bank (from Super Hero set #6864), and I couldn't agree more. For those of us that can't afford the modular buildings, and haven't been collecting city buildings over the years, I'm extremely happy to see Lego providing us with city buildings and environment components in the Super Hero line (like the traffic light and mail box in last year's Catwoman set, #6858). Combining these sets is a great way to have a city background for all your Super Hero needs. I hope the upcoming "Superman Metropolis" set (#76002) continues this tradition.

Lastly, I love Jameson's face plastered on the Bugle's giant TV screen. That's one of the things from the new cartoon I've grown very fond of. In the set, it makes the building very unique while playing to Jameson's ego. Thumbs up to the designer(s) for including the TV screen!

Edited by phanstasm

My main criticism of the DKR set is not the design aspect but the choice of squeezing both vehicles in a single set. I'm pretty sure the LEGO designers are a talented bunch and it's a shame that their creative talents are put under the spotlight just because of those "questionable decision-makers" who thought of this set and put a ridiculous price point restriction for the design team. It still perplexes me why TLG decided to give us one measly set (so far) considering the movie is one of the most highly anticipated of the year. :wacko: Is it because TDKR is more geared towards adults? If it is then why release a set that is so childish-looking it has little to no appeal to adults at all?

IMO it would have been better if they released the Tumbler and BAT in two separate sets, probably at $30 or so, and they could have given us a more detailed Tumbler rather than that unitimidatingly cute Chibi version (the BAT is typical TLG design which gives us lots of "rooms for

improvement".) Surely most will prefer more detailed vehicles in a 2-set combo at $30+/set rather than a cheap but silly-looking $40-set right?

My main criticism of the DKR set is not the design aspect but the choice of squeezing both vehicles in a single set. I'm pretty sure the LEGO designers are a talented bunch and it's a shame that their creative talents are put under the spotlight just because of those "questionable decision-makers" who thought of this set and put a ridiculous price point restriction for the design team. It still perplexes me why TLG decided to give us one measly set (so far) considering the movie is one of the most highly anticipated of the year. :wacko: Is it because TDKR is more geared towards adults? If it is then why release a set that is so childish-looking it has little to no appeal to adults at all?

IMO it would have been better if they released the Tumbler and BAT in two separate sets, probably at $30 or so, and they could have given us a more detailed Tumbler rather than that unitimidatingly cute Chibi version (the BAT is typical TLG design which gives us lots of "rooms for

improvement".) Surely most will prefer more detailed vehicles in a 2-set combo at $30+/set rather than a cheap but silly-looking $40-set right?

I would've bought that, too. Also a good opportunity to get Catwoman, and a Batcycle.

I would be more tempted if the set had been more detailed and somewhere around $70-$80 (which is a little expensive for me), but now I'll just have to hope the minifigures aren't too expensive separately. It's sad, since TDKR was such a good movie. I wonder if Warner Bros/Christopher Nolan likes what Lego did with their vehicles :sceptic:

I would be more tempted if the set had been more detailed and somewhere around $70-$80 (which is a little expensive for me), but now I'll just have to hope the minifigures aren't too expensive separately. It's sad, since TDKR was such a good movie. I wonder if Warner Bros/Christopher Nolan likes what Lego did with their vehicles :sceptic:

Well it would've to pass WB's inspection before Lego could sell it, like the rest of the toys based on TDKR.

Actually, I hate to suggest this, but the tumbler would benefit from a sticker on the windshield. Whats bothering me personally is that the traditional lego windshield makes it look like a cyclops in comparison to the actual vehicle. A sticker could help divide it into two smaller windows instead of one big one. Of course two of these: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=47758 in tan could work as an alternative to the two slope peices and the glass, like in Brent Waller cuusoo set.

Here: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8919

Actually, I hate to suggest this, but the tumbler would benefit from a sticker on the windshield. Whats bothering me personally is that the traditional lego windshield makes it look like a cyclops in comparison to the actual vehicle. A sticker could help divide it into two smaller windows instead of one big one. Of course two of these: http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=47758 in tan could work as an alternative to the two slope peices and the glass, like in Brent Waller cuusoo set.

Here: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8919

Good point about the sticker. It probably is too late to alter the packaging, but I hope Lego does include such a sticker with the product. And thanks very much for posting that link to Brent Waller's Tumbler! That was very generous of him to create the instructions and parts list - now I found a project to hold me over until Arkham comes out January 1st.

I agree with you: the Bat Tumbler is a good, fun set considering the price point. They captured the "essence" of the source material vehicles well enough. If I look at them, I know exactly what Batman-related media they're from. However, personally, I would have preferred them to shrink the BAT a little, and put more detail into both the Tumbler and BAT. Right away, if you shrink the BAT it's so easy to change the rotors on the "arms." In the set, the rotors are about the size of a 4x4 plate, right? Well, you could use a piece like this from the old Episode II speeders (http://www.bricklink....asp?P=4150px21), printed or as a sticker, with a rotor graphic. They would only take up the space of a 2x2 plate. Plus, these would be easier to recess into the arms, which is how they should be (see pictures below).

'snip' 'snip'

All of this aside, for me, getting a set that requires some customizing can be more fun than a set that is perfect out of the box. There's more to do than just build the model. And being able to use what you have to make something new is a large part of what makes Lego products so great.

As for the Bugle, someone else said it's a perfect complement to last year's bank (from Super Hero set #6864), and I couldn't agree more. For those of us that can't afford the modular buildings, and haven't been collecting city buildings over the years, I'm extremely happy to see Lego providing us with city buildings and environment components in the Super Hero line (like the traffic light and mail box in last year's Catwoman set, #6858). Combining these sets is a great way to have a city background for all your Super Hero needs. I hope the upcoming "Superman Metropolis" set (#76002) continues this tradition.

Lastly, I love Jameson's face plastered on the Bugle's giant TV screen. That's one of the things from the new cartoon I've grown very fond of. In the set, it makes the building very unique while playing to Jameson's ego. Thumbs up to the designer(s) for including the TV screen!

Wow! now that I look at the BAT compared to a picture of the actual BAT, it doesn't look to bad. :sweet:

Do you guys know if those are the only set pictures that are being released? I hope we get more since they're coming out in a few months ( December? January? ).

Well the lego version is the cheap version of the movie,I mean lego could have made a bigger detail on the bat,any ways it isnt so bad after all.

Edited by LOTR343

Do you guys think there will be one more surprise set from Marvel?

In 2012 we had 6 sets from DC and 6 sets from Marvel, without include the Ultra Buildings or Prom.

For 2013 we already know 11 sets (6 from DC and 5 from Marvel). There's this imagem from SDCC, it shows Batman, Superman and Aquaman and we're all going to have them in those 6 sets. But with the sets we know from Marvel there are only sets of Spider-Man and Ironman, could the 6th belong to Thor? Maybe from his upcoming movie?

I think this is very possible because this year we only got 1 set of spider-man, why not just one of Thor?

Edited by Breno - bbc

Do you guys think there will be one more surprise set from Marvel?

In 2012 we had 6 sets from DC and 6 sets from Marvel, without include the Ultra Buildings or Prom.

For 2013 we already know 11 sets (6 from DC and 5 from Marvel). There's this imagem from SDCC, it shows Batman, Superman and Aquaman and we're all going to have them in those 6 sets. But with the sets we know from Marvel there are only sets of Spider-Man and Ironman, could the 6th belong to Thor? Maybe from his upcoming movie?

I think this is very possible because this year we only got 1 set of spider-man, why not just one of Thor?

I think the Iron Man 3 and Superman sets are coming out in January, why would TLG release the set names now and not near the summer of 2013. 6 sets for Marvel, 6 sets for DC

Edited by Jackattack7

I think the Iron Man 3 and Superman sets are coming out in January, why would TLG release the set names now and not near the summer of 2013. 6 sets for Marvel, 6 sets for DC

We had the Avengers set name in August last year, but they didn't come out til April. We'll get three sets for DC and most likely three for Marvel( keep things equal) in Janurary.

The movie sets are for the summer to promote the films IM3 and MoS.

Thoughts on the three sets we have images of so far:

Arkham Asylum: Ugh. Please. 160 dollars for this grey hunk of junk? It's Arkham storefront with a bloated piece and minifig count for an untenable price.

Daily Bugle: Solid little tower, nothing special but nothing too extravagant. Solid minifigure selection, a more justifiable purchase than the mediocre August Spidey set.

Tumbler Chase: Vehicles are weak, especially the Tumbler, but not a bad parts pack. Buying this for the minifigures, like most superhero sets.

We had the Avengers set name in August last year, but they didn't come out til April. We'll get three sets for DC and most likely three for Marvel( keep things equal) in Janurary.

The movie sets are for the summer to promote the films IM3 and MoS.

I think we'll get 3 of DC (Arkham, TDKR, Aquaman) and those 2 of Spider. Then, we'll get iron man in april/may, superman may/june.

So, does anyone think it's possible get a set of Thor?

My thoughts

Arkahm: beautiful, perfect version of Arkham, nice fig selection all around perfect. All gothic and dark, accurate to how it appears when it is first starting out. Though I would like a replaceable window for the Broken one and a scythe for Scarecrow.

Tumbler: I like it, it's grown on me. For an inspired set, it's very accurate but comic book looking. The tumbler is small but accurate for a medium set. The minifigures are good, Gordon has a gun, Comicbook looking and better choice than that Indiana Jones big ugly gun!

Bugle, building is accurate to the show, with the JJJ screen is a perfect touch, but so easy to make comic book like. The Doomjet is blockey but accurate to a similar one that appears in the episode "Not a Toy", but I like it. Figures are a good choice for a set loosely based on "Beetle Mania", I hope JJJ has a second face, for when he's like "Spider-Man is a menace!"

But $ 250 for three sets?! Hopefully the other three will be cheap I better start saving!

I think we'll get 3 of DC (Arkham, TDKR, Aquaman) and those 2 of Spider. Then, we'll get iron man in april/may, superman may/june.

So, does anyone think it's possible get a set of Thor?

Yeah, but I think they'll keep things equal. But Thor sets are plausible, but maybe not until fall as the film is in November.

Edited by Neville longbottem

I can see in respect to the image of the real 'The Bat' why Lego have some blue in it....look carefully...even though it's black, it has a shimmer/gloss on the surface that has a blueish tint to it.

In any case I still want this set.....easy buys next year - just four SH sets (cool, more money for city, turtles and Lone Ranger). :classic:

While I think TLG did a good-decent job of designing the Tumbler and Bat, I kind of think that it should have less blue than it does. Looks more comic-like with that than it was all-black. Other than that I have no problems with the DC set (except maybe the gun that Gordon gets, but that's a minor issue).

My thoughts:

Not getting any Marvel (only collecting DC)

Arkham Asylum Breakout: Stunning design, lovely gates, amazing selection of minifigs, good Arkham transportation van, also comes with Harley Quinn head and hat BUT. The only two gripes I have with this set is the lack of cells, get rid of poison Ivy and create a Bane cell, also combine office and changing room for another cell. But £129.99!!! I would of definitely got it for £99.99 - £109.99, now i will have to think about it.

Mr.Freeze v Batman - Aquaman on Ice: £11.99 or even £19.99, I will get that set definitely.

The Bat .vs. Bane - Chase with Tumbler: At £29.99, I will get it for great minifigs and beautiful Bat. The Tumbler is growing on me, it can fit Bane inside and now from thinking it was crap I now think it's below average.

Edited by Jackattack7