Pellaeon

[MOC] Midi-scale Super Star Destroyer Executor

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

:vader:Executor, Vader's Star Destroyer by Pellaeon

My take on Vader's flagship from The Empire Strikes Back: the Super Star Destroyer Executor. Nineteen kilometers from stem to stern, Executor is over 11 times the length of a typical Imperial Star Destroyer.

7436167114_b323b467dd_c.jpg

It's time for Eurobricks' third Executor MOC in as many weeks! Others have gone big or gone accurate, but I've opted to go midi! TLG's 10221 is lovely, but at $400 and 4 feet in length, it's a bit impractical... this 22-inch version has taken me weeks and countless revisions, I'm pretty happy with the result. All photos are links to larger images on flickr.

7436168410_22e51cd6d8_c.jpg

7436169948_68566b0d5a_c.jpg

7436167724_b9f13abfbc.jpg

7436166432_90d713337e.jpg

7436169288_78ff7e35a2.jpg

I need to take more and better pictures when I get a chance... I forgot to take any pictures of the bottom of the ship. :wacko: Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy these photos!

Serious question for the micro-scale MOCers: So here's a problem: my 2-inch "to scale" Imperial Star Destroyer is actually waaaaay bulkier than it should be because of its snub nose--it would be almost 3 inches long if the bow continued to a sharp point. I made a smaller Star Destroyer using two 2x4 wedge plates, but I'm not happy with it... What are the alternatives? Is there a way to build a 2-inch Star Destroyer with something other than those blunt-nosed wedge plates?

UPDATE 13 JULY: Here are some more photos, now featuring the smaller Star Destroyer discussed on the second page of this topic. Photos are links to flickr, as always. Enjoy!

7565423384_81ed157277_z.jpg

7565424154_c230beec85_z.jpg

7565423104_3a413b1701_z.jpg

7565422754_4182c5733d_z.jpg

Edited by Pellaeon

Hello!

wow, your MOC is fantastic. It has really captured the key features of the SSD but in a convenient size :-D I note that you've angled the bottom hull (and the front engines) and have a nice, svelte engine area thing like the "real" model. You've also managed to straighten up the tail, too---some implementations (e.g. mine;-) I think taper the tail too much.

I am very impressed. Congratulations =)

cheers

John

This is really cool man! I’d really like to have one to display in my collection. Any chance for instructions? Top notch building here!

I assume this is the same one I saw on fbtb? Really like it, and I'm sure many people would like to make it.

Seems like building SSDs has become somewhat of a trend here :laugh:

As a self proclaimed SSD nut, I really like what you have done with this MOC. Your attention to detail is wonderful - especially considering the small form factor you are working with :thumbup:

That you have also managed to slope the forward and engines in relation to the lower hull, really makes me a fan of this MOC :wub:

I would like to see the model from some more angles though- profile, bottom etc.. I want to see everything and make more comments! :laugh:

Absolutely fantastic, I do love the city part most of all, it has the right sort of detail.

Wow, looking good!! Would be an insta-buy for me default_blink.gifdefault_thumbup.gif

I agree, that is a thing of beauty. Please tell me you either have instructions or that you also built it in LDD.

Excellent mid-scale ship 'Pellaeon', if memory serves me correct didn't this ship slam into the Death Star II above Endor in ROTJ ? :wink:

Brick On 'Pellaeon' ! :classic:

I wish LEGO had continued the midi scale line, this is definitely a ship I'd have gotten. I feel that yours' would have been similar to TLG's version. :thumbup:

Top-notch job there. :classic:

Wow! To work this amount of accuracy and detailing into a midi scaled model like this is impressive to say the least. A big thumbs up from me :thumbup:

I really like Midi-scale, it's sad that LEGO has given up on it. I was building one of these, but it's was going to be two feet long and it never worked out. You've done an excellent job of building how I thought I should build one. To answer your question, there are always going to be compromises when you build small stuff with square blocks. :wink:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

(...) What are the alternatives? Is there a way to build a 2-inch Star Destroyer with something other than those blunt-nosed wedge plates?

I can understand why the nose of the Star Destroyer is bothering you in this scale, so i've been giving this some thought. Have you tried the SNOT approach? You can probably achieve a much sharper wedge shape with SNOT-ed slopes, but the downside is that you get a much thicker hull in return. It might be worth a try though and see how it turns out, maybe it doesn't look so bad.

Update: How about something like this?

microsd.jpg

Edited by DFOL

Thanks everybody! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :classic: And thanks to Masked Builder for the blog!!

wow, your MOC is fantastic. It has really captured the key features of the SSD but in a convenient size :-D I note that you've angled the bottom hull (and the front engines) and have a nice, svelte engine area thing like the "real" model. You've also managed to straighten up the tail, too---some implementations (e.g. mine;-) I think taper the tail too much.

I am very impressed. Congratulations =)

Thank you! I'm super-impressed with the precision of your work--I wished our projects hadn't overlapped, I'd have used some of your work as reference! :grin:

I really like how flat your design is--you can't always tell from the scenes in the movie, but the model photos reveal how much wider and flatter it is that one might expect. TLG's Executor is quite fat (as you show) and mine is a bit chubby too. Ideally my side panels would be a stud or two wider, giving it a much shallower slope... but then to avoid going longer, I'd need to use the 2x4 wedges and I think that would mess up all my other angles. I may try it someday though!

Anyway, thanks for the complements and I will certainly keep an eye on your work.

I can understand why the nose of the Star Destroyer is bothering you in this scale, so i've been giving this some thought. Have you tried the SNOT approach? You can probably achieve a much sharper wedge shape with SNOT-ed slopes, but the downside is that you get a much thicker hull in return. It might be worth a try though and see how it turns out, maybe it doesn't look so bad.

Update: How about something like this?

[snip]

That's quite nice! I did experiment with SNOT slopes, but ran into problems: either you use the 1x4 slopes (as you did) and make the ship closer to 3 inches in length (much too big) or use the 1x3 slopes and make it comically wide.

I think I have a solution, check it out (it's the far one--you can see I built DFOL's too):

7565422288_1d866ca75b.jpg

7565423694_ec91fd5530_n.jpg

It's a little ugly and I dislike using the white 1x1 round plate with hole, but it's spot-on for the size. So I guess it works!

More pics:

7565424154_c230beec85_z.jpg

7565423104_3a413b1701_z.jpg

PS: I updated the first post with a few new photos, of the side and the underside.

This is awesome for midi scale. I love how it still has all its small details, but scaled down from its larger counterpart.

Excellent job. :classic::thumbup:

Your latest solution for the micro Star Destroyer is very creative! The fact that the underside of the plates are showing on the sides and that there are some gaps where they meet in the middle may be a bit less elegant, but 1) you achieved a very nice wedge shape, 2) it's the correct size and 3) it's in light grey. All things considered i think this is as good as it gets in this scale, so very nicely done! :thumbup:

Hello,

I really like how flat your design is--you can't always tell from the scenes in the movie, but the model photos reveal how much wider and flatter it is that one might expect. TLG's Executor is quite fat (as you show) and mine is a bit chubby too.

Heh, thanks :blush: , but yours has the advantage that it actually exists In Real Life. Mine is still struggling with that because I haven't really nailed the internal hinging that holds the hull together properly. (It's partly there, but working with that in LDD where you can modify only one hinge at a time is earth-shatteringly painful.)

You say that your model is chubby, but it really doesn't look it. Your side may well be steeper than you may like, but it still looks great.

Your new ISD looks cool, and I also like DFOL's solution, too.

cheers

John

Wow, beautiful work! If that was in stores, I would definitely buy.

Often scaling things down smaller, can be more complicated than making them bigger. You've captured the SSD perfectly in midi form!

Very nice for this scale! Do you know how many bricks you used? Unless I missed, it wasn't mentioned in the thread. Just curious :)

Gorgeous. The one thing I don't like about it is that I can't go to the nearest toy store right now and buy me one! :laugh: