Sign in to follow this  
PoweredbyNorth

UCS XWing 2nd edition

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

USC X-Wing 2nd edition

7535858416_7659bb0d96.jpg

USC XWing 2nd edition by PoweredbyNorth, on Flickr

For some reason the X-wing with it’s characteristic shape has always been one of my favorite models in the Star Wars galaxy. It is fast and agile, it looks aggressive and strong and yet it is elegant and balanced. With the wings in attack position it must have been truly fearsome for all those imperial tie fighter pilots! Being the weapon of the saga’s great hero and a symbol for the Rebellion it is truly an icon for the Star Wars universe.

Early 2012 I recovered from my Lego dark ages after 25 years or so. First of all I was really overwhelmed and impressed by all the new models, themes, bricks, colors, building techniques etc. I didn’t have an clue of things like LDD, Bricklink, the numerous moc pages, fan pages, Cuusoo, internet fora, etc. To make a long story short: an old hobby had been revived and right now I’m fully up and building again!

After buying and building some of the existing USC models I decided the original USC X-wing earned a well-deserved remake after 12 years! I’m pleased and proud to show you the USC X-wing 2nd edition!

Some facts:

Dimensions (metric)

Length: 64cm

Width: 63cm

Height (on stand): 46 cm

Height (on feet): 16cm

Dimensions (studs)

Length: 79 studs

Width: 76 studs

Scale: 1:20

Weight: 3.9 kg

# parts: probably around 3500-4000

Features:

100% made of Lego bricks (no cheats!)

Fully functional wing folding mechanism (to be operated at the back of the ship)

Detailed cockpit with cockpit stairs

Replaceable R2-D2 (should any damage be done to the droid)

2 maintenance hatches

Cargo room with details

Cargo/people transporter

Detachable landing gear (2 rear, 1 front)

Front gear hatch can be closed

Some of the challenges I faced when building the model

- Because the model is quite large the wings turned out to be pretty heavy. It took me 6 or 7 versions (lost count) to get the mechanism strong enough, not only to open the wings, but also to open them far enough and to keep them horizontal when closed. The final version consists of 28 gears and fills almost the entire hull.

- The wing engines turned out to be a real challenge. I need a round shape to match the scale of the spacecraft. Standard cylinder-like bricks are either 4x4 of 8x8 studs and I wanted 6x6. Then I bumped into a part that allowed me to create the round form built around a technic disc. The engine exhausts were a challenge on its own, but together with my son, LDD and a great deal of creativity I think I've managed to get quite a nice result.

- The nose section required some iterations as well. I tried to capture the pointy shape and the roundish nose that completes it. It sort of felt like sculpturing...

Well, that’s it! If you want to know more, have some comments or questions, please drop me a line. More pictures can be found on my Flickr page here:

I hope you like it!

7535859502_1e0367d0e7.jpg

7535866544_0048a00c28.jpg

7535868494_3f3e087d8d.jpg

7535864734_b3e38d22ee.jpg

7535873426_d29a395ae4.jpg

7535870350_5c895346fb.jpg

7537109796_0ccabe26e0.jpg

Gor-ge-ous.

That awkward looking fighter LEGO gave us 12 years ago needed a re-make, and this is the perfect one. Sleek, clean... I'm even fan of the stand it sits upon. Beautiful work.

This is a fantastic MOC! There are surely people better qualified than me to comment on the accuracy to the source material but from what I can see your model is very faithful to the X-wing. Its certainly a substantial improvement over Lego's version which while still a fantastic model is perhaps looking a little dated compared to some of their more recent UCS models.

While it is indeed a very nice moc for me the dimensions are slightly out a bit, fix those and it is perfect!

While it is indeed a very nice moc for me the dimensions are slightly out a bit, fix those and it is perfect!

Hi there! Can you be more specific? Which dimensions you think are wrong?

I want one! This looks really great and the smaller color palette you used gives it a nice clean feel! I also really like the landing gear and ladder you added. It's a nice display alternative to the stand. Did you use the directions for the Lego UCS as a reference?

Edited by Dapper-D2

x-wing2a.jpg

it's a bit wide in between the s-foils, the nose is a bit short and the engine could be larger, but narrowing the body would probably correct the other two things.

I really like it, but the main body looks a bit "fat". I'm no expert on scale, so ignore me, but that's my opinion. Still way better than I could ever do though!

Very nice work here :thumbup: I like your detailing and the clean look -the original X-wing is a it messy. But perhaps you model is a bit too clean - X-wing are supposed to be dirty :wink:

Other than that, I agree with Cave regarding the proportion tweaks, but this has the potential to be one of the very best X-wing MOCs out there :thumbup:

it's a bit wide in between the s-foils, the nose is a bit short and the engine could be larger, but narrowing the body would probably correct the other two things.

Start out by saying most impressive!. It look really great but I will have to agree with Cavegod on the dimensions, something just looks a little off. The nose needs lengthening to stop it looking too bulky at the back.

The colours look spot on and I love the technique used for the rear of the engines.

Trust Star Wars fans to dish out the criticism. Not that I think criticism is bad, mind you; it's a great thing, but as it applied to this model I personally it should be phrased more like 'this is already a fantastic model, and here's a few areas you could make it even better.'

I think this model is wonderful already, PoweredbyNorth, and I hope you don't take people's abundant criticism the wrong way. Your photography is also fantastic!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Trust Star Wars fans to dish out the criticism. Not that I think criticism is bad, mind you; it's a great thing, but as it applied to this model I personally it should be phrased more like 'this is already a fantastic model, and here's a few areas you could make it even better.'

I think this model is wonderful already, PoweredbyNorth, and I hope you don't take people's abundant criticism the wrong way. Your photography is also fantastic!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

He started out by saying, "While it is indeed a very nice moc".

He started out by saying, "While it is indeed a very nice moc".

As I didn't reply to any particular comment, I was not addressing my sentiments towards anybody in particular. I was just commenting generally.

As I didn't reply to any particular comment, I was not addressing my sentiments towards anybody in particular. I was just commenting generally.

Considering his really was the only post that wasn't overly complimentary I tought you were referring to him. If not then I'm not sure where all of those criticisms you mentioned were since everyone else was very complimentary.

Regardless, sorry for the misunderstanding. Cheers

Considering his really was the only post that wasn't overly complimentary I tought you were referring to him. If not then I'm not sure where all of those criticisms you mentioned were since everyone else was very complimentary.

It looks like you're right. :facepalm: I'm accidentally a nutter sometimes. Sorry. I'll stop spamming this topic now.

Impressive job on this much needed upgrade of the UCS X-Wing! One cannot see this MOC and not appreciate the time and effort that went into creating this! :sweet:

I do agree with some of the comments above that the shaping of the main hull is not yet perfect. Like someone said, it looks a bit "fat", and i really miss the hexagonal shape that is so characteristic of the "real" X-Wing.

Still, i think it's leagues ahead of the original UCS model, so thumbs up for a job well done! :thumbup:

x-wing2a.jpg

@Cavegod: I've made some extra pictures from the same angle and merged them:

7545247920_6f21ed8ef5.jpg

Red five comparison by PoweredbyNorth, on Flickr

You might be right about the nose being a bit short, but it's not much, maybe add two studs and it's done. I think the angle I choose on some of the other pictures introduce some sort of perspective distortion, don't how to put it. An other thing I spot is the engines that could be a little higher, so that the model get more shoulder. Also the cockpit is really different. I wanted to use a glass cockpit and the only alternative then is the original 7191 screen (which cost me 37 euro on bricklink, but that's another matter...). Perhaps I can find a way to tilt the entire screen slight backwards, or otherwise create something without glass. Another difference I spot is the fuselage. The top on the original seems flatter. I think the width is ok. And lastly, the nose in the original is hexagonal, mine is not. Reason for that is mostly the sturdiness I wanted. I feel that a construction with angled plates will not be that stable. But let me think on that.

Btw: thank you all for all the compliments! And of course for your - I presume - well meant criticism. For the moment, I will keep the model as it is (mainly because I'm now in a new project with a modular house). When I find the time, I will probably start the USC Xwing 2nd edition v2 :tongue:

PS: Clone O Patra commented on the photography job. Credits for that go to my friend Marc (loosfotografie.nl), to be seen in action here :wink:

7545333506_545daa9397_n.jpg

Untitled by PoweredbyNorth, on Flickr

Edited by PoweredbyNorth

Yes that angle is better but it does show the problem, R2 is too small and the greebs behind him should be wider. Maybe widen them 2 studs and instead of the 33 slopes use cheeses and tiles.