Sign in to follow this  
Tontus

UCS Astromechs

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I bought the UCS R2-D2 to take advantage of the TC-14 promotion, and absolutely loved it. So much so that I had to start making my own based on that design. I made a few changes along the way like replacing the saw with a hand on R2-B1 and adding the containers to the back to hold extra appendages/tools that I hope to build. Too bad it didn't occur to me that a 3x3 disk won't fit in a 2x2x3 space. Oops.

Anyway, I built these by designing them in LDD, then uploading the parts into wanted lists on Bricklink and then ordering those parts. To save money I'd make design changes on the fly while ordering such as replacing a 1x10 plate with a 1x4 and a 1x6. That helped but I didn't make any notes of those changes, so building turned into a bit of a pain at times.

First up is R2-B1.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The new hand helped out while building R2-R9.

3.jpg

I also added lights and will eventually give the LED treatment to all of them.

r2-r9_1.jpg

r2-r9_2.jpg

Finally we have R2-Q2.

r2q2_1.jpg

r2q2_2.jpg

r2q2_3.jpg

Surely I can't be the only one doing these, so please share if you've done any. I'm planning on eventually making a dozen of these, including R4's and R5's.

Surely I can't be the only one doing these, so please share if you've done any. I'm planning on eventually making a dozen of these, including R4's and R5's.

I think you are :oh3: Amazing job though, I can't wait to see some R5 units. :thumbup:

Great work! :thumbup: You're the first i know of to make the UCS astromech in custom colors, so i don't know if anyone else has tried this yet. I'd love to see the R5 units! :sweet:

Awesome work, and awesome idea! :wub:

I'm sure a few more astromechs might soon follow!

Great job! I might make one if I decide to splurge on a large BL order :wink:

Oh wow! *oh2* I think you are missing a family photo of them all together, as impressive as they all are individually, they need a family photo!

Three great astromechs. :thumbup: Quite a good idea, and I was planning something similar with alternate colours of Jedi Starfighters. I can't pick a favourite out of your droids! I'm looking forward to more.

Wow Tontus, these are lovely. I've been tempted to do the same myself. I cant wait to see more UCS astromech's come off the production line. :thumbup:

These look excellent. I looked at doing an R2-Q5, but didn't think I could get the gold pieces required. Which lights are you using? I got one of the artifex kits the other day, but I've had real trouble getting them to fit properly.

I have made a green and white astromech but the legs are terrible and its nowhere near as good as yours - its head rotates and its third leg comes down as well as a light in the eye but thats pretty much it. :D

R5 5 units would look good in this style.

I like the black one.

These look excellent. I looked at doing an R2-Q5, but didn't think I could get the gold pieces required. Which lights are you using? I got one of the artifex kits the other day, but I've had real trouble getting them to fit properly.

I used the artifex kit plus tape. They don't fit the way I expected them to, but with a little tape to hold them in place they work good enough. R2-Q5 is a real challenge. From what I could tell, gold isn't going to work. Dark orange makes a good substitute, but you'll run into problems on the bars across the chest. My solution will be to use a dremel to make a piece that I need. I have a screenshot from my LDD version, but I'm having trouble uploading it to brickshelf right now.

I do have screenshots of future R5-D4 and R4-I9.

lddscreenshot48.jpg

ldd49.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my R4 design, but the R5 is off a bit and I can't quite figure out where. I think maybe the eyes are too close together. That is a hard shape to make especially considering the starting "foot print" you have to work with. Any suggestions on improving them would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm trying out something different on the chest grill things on the R4. I'm not sure if it's better or not.

I love these! R2 is really so much more fun in pretty colors, or at least different colors, than plain old blue and white. I can't wait to see the R5s and R4s in the bricks! Great job.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Wow! These are better than the R2D2! Even though R2D2 is more iconic, these are more eye catching :thumbup: I'm looking forward to see your R4 design. Any chance of having a picture of all of them lined up once you are finished?

I quite like the UCS R2-D2 but am put off buying it by the age-old fear of sunlight on white bricks - so this would be an excellent solution to my problem. A great idea, I think R2-Q2 is my favourite so far. :thumbup:

Do you know roughly how much you need to spend on BL to build just one of these (average price maybe)?

I quite like the UCS R2-D2 but am put off buying it by the age-old fear of sunlight on white bricks - so this would be an excellent solution to my problem. A great idea, I think R2-Q2 is my favourite so far. :thumbup:

Do you know roughly how much you need to spend on BL to build just one of these (average price maybe)?

It's tough to come up with a price. I would sneak in a minifig here and there, or maybe add some plant pieces, etc. Also, the end of the ordering process would add to the cost when you need 40 cents worth of pieces and only 1 seller has the quantity you need with a $10 minimum.

There is also the new vs used parts to consider. After getting a few pieces that looked like they were not only chewed, but swallowed and retrieved 2 days later, I no longer buy used so that will add to the price.

Each build also had at least 1 rare/hard to find piece, but with some creativity you can avoid those if you want. If you really study the build, you can figure out which pieces don't matter what color they are or even some that can be omitted entirely to save a few bucks.

All in all, I'd say it felt like I bought them for full price at TRU. They probably averaged about 10 cents a piece, or about $210. That also includes shipping by the way. The first one I built took 13 orders I think, the 2nd was 9 and the last was only 4, so your skill with BL affects the price.

Wow! These are better than the R2D2!

Blasphemy! :tongue:

I've thought of doing this myself, not only with the new UCS set but with the various other Artoos (Technic, Mindstorms, etc.), though what I really want to do eventually is come up with my own, totally original design for a LEGO astromech and use that for as many of the little droids as I can. But I still want the new set (though it'll have to wait until I have funds!).