Lego Amaryl

[Review] 30201 Monster Fighters ghost polybag

Hi everybody,

I know there's already a review of this set, however I made a short photo review of this set for an Italian forum and I'd like to share it also here because it's my first review... and I was inspired by the reviews that I often read on Eurobricks :wink:

I got the set from the German site Spieletom, for € 2.99 plus shipping.

The set is packed in a little polybag, made of the same material of the bags that contain pieces in sets, but printed with the set picture. Please note the symbol that indicates the presence of a "glow-in-the-dark" element.

dsc_0739.jpg

The polybag contains the pieces and the tiny instruction paper.

dsc_0741.jpg

First page of the instructions paper. Again, the symbol indicates that the ghost cloak "glows in the dark".

dsc_0742.jpg

I couldn't resist assembling the ghost. Simple but nice: the head piece, completely black, gives the face its spectral look. The minifig has a brick 1x2 instead of the legs. The chain with the weight is attached under the brick.

dsc_0743.jpg

With low light, after having exposed it to the light for a little time, the ghost cloak glows:

dsc_0744.jpg

These are the pieces for the clock pendulum. You can notice some useful modified bricks and cheese slopes in reddish brown, the classical clock round 2x2 tile and the paddle used for the pendulum.

dsc_0748.jpg

The clock is elegant and realistic. Its only flaw is that the pendulum is motionless. I'm thinking of a solution to make it swing.

dsc_0750.jpg

And then some photos of the whole set...

dsc_0751.jpg

dsc_0753.jpg

...and a photo in the complete darkness.

dsc_0755.jpg

A simple effect obtained by adding the last two photos:

unione.jpg

Finally, this is a set with a good value for the money, especially if you compare it to the collectible minifig that, for 2-2.5€, give you only the minifig with some accessories. The pieces included are very common, but the ghost itself is worth the price. If you have, in your layout, an abandoned villa or castle, you've found a perfect tenant for it!

Edited by Lego Amaryl

This is a really nice set. This is a good add on to the upcoming Haunted House :thumbup:

Got to be one of the best polybags in some time. I'm guessing it's a promo for the haunted house? Either way, it's fantastic. Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Nice review 'Lego Amaryl'! :classic:

Like 'Algernon', I think this is definitely one of the best polybags EVER. The Ghost figure is fantastic, as goes for the clock. :thumbup:

I love this polybag set! Thanks for the review aswell! I've ordered some monster fighters from there too, they still haven't shown up yet on my island.

This is a great set if you haven't picked up any of the Monster Fighters sets yet and for those who love ghosts! :wink: Great review.

Brilliant little polybag, it's great to have access to a ghost just by itself with some good little pieces! Seeing it here makes me want it even more! Only problem is shipping costs more than double the price of the ghost polybag itself to the UK... Any ideas if/when this might be available in the UK?

Brilliant little polybag, it's great to have access to a ghost just by itself with some good little pieces! Seeing it here makes me want it even more! Only problem is shipping costs more than double the price of the ghost polybag itself to the UK... Any ideas if/when this might be available in the UK?

I don't know if it will be available in other shops and I don't know why Spieletom sells them while every others don't. I think this kind of sets should be promo, but I've never happened to see a promotion where you get them.

If you manage to find other people in your city that want it, you can share shipping cost. In this way I got it at about 30 cent of shipping cost :sweet:

Edited by Lego Amaryl

is a very good review. I like that the LEGO group made this set, because it would be quite expensive to buy the Ghost train to get some ghosts. :classic:

Excellent review! :thumbup: This is a nice little set, the ghost figure is great. I think the clock would be a great addition to the Haunted House.

Thanks for the superb review.

This set is really very simple but looks great and I think it's really rather cute.

I hope that this is available on S@H around Halloween for everyone to buy as they will, but I've got a feeling that it'll be given as a free gift when you buy the Haunted House set...which is of course perhaps a little too pricey for some.

Luckily your review confirms that this would be very easy to recreate with common parts.

A nice review of a cute little set. Before that, I didn't even know it existed, but this review sparked my interest and I bought one, as well.

Now I'm going to see if I can add a couple more, because the ghost itself is just plain awesome and a most welcome addition to my monster collection. And the build is great for a small polybag as well, both to add detail to existing buildings (Vampire Manor, e.g.) as well as getting a couple reddish brown pieces and some short chains.

I really like the way Lego has been putting out, or planning in the future, some really decent polybags with regard to popular themes like Super Heroes, Lord of the Rings, and now Monster Fighters. Can't say I feel the same about the Star Wars polybags though.

This Ghost polybag is just what the people want. A cheaper way to get a ghost minifigure without having to buy an expensive set.

I think it's the best polybag ever. I love the ghost with its ball and chain, clock is also great. :cry_happy:

Apparently, for those of us in the uk, it'll be in the sun's October giveaway thing with the polybags. Only two I want this time around though, the Uruk hai and the ghost.

I tried to buy a minimum quantity of 10 at Spieletom but that was impossible. I could only buy 1. So I figured .. "let's see if I can add one at a time in my shopping cart/basket". That wouldn't do either. So I assumed the seller sets a limit on ghosts per customer. And indeed by further investigation:

Sie können maximal 3 Einheiten von diesem Produkt erwerben

So .. Spieletom has only 1 polybag left.

Shipment would be 6,99 for me. This makes the polybag uninteresting for me. At least from Spieletom.

Someone who knows where I can find this polybag elsewhere cheap?

If anyone's mad about the Frodo in his Kitchen polybag and has access to one [or three] of these, I could organize a trade... Because Frodo is quite populous, but this Ghost is what I really want.