Sign in to follow this  
sealslip3

Astromech Workplace Contest: Astromech Alcove

Hi all, here's my entry for the Astromech Workplace Contest, titled Astromech Alcove. It’s a MOC of an astromech droid's living quarters inspired heavily by the Disney/Pixar movie Wall-E. I hope you like it!

Deep in the inner workings of the Death Star, R2-L7 returns to his quarters after a long day of work. Behind him, he carries his trusty lunch box, which he uses to salvage any interesting discarded items he happens to find on the Death Star.

7505055644_e05235a3e6_z.jpg

Home at last!

7505055236_f482d7111a_z.jpg

R2-L7 has decorated his room with a string of Christmas lights that he found long ago. He also has an old television, plus a huge computer interface which allows him to monitor his assigned area of the Death Star twenty-four hours a day. On the TV stand sit two of his most prized items, a video tape of his favorite movie and a small plant that he takes great care of.

7505054460_2298a264f0_z.jpg

A shelf on the side of the room holds all of the treasures R2-L7 has found over the course of his years of service. He could use a little more space! Some items of interest include a Rubik's Cube (custom decals), a soccer ball, and even a lightsaber!

7505054852_5980225b33_z.jpg

Uh oh, it looks like there's a problem in Sector 2. R2-L7 goes to his computer interface to diagnose the problem.

7505056890_02ec63d81a_z.jpg

Time to head out for an emergency call! Activate the trapdoor!

7505056026_f5ba73ab13_z.jpg

R2-L7 hops in, into...

7505055950_f98622db3d_z.jpg

His maintenance pod! It’s a small ship that allows for easy space travel between spots on the Death Star. It is held in place underneath R2-R7's home by a set of clamps. It isn't suited for long-distance space travel or combat, but it helps him get the job done!

7505056286_a7539a788d_z.jpg

7505053534_515d4f3615_z.jpg

Anyway, that's my entry, hope you all like it! I think its finished, but I may decide to make some changes in the coming month. My favorite part is the shelf- getting all of those items to balance was quite an effort! Comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.

This really does give the impression of an Astromechs living area.

I like the contrast of the messy and cramped shelving to the clean and crisp floor and computer.

Great little story and build sealslip3. I love the fact that he looks after the plant, give him heart and less robotic. The build does have that Wall-E feel about it. Good luck in the comp! :thumbup:

Very nice, I love that shelf with various 'treasures' on it, nice choice of parts :thumbup: