Sign in to follow this  
SearchFunction

Whats the element design process like?

I was wondering how new elements are created within Lego. When a team of designers are to make a new set I guess they don´t just go into the machining room and create a new mould. So whats it like? I guess for a new element to appear several teams must have been requesting it. Also I suppose there is some sort of evaluation process of weither or not the new element can be used for multiple sets and if its irreplaceble in the situation it is supposed to solve.

Care to elaborate?

national geographic has a series on that (the dog for the police station), from real dog to sculpture, to mold, to LEGO dogs. series is called Mega factories I think.

this is the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SjfIyQoZjc

Interesting find, thanks for sharing!

national geographic has a series on that (the dog for the police station), from real dog to sculpture, to mold, to LEGO dogs. series is called Mega factories I think.

Wow! Fantastic show. So much good stuff. (well except for when they started talking about heir newest, greatest nd most expensiv3 project ever... Lego Universe.... Ummmm? Yeah.... :sceptic: )

It was amazing seeing the factory and the actual molds, and understanding why a new mold costs tens to hundreds of thousands of euros/dollars.

I did actually watch that. It was what sparked my interest. The dog was obviously created solely for that particular set. But how about say a part like 52038 52038.jpg?0

Surely that wasnt modeled in clay first? If I where an executive or something like that at LEGO, I think I would ask the designer who came up with this piece to show me examples of useability that couldnt be done with already existing parts. An aproval phase of some sort. I was wondering if they have that. In the police station set, they knew beforehand that a dog was to be included so a modeler was assigned to the team. Or do they have some kind of yearly conference where suggestions for new parts are discussed? For instance the new inverted bracket - 99780

99780.jpg?2

How did that one come into beeing?