Sebeus I

Astromech Workplace Contest: Space Station maintenance

Prototype is demolished, this is the Final version.

This set depicts part of a spacestation, spacestation need to be controlled and R2-units are perfect for the job, by special passages they have access to most sections of the station. They are monitoring , in other words, riding around and interacting with their scomplinks wherever they can.

dsc07146.jpg

dsc07182.jpg

(Yes, that's a passage shaped as an R2 unit :wink: I think I saw that in Episode 1)

dsc07159.jpg

dsc07119.jpg

This is the only astro-droid I have, it's probably the most boring one you can have :laugh:

dsc07108.jpg

You see those 4 black plates sticking out of the roof ? they are for opening and closing the slide gates which give access to exterior/interior of the station.

R2-units sometimes have duties on the exterior of the station.

dsc07175.jpg

The passage to the left goes to an R2 elevator, the best way to show you how that works would be a video so I'll make one later.

The gate to the right is part of an airlock which goes to the exterior of the station.

dsc07154.jpg

dsc07164.jpg

The dark red track goes from the R2 resting pods through the airlock to the exterior maintenance outskirts.

I was mostly inspired by Episode 1 where the Naboo ship was under attack, I've seen the movie a long time ago and from what I can remember of it there's probably a lot of it that I made up myself without realizing (I do that sometimes :wacko: ).

The movie Wall-E was also a great source of inspiration, I almost cried watching that movie :laugh:

Anyway, I'd love some more astromech droids to go with this set :grin:

Edited by Sebeus I

It looks really great so far. The last pic looks similar to my original idea inside the naboo starship. Those astro docking bays are reminiscent of that scene. :thumbup:

I have to say, this MOC looks absolutely fantastic! I really hope that there will be more of this soon! default_satisfied.gifdefault_satisfied.gif

I am not worthy to compete! default_tong.gif

Wow, I love it already! Being a huge WALL-E fan, the resemblance was instantly recognizable to me! With the droid-shaped hole, the antenna, and the "rail" markings on the floor, it's highly reminiscent of the short film BURN-E. :thumbup:

Brilliant parallel! I look forward to seeing this completed! :sweet:

Wow, I love it already! Being a huge WALL-E fan, the resemblance was instantly recognizable to me! With the droid-shaped hole, the antenna, and the "rail" markings on the floor, it's highly reminiscent of the short film BURN-E. :thumbup:

Brilliant parallel! I look forward to seeing this completed! :sweet:

Yes, burn-E, that's what I saw, thanks for looking that up, it was nice to see it again :classic:

I already started on a better model, in a few days there will be pictures.

You're welcome! I'm always happy to watch it again myself. :grin: For having built this from memory, you did a great job representing the scene! But perhaps you might want to replace the antenna with a flick-fire missile with a blue light bulb to represent the beacon from the short film better. :wink:

Looking forward to the pictures!

Updated, I worked on a grey 48x48 baseplate, weather is terrible so i'll take new pictures later :sceptic:

Update: video with some of the features :wink:

I provided some kind of elevator that allows an R2-unit to jump up to... something :laugh:

Edited by Sebeus I