Mr. Townsend

WIP: Matterhorn

I simply love those galleries! Not really that lowering direction backwards, but the shape is great. I think I might stole have been inspired for finishing my main project's hull.

Can't wait to see all of the weather deck details from the LDD version in real bicks, they're beautiful.

Thanks Matteo! I'm pretty close now to getting the deck completed!

I have an update on Matterhorn, and as promised this update comes with headrails!

15118311856_e310fe98ba_c.jpg

I'm pleased with the way the headrails have turned out. It was quite the project and took me about three days to be satisfied with them. I've learned just how important preflexing the tubes. If you over-bend them and hold them into an extreme version of the shape they will end in they are much more cooperative. I then tied the whole thing up for two days to hold the structure firm. It still wants to explode a bit on the front to to the SNOT design, but will sturdy up with Gammoning in place.

Also in this picture you can see her spare anchor.

15118316346_51d4cbd1c9_c.jpg

In this photo you can see that there is a slight tumblehome in the bow as it connects to the SNOT hull resulting in a smooth transition.

14954770648_1a014dd94a_c.jpg

As advised by Kolonialbeamter I brought the stern inward a stud. He had advised more but it would have made for a weak construction. I also shortened her by two studs to place the aft most gun port closer to the side gallery.

In this picture you can also see the lifestock pen around the bowsprit. Currently there is a chicken calling it home but I plan on BrickLinking some goats. :moar:

14954765908_b5bc606d64_c.jpg

The ship's boats have been added and I've posted a breakdown in DPW's ship's boats thread.

15118321106_e2a69a1d75_c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

The boats are actually based off Dread Pirate Wesley's boats that he placed on Persephone. They are very close to his original design but with a technic beam as the keel and the addition of flooring details. You can see his boats and my breakdown in Ship's Boats Thread.

15140953472_286556817f_c.jpg

The boats are actually based off Dread Pirate Wesley's boats that he placed on Persephone. They are very close to his original design but with a technic beam as the keel and the addition of flooring details. You can see his boats and my breakdown in Ship's Boats Thread.

-snip-

Those are some very nice looking rowboats.

15118326086_eb99f5d773_n.jpg

This is a great idea for a design.

I've had a similar rowboat where the keel technic brick was upside down and tiled on its studs. However, the curved bricks were attached to the tile along the keel.

Well, I don't have much feedback to offer as everything appear to be on its way. You've clearly thought everything through. Your steering wheel looks terrific, I'll try to understand how it's built to get some inspiration for mine pirate_laugh2.gif Apart from that the boats and the tiling on deck have to be my favourite details… Nice job!

I've been deliberating about a reply here for some time, debating if I want to open this can of worms or not. Ultimately I've decided to trust that you'll take my criticism in stride and choose not to take offense. Please do as I mean none.

I want to love this ship, I really do. There is just something, I can't put my finger on that keeps me at arms length. Pinnacle is beautiful and just jumps off the page. Even as a WIP she made an immediate impression. Perhaps it's her color scheme, or long lines, but Matterhorn, at this stage just seems to pale by comparison. Now I do apologize for the sentiment, she's your baby and I know the feeling all too well, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't pipe up at some point. I know I'm one of those who told you to change it but I think I'd actually prefer the wall of white to the current white over red motif. I get that it's all about having a different color inside than out and applaud the innovation. However, I think I'd like to see something to relate the two fields of color to one another or one favored over the other entirely.

I also cant seem to get past those galleris drooping. She looks sad or tired. The construction of the prive its self is great, but the mounting doesnt do the ship or its self any justice. I wonder how necessary the lean of the stern gallery is to the whole if a hard connection to the side galleries is necessary? Could the whole thing be mounted square and level and still maintain the look? 

The head rails look great though. There the white on black really pops. 

Well there it is. Do with it as you will. I'm sure she'll come out just fine and I'll be eating my words. Stick with her, and thanks for sharing.

Well, I don't have much feedback to offer as everything appear to be on its way. You've clearly thought everything through. Your steering wheel looks terrific, I'll try to understand how it's built to get some inspiration for mine :pir-grin: Apart from that the boats and the tiling on deck have to be my favourite details… Nice job!

Thanks Frank! I took a breakdown photo of the wheel. Not only can the One Ring hide you from dragons but it reverses studs too. :dangry:

15228685531_2cb5394d94_c.jpg

I've been deliberating about a reply here for some time, debating if I want to open this can of worms or not. Ultimately I've decided to trust that you'll take my criticism in stride and choose not to take offense. Please do as I mean none.

I want to love this ship, I really do. There is just something, I can't put my finger on that keeps me at arms length. Pinnacle is beautiful and just jumps off the page. Even as a WIP she made an immediate impression. Perhaps it's her color scheme, or long lines, but Matterhorn, at this stage just seems to pale by comparison. Now I do apologize for the sentiment, she's your baby and I know the feeling all too well, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't pipe up at some point. I know I'm one of those who told you to change it but I think I'd actually prefer the wall of white to the current white over red motif. I get that it's all about having a different color inside than out and applaud the innovation. However, I think I'd like to see something to relate the two fields of color to one another or one favored over the other entirely.

I also cant seem to get past those galleris drooping. She looks sad or tired. The construction of the prive its self is great, but the mounting doesnt do the ship or its self any justice. I wonder how necessary the lean of the stern gallery is to the whole if a hard connection to the side galleries is necessary? Could the whole thing be mounted square and level and still maintain the look?

The head rails look great though. There the white on black really pops.

Well there it is. Do with it as you will. I'm sure she'll come out just fine and I'll be eating my words. Stick with her, and thanks for sharing.

I always appreciate your comments Kurigan. I'm adding black netting to the bulwarks and across the waste which I think will break up the white. This also means I'm removing the white fencing across the waste. I was excited with how the netting on Pinnacle's Bowsprit and am adding that style net wherever netting was used.

The galleries may have to change. I built it this way to keep the solid connection but it does lack accuracy. With the stern's structure as it is I can alter it easily and its a detail I plan to leave until last. Not being able to finish Matterhorn's stern on the first build was a main factor in her reconstruction.

A really nice job, though I think the side windows of the cabin are a little bid too much hanging down. A little more horizontal and I'm happy! :wink:

Keep on going with this beauty!

-Eddie pirate_classic.gif

I've made a small amount of progress on Matterhorn over the past few months. With the holidays over I expect to have time to make some real headway on this project.

The Matterhorn has gotten one more color change with a focus on black. The stern will be redone next with a change to the large windows and better angling on the side galleries. You will also notice in this picture the rope railing at the bow.

16001295590_a74fa0f5c6_c.jpg

This picture shows the netting at the waste. Netting continues back through to stern.

15567804033_1388f433be_c.jpg

Focus on black?

Black is not the best lego colour to use as you end up not seeing much in the overall blackness.

But you seem to keep some of the initial white. If that stays the same you will have a nice contrast (and not "overall undistinguishable blackness")

I like the black! I think she's rally starting to look like a proper man-o-war. No longer all flash and pomp but a tough fighting ship take her licks and give better than she receives. Indeed the hammock getting is a fine touch, purism be damed! 

I wonder about the gun port at the waste, will they be staying open? It seems she'd still benefit from flaps there to keep the seas out.

Focus on black?

Black is not the best lego colour to use as you end up not seeing much in the overall blackness.

But you seem to keep some of the initial white. If that stays the same you will have a nice contrast (and not "overall undistinguishable blackness")

I'm certainly going to be keeping an amount of white on her to make sure her lines and details stay visible. This is one of the main reasons I stepped away from all white. The stern galleries however will be purely white. I think the one line from bow to stern will tie the headrails and stern together.

I like the black! I think she's rally starting to look like a proper man-o-war. No longer all flash and pomp but a tough fighting ship take her licks and give better than she receives. Indeed the hammock getting is a fine touch, purism be damed!

I wonder about the gun port at the waste, will they be staying open? It seems she'd still benefit from flaps there to keep the seas out.

Thanks Kurigan. On my reference material there are no ports on the front six guns and I will be keeping to this. This may be because my reference book is based on Pandora when she was on voyage to the Pacific in 1790 during which a wall had been constructed on the gun deck at the start of the quarterdeck. The ports may have been added at this time to make that area enclosed as the officers quarters were moved here. I've seen models of this ship with and without those front ports but I like them lacking for the character of the ship.

On my reference material there are no ports on the front six guns and I will be keeping to this.

I respect and support that. A little character is usually a good thing any way pirate_laugh2.gif

Matterhorn's hull is now very close to complete. She has gotten new side galleries, stern, fighting tops, and channels. I reworked the bow and was pleased to find this piece in my inventory.30099.gifIts hugeness really tied the bricks together making the prow rock solid. I've still got to add all the riding bits and pin rails, Captain Cabin's interior, stern decoration, and a small amount of tiling to get his hull completed.

I plan at current to rig her up to the fighting tops and stop there. I'm sure eventually she will get a full compliment of sail but at the moment I would like to get her presented and move on to a different project.

16970532912_53dc2b227b_c.jpg

Looking better and better thumbup.gif

Once rigged, she'll be a masterpiece!

Kudos on the side galleries. Question, how well do the latticed windows fit into these 2x3 frames? Did you have to cut them like you did on 'Pinnacle'?

Oh, and the water looks like it demanded a significant deal of patience.

Can we expect more pics now or only when finished?

Good luck for the final stage!

Lots of amazing detail on this ship. I think you've done something very unique here - part of the reason we build our own ships is to add our own character and style to the original design elements of TLG's ships, but your design steps out much farther than any design I've yet seen and sort of reinterprets building Lego ships in a way that is highly imaginative and quite visually appealing. Well done, sir! And thank you for sharing.

This is such a brilliant ship, it is great to see that it progresses.

However, I fear by extrapolating your last posts, that we will not hear from you until end of June??

Brick on!

I like the new galleries, it's getting about time to finish this ship pirate_laugh2.gif .

Looking better and better :thumbup:

Once rigged, she'll be a masterpiece!

Kudos on the side galleries. Question, how well do the latticed windows fit into these 2x3 frames? Did you have to cut them like you did on 'Pinnacle'?

Oh, and the water looks like it demanded a significant deal of patience.

Can we expect more pics now or only when finished?

Good luck for the final stage!

Thanks Kolonialbeamter! The latices did indeed have to be shaved a small amount on the sides. You'll likely see one or two more pictures before the end.

Lots of amazing detail on this ship. I think you've done something very unique here - part of the reason we build our own ships is to add our own character and style to the original design elements of TLG's ships, but your design steps out much farther than any design I've yet seen and sort of reinterprets building Lego ships in a way that is highly imaginative and quite visually appealing. Well done, sir! And thank you for sharing.

I'm glad you appreciate all the effort and research that has gone into the project Plaid Beard. I have to thank many of the gentlemen before me for the techniques though I think I refined them a bit.

This is such a brilliant ship, it is great to see that it progresses.

However, I fear by extrapolating your last posts, that we will not hear from you until end of June??

Brick on!

You will hear from me quite before the end of June. I always look at the timelines I put forward and laugh in the end but I'm hoping to have this presentable with a diorama around it within the next month and a half.

Great WIP, will "subsrcibe" on this and steal some ideas :-)

Please feel free. :pir-classic:

I like the new galleries, it's getting about time to finish this ship :pir-grin: .

You're quite right indeed. Very much time to finish the ship. I've been ushered along recently with a new build space and a full sort on my bricks. I've got 30 blocks already strung as well so I don't plan on waiting to start on her rigging.

Oeeh, Mister Townset, you're making me so exited for the final result! It's coming along nicely. I just loved your Pinnacle and her rigging so I'm expecting that the Matterhorn will be even better (I hope pirate_wink.gif ) Hopefully you will do a tutorial on that because I really want to do something alike.

The netting at the waste is a nice Idea, I like how you did that. Though you should note that the netting at the side of the weatherdeck and not on the outside, using my ship knowledge. I can be wrong anyways pirate_classic.gif

Also the bow is just beautiful. Really amazing. I'm so exited when I see her sailing to the horizon. I hope I once get the money to make something like this pirate_laugh2.gif

Regards, Captain Edward

Edited by Captain Edward

Thank you Captain Edward. I do plan to make Matterhorn's rigging more accurate then Pinnacle's. Pinnacle's rigging was made to look correct rather then to actually be correct. I want to make this rigging much more like the rigging Kabel has been doing as of late. I'll try to give some insight on my techniques and procedures for this process.

The netting location does differ slightly between ships. Many would have it above the gunwales as a simple vertical extension. On this ship the gunwales are more of railings with a large amount of open space. With this being the case the netting has to supplement the lack of true protection.

Matterhorn has seen some progress in the last few months. The netting across her gunwales has been completed which was quite the time consuming endeavor. In addition the process of rigging has started and includes chains tied down into the floorboards of the gundeck. I followed Kurigan's example and used wooden dowels down the middle of the masts. The combination of the chains and dowels, which run through the weather deck, gundeck and attach to the the "keel", the masts will be extremely sturdy.

I've also added two more boats to her compliment.

18123643520_a9138b7f15_c.jpg

Here you can view her stern. It is still a WIP.

18284503716_9789b00998_c.jpg

18310935795_45755a462d_c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend