Mr. Townsend

WIP: Matterhorn

I understand the choice of white as being a common colour, but I guess it is just too much white. On the stern we would probably expect some details in other colours as well but I think that it will look even more weird if you change all the whiteness just there - I would keep if that way (perhaps only a black lamp would be better).

As you said yourself the stern still needs some improvements. I actually like the windows as they are. I can however suggest you a precious piece here which I have recently found. 43710.gif This little wedge can build a fantastic transition in the top of the galleries where currently you have the cheese and the red plates.

The bow also looks very nice, though probably the anchors are a bit too rectilineal.

Keep up the good work!!

Wow, she is looking great. I'm a little surprised by the level of detail you've managed to include. Expect a lot of your methods to be copied in the future, even by my self. I wasn't sure about your carronade design before, but seeing them on deck I'm convinced. The pin rail, with cut hoses for belaying pins is great. Was hoping to put something similar on my own Snake, but the scale seems just too small. The new swivel guns are brilliant. Would you be kind enough to show a full break down? I'm sure if you isolate it in a new thread it'll get indexed as well. If I have to take issue with anything on her so far, I find your channels may be a bit short. IMHO they should extend a litter farther away from the hull, so that your shrouds lean at a shallower angle. If everyone in in your head over the color scheme, might I suggest a simple stripe? A solid color, one plate thick, just above the gun line or near the top of the rail would break up the feild of white with out ruining it and still provide that hint of detail which would show off the hull's sheer. Thanks for sharing!

So far it looks magnificent! But way too white into my taste, makes my eyes hurt and makes its almoust impossible to spot any details. Keep it up, Shes becoming a real beaty!

Captain Becker

:classic:

I understand the choice of white as being a common colour, but I guess it is just too much white. On the stern we would probably expect some details in other colours as well but I think that it will look even more weird if you change all the whiteness just there - I would keep if that way (perhaps only a black lamp would be better).

As you said yourself the stern still needs some improvements. I actually like the windows as they are. I can however suggest you a precious piece here which I have recently found. 43710.gif This little wedge can build a fantastic transition in the top of the galleries where currently you have the cheese and the red plates.

The bow also looks very nice, though probably the anchors are a bit too rectilineal.

Keep up the good work!!

That piece does look like a good choice to cover that hole and I'll look into purchasing some. The stern I plan on making in white with red accents on it. I think a small blast of red there will accent the ship well.

As for the anchors I simply haven't bent the flex tube yet. :grin:

Wow, she is looking great. I'm a little surprised by the level of detail you've managed to include. Expect a lot of your methods to be copied in the future, even by my self. I wasn't sure about your carronade design before, but seeing them on deck I'm convinced. The pin rail, with cut hoses for belaying pins is great. Was hoping to put something similar on my own Snake, but the scale seems just too small. The new swivel guns are brilliant. Would you be kind enough to show a full break down? I'm sure if you isolate it in a new thread it'll get indexed as well. If I have to take issue with anything on her so far, I find your channels may be a bit short. IMHO they should extend a litter farther away from the hull, so that your shrouds lean at a shallower angle. If everyone in in your head over the color scheme, might I suggest a simple stripe? A solid color, one plate thick, just above the gun line or near the top of the rail would break up the feild of white with out ruining it and still provide that hint of detail which would show off the hull's sheer. Thanks for sharing!

I really want to pack as much detail into this ship as I possibly can and I'm very proud of the attention I've put into those little details. I'm glad you like how the carronades look as I'm very proud of this design. The swivel is another that I'm especially proud of. My main goal with the swivel was for the barrel to be smaller then the deck guns but larger then rifles, and a Technic pin and bar was the perfect combination. I'll make another thread for it perhaps when I receive my black box wrenches and include a full breakdown. I'll also try to do a breakdown for the carronade when I can.

The pinrails are another detail I quite like. Originally I thought of using black lightsaber hilts but they where much to big. The flex tubes where just a perfect fit there and one of my themes for this ship has been abusing flex tubes. :tongue: I'll also look into the channels. Extending them farther away from the hull may allow me to include the chains below them.

As for the color I plan on making the stern contain her color and think it will be very eye catching. I also have something down the pipeline that will satisfy everyone's taste for color. I think the white will just have to be accepted on this one. :wink:

Edited by Mr. Townsend

The Matterhorn is scheduled for a major overhaul in the near future. Before I start rigging I want to update the Matterhorn with knowledge gained while building this ship and the Godwin-Austin, and the new techniques that have come out, mainly next-gen bow and stern.

The ship has been reworked from the "keel" up. She is now a 24 gun frigate based off the Porcupine class warship build 1776. She will feature twenty-four long guns, eight carronades, and twelve swivel gun. The quarterdeck and forecastle are also no longer connected by the gangways.

My main goals with this remodel are firstly to increase the overall accuracy of the model and secondly to increase the strength of the weather deck and hull above the prefabs.

8718171351_04e2abd7cf_z.jpg

The deck is still removable, though the main and fore masts are now connected directly to the the keel for stability. This being made possible by the snot design of the the channels which can be easily detached with rigging in place. The gundeck can still be removed in small sections to allow viewing of the hold.

8723614885_058d5db8eb_z.jpg

LXF

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=527239

Thanks again to the builders who's techniques and advice have been utilized in the Matterhorn; Perfectionist, CGH, Admiral Croissant, Sebeus I, DPW, Frank Brick Wright, and many others.

Cheers gentlemen,

-W. Townsend

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Holy Father of Legos! That looks incredible! I like especially the captains cabin, though it could use some more decorations from the back dont you think? Though I like that its nice and clean and very simple, but its still a bit lame.

Captain Becker

Well done, the quality of the render is very good too, keep it up

Now this is fantastic :classic: I can't open the lxf file because I'm on a mac, do we get to have a picture of the stern please? :grin:

I love her all the way through. A small idea which I think that can be interesting is this (I'm think about using it on my ship though): if the walls near the captain's cabin (covering the last two guns) are irrelevant to the structure, which is hard to say from the pictures, you could make them modular so that the ship could assume "fighting position", since those walls were usually removed to clear the deck :classic:

Holy Father of Legos! That looks incredible! I like especially the captains cabin, though it could use some more decorations from the back dont you think? Though I like that its nice and clean and very simple, but its still a bit lame.

Captain Becker

Thank you Captain Becker. I agree with you that the stern is lacking a little luster but this is simply do to the limitations of LDD. When it is made in brick it will include more decorations.

Now this is fantastic :classic: I can't open the lxf file because I'm on a mac, do we get to have a picture of the stern please? :grin:

I love her all the way through. A small idea which I think that can be interesting is this (I'm think about using it on my ship though): if the walls near the captain's cabin (covering the last two guns) are irrelevant to the structure, which is hard to say from the pictures, you could make them modular so that the ship could assume "fighting position", since those walls were usually removed to clear the deck :classic:

A picture of the stern for you! :classic:

8754910643_d1b05cca75_z.jpg

I do plan on having those walls removable and in the LDD they are connected to the deck by as few studs as possible. I'm hoping to make the walls thinner and connected differently for easier removal still. I'm also hoping to have little walls for the side gallery hopefully with a sliding door. In the second picture in my previous post you can spy a toilet there. :laugh:

8756032160_27185a3a42_z.jpg

8756032372_b137f9a3f6_z.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

jeepers that will look awesome in bricks! Not sure I like the colour scheme but other than that, this is whicked!

Thanks! I totally understand why you haven't placed many decorations in LDD, but I'd still agree with the others: adding some more colour could make the stern more interesting. If not yellow, at least some dark blue (?). Keep it up!

The hull shape and everything looks great! :thumbup:

I must be honest about the colour scheme though; I don't like it. Just think about the poor sailors that would have to keep the ship that white all the time. :pir_mad: I'd try to just make the middle stripe in white, and make everything else black with yellow and dark blue ornaments on the top side and rear. I've also never seen colour on the outside of the rests, I'd just make these in black, reddish brown or maybe even dark brown. The stern looks still a bit like a WIP to me, the shape is great, but it is a bit plain. The little star is a bit alone, I'd try to make some ornament friends for him in there.

All criticism aside, it is your ship and I wish good luck on your final build!

I'm pretty excited to be digging up this WIP thread again to show you the start of the new Matterhorn.

14238323115_41212456ba_c.jpg

11228109826_f23114ffff_c.jpg

At current I've run out of dark red bricks for the bow and the Next-Gen stern is completely absent. The capstan will not function due to the lack of space below decks. Originally I wanted to run the rope through the technic frame but that would have been too difficult. I may run it in the more conventional manner attached directly to the capstan on the gundeck. The grates will be tan instead of black and at current I have no red bricks to make riding bits, fore riding bits, etc. I also still plan to make the mast portions on the gundeck red but I lack those pieces as well. You can notice in the picture below that the technic axle in the mast goes through the bottom to go into the deck. All the masts are done in this fashion so the project should be very stable. The white pillars are 1x1x5s that run through the deck as well.

14051683388_d7a5183c68_c.jpg

This is what she should look like upon completion.

12785534045_df3cd9d066_c.jpg

Quite a color shift, I like the new color scheme.

I also had those same 1x3x4 doors ordered but I now realized I can't use them on my studded deck pirate_sceptic.gif .

Good luck.

Wow, what a restart! As usually, lots of details, a clean build, colors are very nice. I'm not so fond of the hull so far, though. I think it lacks some vertical curving, and the aft section is a bit wide. With Pinnacle you angled the stern, and she is riding lower in the water, giving her a sleeker, more dynamic apperance. But maybe that's only due to the pictures/perspective. I suggest to simply lower her, and only maybe think about an angled aft section similar to Pinnacle's.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Regards

Wow, what a restart! As usually, lots of details, a clean build, colors are very nice. I'm not so fond of the hull so far, though. I think it lacks some vertical curving, and the aft section is a bit wide. With Pinnacle you angled the stern, and she is riding lower in the water, giving her a sleeker, more dynamic apperance. But maybe that's only due to the pictures/perspective. I suggest to simply lower her, and only maybe think about an angled aft section similar to Pinnacle's.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Regards

Thanks Kolonialbeamter. There is vertical curve on the hull once you get above the base but I do agree that it could use more. Unfortunately I don't think its possible with this technique. The bow section will end up being a completely vertical wall. Aft from there all the walls do angle in though you can't see it too well in the picture. I'm hoping with the weather deck on it won't be too much of a problem.

Pinnacle certainly sits lower, as does DPWs Persephone but this is do to Matterhorn being a frigate. A frigate's gundeck would sit higher in the water then a brig or a 64.

13586671225_48e8387998_z.jpg

Currently the ship is lacking its stern section completely. In this picture of Pinnacle you can see the the stern is made in Perfectionist's Next-Gen style of a large snot section composed of slopes. In the LDD you can see I planned for the bottom of the hull being dark brown and ordered to match. So I'm lacking those pieces as well. The attachment points are on Matterhorn as well as two bars set to reinforce it.

14246956722_a0d173d4d9_m.jpg

Without this section she is about 16 studs too short and so looks stumpy at the moment. Not only are the side galleries missing but another section of hull with gunport as well. This is making her lack that sleek dynamic look. I also think that since this ship is built from the beginning without the prefab it makes her able to have a more accurate width/length ratio which equals to a fatter less streamlined ship.

Now that I'm looking at the two pictures though I'm unsure if I don't want to go dark brown. Thoughts?

Again thanks for the comment and I look forward to your ongoing digital shipyard. I strongly urge you to bite the bullet and pick up one of those books. There is one for Victory as well.

Edited by Mr. Townsend

But Victory is an evil Redcoats' ship... pir_laugh2.gif I'll give it another thought, after all, who am I to argue with a ship expert pirate_wink.gif

Thanks for your explaination, I'm sure she'll be a fine ship once finished. Until then, more WIP pictures please! And I'd say to go with dark brown, like this you'd show a non painted part of the hull, and also because it just looks good on Pinnacle.

Looking forward to seeing more of this,

Regards

I've made a small amount of progress on Matterhorn in the past few days. She now has her next-gen stern and a template of the stern galleries. I think the side galleries work well though stern will need work and decoration. I do plan on keeping the stern section purely white. I've ordered from five different stores in three countries to obtain the white flex tubes necessary for the headrails so expect to see a completed bow in the not too distant future.

14360448238_cbf84aba27_c.jpg

14360451318_85f1c7708e_c.jpg

I'm very happy with the transition from studs on top for SNOT with the Next-Gen stern. I don't have the black 1x1 tiles just yet but you can see that at four studs into the black/white the floor "tiles" get slightly longer. I've also managed to retain a whole in the floor of the side galleries for toilets. Walls and a door will separate those from the great cabin.

14567159943_38de8277f1_c.jpg

14360395070_3af9434948_c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

She's coming together quite nicely, thanks for the update. In particular I really like your way of combining the NextGen stern with the floor 'tiles' in the captain's cabin.

However, I'm still troubled by her stern. I don't know about your reference material, and maybe it's just the way you want it to be, but check out this picture (sorry, it's all I could come up with on the spot). You can see a top-view on the left side showing that the ship's widest point is at its waist, whereas Matterhorn's seems to be further back at the side galleries. I think if you changed that by say narrowing the stern galleries' two studs per side and reshaping Matterhorn's aft section accordingly, you'd end up with a more dynamic look.

Just an idea for a project that will become awesome either way.

Brick on!

Regards,

KB

14360451318_85f1c7708e_c.jpg

There seems to be a discontinuity in the dark brown hull part, that's maybe just temporarely?

I'm looking forward to the headrails, I have a feeling they will look fantastic pirate_classic.gif .

...you'd end up with a more dynamic look.

Exactly, I always move the widest point a bit more to the front (instead of the center of the ship).

She's coming together quite nicely, thanks for the update. In particular I really like your way of combining the NextGen stern with the floor 'tiles' in the captain's cabin.

However, I'm still troubled by her stern. I don't know about your reference material, and maybe it's just the way you want it to be, but check out this picture (sorry, it's all I could come up with on the spot). You can see a top-view on the left side showing that the ship's widest point is at its waist, whereas Matterhorn's seems to be further back at the side galleries. I think if you changed that by say narrowing the stern galleries' two studs per side and reshaping Matterhorn's aft section accordingly, you'd end up with a more dynamic look.

Just an idea for a project that will become awesome either way.

Brick on!

Regards,

KB

You're certainly correct about the stern being too wide. I'll look into adding one last taper at the stern which will bring it in 1 stud and I'll have to find a way to bring the galleries in one further stud. I think that would solve the issue.

There seems to be a discontinuity in the dark brown hull part, that's maybe just temporarely?

I'm looking forward to the headrails, I have a feeling they will look fantastic :pir-classic: .

Exactly, I always move the widest point a bit more to the front (instead of the center of the ship).

The change in the dark brown aft is temporary and due to how many times I had to move the dark brown line to make it work. I had originally wanted to make it a straight five plates tall stem to stern but ended up with problems when it came to the bow due to the lack of dark brown 1x2 plates.

Looks fantastic so far - a ship with a custom hull and with your level of quality will surely take its time.

When do you think you will be finished? pir_wacko.gif

And - maybe I missed some part of the dialog so far - what is the reason for the name "Matterhorn"?

Best of luck for the completion of this great model! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks Captain Braunsfeld!

I'm afraid to make any sort of a timeline for this project or guestimate at a completion time. I can say that I plan on a presentation with diorama for this ship when she has her lower masts rigged. She will likely sit like that for awhile before I tackle the more extreme part of rigging.

Matterhorn takes her name from the mountain, but what brought the name to mind was it is my favorite scent of Oldspice Deodorant. pir_laugh2.gif

I simply love those galleries! Not really that lowering direction backwards, but the shape is great. I think I might stole have been inspired for finishing my main project's hull.

Can't wait to see all of the weather deck details from the LDD version in real bicks, they're beautiful.

Edited by Matteo1130