dalekcann

Modular Madness: The Old Theatre

indexed.gif B-OM-22C

Before I post my entry, may I first just share my gratitude for the Eurobrick staff for changing the entry requirments for this contest. I had the idea for a modualr theatre about a month ago, but due to the large nature of the project kept putting it off and off. When I heard about this entry, however, I knew now was the time to build it, even if it was not a legitimate entry. Now that it is eligible, however, it is a great bonus :D

Anyway, enough waffle. May I present: The Old Theatre!

7462935506_f3dbc954ef_c.jpg

Apologies for the really poor cropping; my setup is not ideal :P Anyway, here is the profile shot of the theatre. I chose a white, dark tan and sand green colour scheme because they complement well and haven't been seen on a modular for a while (I designed this as if it were to be included in the current line.

7462977738_e6be5b155d_c.jpg

Here I've taken the 4 floors apart. In order to resemble the style of Victorian Theatres, it was important to have high ceilings. This meant I quickly ran out of sand green (hence the light blue stripe!). Thematically it helps differentiate the backstage areas from the front of house.

7462887576_265c92a0a8_c.jpg

Here is a shot of the inside of the set (the back wall hinges out for the lower two floors). There wasn't enough room to include all the details I wanted, so the typical fly tower is replaced by some modern lift contraption that goes from the carpenters office down to the stage floor. Infact, talking of running out of room, all the steps and walkways are 3 wide (normally they would be at least 4 on a modular) in order to increase the available floor space and portray a theatre's cramped backstage area.

7462955674_a36abba415_c.jpg

Here's a shot of the figures that would go with the set. No new parts and I tried to use fairly common or new parts. From left to right they are: The Producer; The Actor; The Audience; The Carpenter; The Actress; The Ticket Collector.

Anyway, thanks for having a look at my entry and my ramblings! Please feel free to add any comments as I'm always looking for new ideas, however I will be away for some time so won't be able to make any major adjustments before the deadline (hence why I am a bit early!) Browse the whole gallery of photos at my gallery Good luck to everyone in all the categories and thanks again for such a fantastic contest!

Nice interior and nice exterior with all these statues. :thumbup:

(However, I think you should make the first photo brighter.)

I like this. Great job. In fact, Lego should consider putting a theater in there modular plans for the future. It would compliment the modular series quite well I think. I'm sure everyone has the image of an old time city theater building with the traditional entry with ticket booth and marquee.

Impressive design 'dalekcann', I like the frontage with the different statues on a top. :thumbup:

Good luck and Brick On ! :classic:

Greatly-detailed MOC. :laugh: I like how you incorporated minifigures into the design of the theatre.

That's nicely done. My favourite is the front and its colour scheme - the darks (tan, red and green) go well together with sand green and the statues give an extra touch. The swinging back wall is interesting to see in modulars. The interiors is a bit crammed for my taste, but I guess that's how it is inside big theatres. Good luck in the competition.

Nicely done, I like the dark red shed on the facade, I'm amazed you got both many on the first level, the roof window is a nice though as well. It took me a minute to realize what the lift was :laugh:

I find this one of the most interesting pictures.

I really like the canopies over the windows on the front :thumbup:

The back wall hinging open is a useful feature, the light desk area works well too.

Keep up the good work :classic:

Nice build. It will be good competition for the contest.

I like the color scheme and the tile work on the building itself. The statues are a neat addition.

Did you have to modify any of those statues with brasso or do those elements come in that color?

Nice interior and nice exterior with all these statues. :thumbup:

(However, I think you should make the first photo brighter.)

Love the "Dutch Gables" and rusticated look on some of those buildings... very classic! default_classic.gif

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone! Looking forward to seeing some more entries :)

Did you have to modify any of those statues with brasso or do those elements come in that color?

IIRC, all the legs are plain grey, the torsos are AT-ST driver and Spalko torsos with the arms on backwards. The hairs and hats are grey naturally, and the faces are zombie and Vader heads on backwards. So no modifing here! (apart from moving arms ;) )