lgorlando

MOC: Super City Corner Modular

Greetings fellow builders!

It has been many, MANY, months since I posted on Eurobricks but I am pleased to return with a new project based on the Super Stack Modular building technique I developed on my first project Downtown Metro.

This second Set "5th and Main" is a new Super Stack engineered in a similar way to Downtown Metro but with less material and stronger features.

7412237404_b9dd8572cb.jpg

7434767074_52de5e3a4f.jpg

The base is 4 buildings, 3 formal and 1 core unit in the rear (the core unit is not an actual building but rather a support block). The base units are placed on four 16 x 16 plates with technic bricks that allow for connecting. The two sides buildings are designed symmetrically to connect to the corner unit which is smaller than the other units. These four units serve as the base and since they all have 4 walls, the base is very strong. Due to the technic connection design, the building is easy to disassemble, move and transport as opposed to the original super stack, Downtown Metro, which was one unit built on a 32 x 32 baseplate; dense with bricks and difficult to move.

7412236390_1440d4e30f.jpg

7412236042_dcfa7419b4.jpg

The tower units are all the same proportion and scale. Each are built on 6x16 plates and are all modular from the base to the roof pieces. The only exception is the end tower (the dark orange building) It is 8x6. The key to the towers rising above the skyline is a series of base unites in the rear. The base units are composed of 1x5x6 panel pieces and 1x2x5 bricks. They are conservative, strong and light on parts. They give the Super Stack it's Faux proportions and save on windows and special colors.

7412235966_159752f9c7.jpg

Design Work:

There are some tricks to use when designing a city scene for a super stack:

1) Use strong details for the base and compliment your colors. Complimentary colors are pieces that look good together. e.g. dark red merges with brown merging with tan pulled together by light grey. This gives the city a realistic feel.

2) Use glass, windows and steel color parts for the towers. Keep it simple but repetitive thus you replicate a modern city look. You don't want your eye focused on a really detailed sky scraper which defeats the entire super stack project. Focus the detail on the base level and allow the eye to "travel the rest of the structure".

3) Use a transition tower so that you can merge with your existing Cafe Corner Style buildings. The transition building will contain masonry detail and windows similar to the official line of CC style buildings. This transition is important so that your city is consistent and progressive.

Hope you enjoy (I will add additional photos soon).

Cheers!

EDIT:

Per a request below, here are the two Super Modulars combined. Kind of cluttered since they are both corner units, and massive!

7435522856_6d27fc49db.jpg

Edited by lgorlando

That's a neat concept! Reminds me of a movie set :tongue: What inspired you to build this?

The building(s) look(s) great. I like the concept of a whole block, combined into a huge structure with different architectural styles and colour. Well done! :thumbup:

Can it be combined with Downtown Metro?

I loved your first one and this is even better. I always thought it would be cool to rebuilt all the modulars vertically with walkways and stairs connecting them.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I've praised this on Flickr and I'll repeat it here: I really love the amount of details and the variation you've managed to build into this. All those different colours and building styles, but still it doesn't look cluttered. And my favourite detail is the use of those exhaust pipes as crossbeams. There's no doubt in my mind that you rank among the very best modular builders out there. Keep 'em coming! :)

This is awesome. I too love the concept and might have to try it. I have my own Lego room but my table space is very small which leaves me to only have a small layout.

This concept puts lots of detail and sophistication into a small space which creates an awesome layout. I love it. That is all I can say. :wub:

AWESOME idea you have come up with 'lgorlando', fantastic how they stack together ! :excited:

I like how each building is slightly different yet fits so well together. :classic:

Brick On 'lgorlando' ! :classic:

Your M.O.C. is awsome ! I pay attention to each details, it's so impressive *oh2*

The mix of modern/old buildings looks very convincing (as in a normal town).

Good job "Igorlando" ! :thumbup:

The bottom building being able to split apart is a great improvement over your previous Super Stack :thumbup:

The dark grey crates are a good piece usage :thumbup:

It is obvious you put a lot of time and effort into this and it has surely payed off

Neat builds! Interesting concept for sure. Keep up the good work.

I must say, lgorlando, seeing your stuff on Flickr a few years ago is what inspired me to get into MOCing Modular-esque buildings. That was before I officially get out of my Dark Ages since I was just using LDD at the time.

This one is so close to perfect of what I think a modular lego building should look like!

I Bacame a member just to give this a comment. You really got it spot on :)

Is there anyway you have instructions for this super stack?

Excellent usage of space for a 32x32 footprint. This would be a great model to have for someone who does not have a lot of shelf/countertop space, but is not so much limited in vertical space.