Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Excalibur: Day One

You know, every statement you make makes me wonder if it's not a better idea to lynch you just for the sake of not having the inconvenience of having to wonder if you are kidding or not

I never joke about my job, sir.

I appreciate the internet is hard to interpret. I'll utilise emoticons more, if that helps

If it was, he did not do it very well, because the only emotion I got out of it was confusion and a slight sense of amusement.

All I got was "Everybody's lying and trying to kill me!!!!!", with a " :cry_sad: " at the end for good measure.

But in any case, there's no point arguing about it because:

I failed my essay course during training. And I don't think appealing to emotion is necessarily a scum tactic. Look at our Admiral. he clearly was appealing to emotions when he informed us of what was going on ("Alright you scummy scummers straight from scummy town."). He used facts ("I've given a few of you special abilities to help you out."), but used them to help his point be gotten across. So even our Admiral is not alone in appeals.

So you admit that it was Appeal to Emotion?

I never said it was a scummy tactic; I said that, in my experience, it's often used by Scum. But, if you say you used it to convey some facts, let's look at the 'facts' you presented:

• There might be Scum defending you.
  • There might Scum lying in this situation.
  • There might be Scum trying to kill you.

All you did was list some obvious possibilities.

I hardly think that encouraging people to calm down is a sign of guilt - if I were not a Loyalist, why would I be requesting that we look at facts? Surely then I would be caught out, if I were the guilty man.

We never said that your telling people to calm down was suspicious. We suspect you because you want us to do nothing. There's a difference between being calm and doing nothing.

Yeah, this "noobish" thing has me confused as well. And well, glad to know I have one enemy. For you sir, I still have not seen true evidence that points to you being scum, just conjecture as well. Be happy to know that when voting comes, right now you don't have my vote. I'm leaning more towards Wright, listening to what everyone is saying, but even then I'm not sure.

So...we...should be happy that you're not defending yourself using what could be considered a type of Chainsaw Defense?

I failed my essay course during training. And I don't think appealing to emotion is necessarily a scum tactic. Look at our Admiral. he clearly was appealing to emotions when he informed us of what was going on ("Alright you scummy scummers straight from scummy town."). He used facts ("I've given a few of you special abilities to help you out."), but used them to help his point be gotten across. So even our Admiral is not alone in appeals.

Huh? This doesn't make any sense. At all. The Admiral is not even a PC suspect. And when did he appeal to our emotions? And what have facts to do with that?

Yeah, this "noobish" thing has me confused as well. And well, glad to know I have one enemy. For you sir, I still have not seen true evidence that points to you being scum, just conjecture as well. Be happy to know that when voting comes, right now you don't have my vote. I'm leaning more towards Wright, listening to what everyone is saying, but even then I'm not sure.

Well, you confuse me all the time. You're glad you've got an enemy? And you don't even make an accusation against Wright other than "What everyone is saying", but you'd vote for him, because it would save your megablocks? That's incredibly scummy. As is Lieutenant Daly trying to distract from you.

And what have facts to do with that?

I think he's arguing that he used Appeal to Emotion as a rhetorical device (pathos) rather than to defend himself with a logical fallacy.

Huh? This doesn't make any sense. At all. The Admiral is not even a PC suspect. And when did he appeal to our emotions? And what have facts to do with that?

I believe he was pointing out that appealing to emotions is not necessarily a a scummy tactic if our Admiral uses it, but McAndrews has already explained why this is not exactly a great example.

Based on the fact that that was the first thing you've said all day, I'm going to assume that that was the "show up and say something useless so that I don't appear inactive" post.

Yes it was. How clever of you to notice :sweet: And you weren't the only one, it seems that Robbins here took my request seriously! (this is a moment where I wish I had Hinck's raised eyebrow emoticon)

And Lt. Wright, I think we'd all appreciate it if you'd try to use more facial expressions to help us understand what your true intentions are - we wouldn't be wanting to vote you out, and then make me do all the laundry now would we? :laugh:

And Lt. Wright, I think we'd all appreciate it if you'd try to use more facial expressions to help us understand what your true intentions are - we wouldn't be wanting to vote you out, and then make me do all the laundry now would we? :laugh:[/color]

Point taken, Suzy. :thumbup: Speaking of laundry, any ideas how we're going to get these nasty blood stains out of the late Captain's jumpsuit? :sceptic:

I hardly think that encouraging people to calm down is a sign of guilt - if I were not a Loyalist, why would I be requesting that we look at facts? Surely then I would be caught out, if I were the guilty man.

Which I am most certainly not.

I'm just worried that we make a mistake - you are right, this is life and death, in which case we'd best make sure we're right in our actions, because the consequences of failure are very, very permanent.

As had been said earlier, I think his roundabout way of claiming that he's a loyalist, and the fact that he even has to claim it, seems to me to be a scummy action. Also, the circular reasoning of "I'm a Loyalist because I want the facts checked, and by checking the facts, that makes me a Loyalist". :wacko:

I'm not sure you understand why I'm suspicious of him. It's not that he knows much, it's that he jumps to unnatural conclusions from unrelated talk (his talk about a vig makes me wonder if he is a member of the third party trying to avoid suspicion by sounding ignorant, or a member of the Purists trying to get a reaction from the vig, and hinder our attempts to piece things together.)

As to my claim about there being a vig, this is what made me feel that there may be one:

1. Each player will be given a character to play, who will be aligned with either the Loyalists or the League of Purists. To win the game, the Loyalists must vote or kill off all the League of Purists, while the League of Purists need to outnumber the Loyalists. Additionally, keep on the look out for other factions.

As had been said earlier, I think his roundabout way of claiming that he's a loyalist, and the fact that he even has to claim it, seems to me to be a scummy action. Also, the circular reasoning of "I'm a Loyalist because I want the facts checked, and by checking the facts, that makes me a Loyalist". :wacko:

Perhaps I didn't explain it fully. I was in a rush to perform my nursing duties, so excuse me.

What I meant was that if I were scum, why would I be pushing for everybody to calm down and stick to what we know, when it would be best if everybody else kept on throwing around accusations and pointing the finger at other people, thus drawing the attention away?

I want to make sure we don't make a fatal mistake here and wrongly vote off one of the crew. With the possibility of there being scum within our ranks it's important to remain cautious at all times.

As to my claim about there being a vig, this is what made me feel that there may be one:

Vigilante is a Town Role, while Serial Killer is neutral... I'm pretty sure this was already said. :look:

Perhaps I didn't explain it fully. I was in a rush to perform my nursing duties, so excuse me.

What I meant was that if I were scum, why would I be pushing for everybody to calm down and stick to what we know, when it would be best if everybody else kept on throwing around accusations and pointing the finger at other people, thus drawing the attention away?

I want to make sure we don't make a fatal mistake here and wrongly vote off one of the crew. With the possibility of there being scum within our ranks it's important to remain cautious at all times.

Ah, that makes more sense. While it does seem unlikely that a scum would encourage the Town to slow down and think rationally, that could still be used to their advantage by keeping the spotlight off of them, and keepng them from being lynched the first day. Although, I do agree that we ave to make 100% sure that we lynch the right person on the first night. It may not be MYLO yet, but it still gives the Town a major advantage if they kill a mafioso on the first night. :wink:

Vigilante is a Town Role, while Serial Killer is neutral... I'm pretty sure this was already said. :look:

What do you mean by that? He simply says that the wording: blah blah The Town must Vote Or kill off all the Scum blah blah, means that we might have a Vig. I think it certainly looks that way, although another possibility is that there is a SK and a Shrink. Not that this information is going to be helpful at all at this point, but there you go.

Yes it was. How clever of you to notice :sweet: [/size]

I'm assuming that that second sentence was a joke. Not sure about the first. In any case, saying something for the sake of saying something is an obvious attempt to try to look like an active Townie, and true Townies don't need to try to look like Townies.

Because pushing for everyone to calm down is an easy way to look helpful because you are actually helping the Town, but at the same time not actually contribute anything to whatever discussion was going on.

Yeah, I know that a Vig is a Town role, which is why I pointed out that the rules said that the Town must vote OR kill off the mafia. If there IS a vigilante, it would be good for them to try and find and contact the doctor (assuming there is one), because it would mean TWO Town kills a day, instaed of one. :thumbup:

What do you mean by that? He simply says that the wording: blah blah The Town must Vote Or kill off all the Scum blah blah, means that we might have a Vig. I think it certainly looks that way, although another possibility is that there is a SK and a Shrink. Not that this information is going to be helpful at all at this point, but there you go.

Agreed, it's completely useless at this point, but it may be usefull down the line, which is why I pointed it out. :sweet:

I agree with the others. Mandel is starting to scare me, and not much scares me... well, except for that alien I found when I was scrubbing the toilets. What was that thing? *huh*

Ummm...when I originally posted the "janitor" thing, I was just saying that it would be interesting if you really had gotten the role, but you've really been acting suspicious in a whole lot of these posts. Here, for example, it seems like you're trying to get suspicions turned to someone else. I also don't see why the Purists would kill you at night. The Purists, whether you are among them or not, would probably love to keep you alive as you've been looking awfully scummy and are a potential lynch candidate. :hmpf_bad:

Ah, that makes more sense. While it does seem unlikely that a scum would encourage the Town to slow down and think rationally, that could still be used to their advantage by keeping the spotlight off of them, and keepng them from being lynched the first day. Although, I do agree that we ave to make 100% sure that we lynch the right person on the first night. It may not be MYLO yet, but it still gives the Town a major advantage if they kill a mafioso on the first night. :wink:

Why is it unlikely that the scum would encourage the town to keep rational? It's a good way to say something and look helpful to sheep without helping at all.

And we can't be 100% sure that we lynch scum, if we could, why would most Day One's and with a townie lynched? We can aspire to be as sure as possible, but 100% is impossible.

Sounds like you just wanted to say something and didn't even bother as to what. Please think first next time :hmpf_bad:

Ensign Robbins bothered to send me a private message he recorded:

Alright, I know I'm making a stretch in contacting you, especially since you've accused me, but I can assure you I am innocent. I'm starting to worry about AwesomeStar a little, but nobody has really pinged my radar. I know I've made some pretty stupid comments, but that's only because I try to analyze things from my opponents' standpoint.

And my response:

I hope you realize how far fetched that actually sounds. You immediatly wanting to try and shift direction to someone else does not help reall either. You will have to do better than that, if you want to convince me of your innocense.

Make of it what you will.

I'm leaning more towards Wright, listening to what everyone is saying, but even then I'm not sure.

And like the dude with the scummy hairstyle said, this comment is just *huh*

And once again I agree with the Mr. Scummy Hair that we can never ever be 100% sure of our lynch candidate. Not even if a "cop" tells us so.

Why is it unlikely that the scum would encourage the town to keep rational? It's a good way to say something and look helpful to sheep without helping at all.

And we can't be 100% sure that we lynch scum, if we could, why would most Day One's and with a townie lynched? We can aspire to be as sure as possible, but 100% is impossible.

Sounds like you just wanted to say something and didn't even bother as to what. Please think first next time :hmpf_bad:

Alright. I've just had a few metagame experinces where the Scum flew well under the Town's radar, and mas an amazing mastermind that seemed like an active townie, but was really cuddling up with us to get us to feed them information. There's a possibility of that happening again. :sceptic:

I find it odd also that Robbins always seems to be jumping on the person who is a little bit under fire alongside him. First Mandel, then Wright. :sceptic:

I find it odd also that Robbins always seems to be jumping on the person who is a little bit under fire alongside him. First Mandel, then Wright. :sceptic:

I beleive that is called a "Chainsaw defense", as Brickdoctor pointed out. It's noted as a scumtell, but only 100% certiant when one of the targets turns out to be scum. :sceptic:

Well, it seems we have a general idea which direction today's going in. You've been screwing around far too much for my tastes, Robbins. Wheeler's just stuck an extra couple nails in your coffin as well with that last statement. A couple of folk are being put under suspicion here, but your behavior by far's been the most erratic, to me. I feel like I'm jumping on the obvious lynch candidate (how you people can do so much during one nap I'll never know) but god...

Are you freaking serious? :facepalm:

Blimey, now that you mention it I see what you mean. That, coupled with the private message, certainly marks Robbins as suspicious in my eyes.

Well this is a problem for me. Is it bad that I jump on a person who is also accused while I am too? Would none of you do the same? It's a self-defense mechanism, shift proposed blame away. I'm no scum, I swear. My behavior's erratic, but it's true. I realize that I probably won't change anybody's opinions, but I'm telling you the truth.

Don't try to slip under the radar by siding against Robbins, Wright. You are very suspicious yourself, but not to Robbins' degree...yet. I don't particularly fancy the way you're jumping on him now, but I do think I understand it. Nevertheless, if we lynch him and he turns up town, you're moving more than a few notches up my scumlist.

...oh, wait a minute, you're in second place already. :look: