AllanSmith

Modular Madness: Japanese Restaurant

indexed.gif B-OM-23D

I have built a Japanese Restaurant for the Modular Madness competition.

Ground floor has wooden floor, kitchen with servery for waiters and for takeaway clients.

Lanterns on wall and large Japanese flag. Large windows with door to outside seating.

Upstairs has large windows for light, pictures and lanterns on wall.

Front view:

jap001.jpg

Rear view:

jap003.jpg

See post #19 for more photos.

Edited by Phred

Great use of the crates in the walls :thumbup:

The only thing I'm not liking is the roof, maybe you could tile it?

The front of the restaurant looks great, and I'm sure the interior will be impressive as well :classic:

Very nice, I'm looking forward to some more interior :thumbup:

This is looking great. I really love the red with the brown crates on the facade. The tiled interior is also excellent. I can't wait to see it finished. :classic:

Nice little build. It will be good to see the final product. It is amazing sometimes how different the initial WIP and the final build can be.

I considered doing a Japanese restaurant since getting some of the Ninjago buildings, but I didn't consider it for this contest.

Keep up the good work.

Oooooh I love this MOC and I love sushi too! :tongue:

The building technique is perfect, I like the use of crates to make the columns!

The plant in the main room is just perfect! :wub:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

The only thing I'm not liking is the roof, maybe you could tile it?

As I said, It is a work in progress. The roof was made with what parts I had avaliable in our one bedroom apartment in Wellington.

In Napier, were I am going today, I have a storage unit (the size of a 1 1/2 car garage full of LEGO. So hopefully I can find some roof bricks.

This is looking great. I really love the red with the brown crates on the facade. The tiled interior is also excellent. I can't wait to see it finished. :classic:

The brown crates and the brown tiles (to look like wooden floor boards) came from lots and lots of 8401 City Mini-Figure Collection sets I bought for spare parts.

I like the banners out front, but don't like that they are off-center. Maybe you can use a solution like a 1x1 brick or plate with a clip attached to a 1x1 brick with a stud on one side to center them on the poles. Or a brick with two studs on he side and a claw arm that attaches to the pole with the other end going through the brick.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I like the banners out front, but don't like that they are off-center. Maybe you can use a solution like a 1x1 brick or plate with a clip attached to a 1x1 brick with a stud on one side to center them on the poles. Or a brick with two studs on he side and a claw arm that attaches to the pole with the other end going through the brick.

In my mind, there were flags blowing in the wind, that was why I had angled them.

In my mind, there were flags blowing in the wind, that was why I had angled them.

stock-illustration-14764841-roman-symbols.jpg

I was thinking that if the banners were done like roman legion flags they could be angled while in the wind, but still hang properly when there was none.

http://www.patchesofpride.com/pages2/offtowarbanners.html

I apoligize if the war slogans on these japanese banners offend anyone, I'm only linking for example.

I was thinking that if the banners were done like roman legion flags they could be angled while in the wind, but still hang properly when there was none.

I see what you mean. I have put a headlight brick on its back on the pole and attached the tile to what was the top stud.

Will update photos once my Bricklink order arrives.

Finished Japanese Restaurant

Front view:

jap001.jpg

jap002.jpg

Rear view:

jap003.jpg

jap004.jpg

Inside ground floor:

jap005.jpg

jap006.jpg

jap007.jpg

jap008.jpg

Inside first floor:

jap009.jpg

jap010.jpg

jap011.jpg

Enjoy :)

Very nice, great interior, my only possible complaint would be the back where the tables and chairs are on a plain green baseplate.

I can imagine a wooden terrace would look ideal here :wink:

Very nice, great interior, my only possible complaint would be the back where the tables and chairs are on a plain green baseplate.

I can imagine a wooden terrace would look ideal here :wink:

I agree. The front of the building is very inviting but the rear looks unfinished.

It's beautiful, but, as stated before, the back needs to be refurnished. If you are willing to add a larger back area, I suggest putting a wooden deck surrounded by trees like these and maybe a walkway like this or this. These are just ideas, so use them as you will.

He can't increase the size of the back because it has to stay within the baseplate, but he can increase the details.

Thanks for comments. Probably go for a paved area as the inside already has a wooden floor.

All of the LEGO modulars have a plain rear area. :wink: