Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #36: The Voracious Vault

Imstz.png

Come the first rays of morning, a chariot screeches to a halt outside the hall. Out of the chariot steps Ayla Commerz, their quest assigner and chauffeur.

snbk2.png

"Have you gathered your things, heroes? If yes, come along, come along. If not, please gear up as fast as humanly possible. Every second wasted could be another one of those blasted beasts hatching..."

Ayla leads the four chosen heroes to a rather ritzy chariot, complete the leather seats, a bottle of wine, and a basket of ripe fruit. These four chosen heroes were:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mp1tm.jpg

Erik Tyrvarr, Level 5 Barbarian. Male Human, 18 years old. (Played by Myrrdn)

Power: 14

Health: 12/12

Gold: 7

Inventory: Spear (WP9), Axe (WP3), Potion x4, Mead, Remedy

HUfbM.jpg

Daxus Octavian, Level 6 Rogue. Male Human, 23 years old. (Played by LEGOman273

Power: 13

Health: 12/12

Gold: 2

Inventory: Draken's Fire (WP: 7), Raider Crossbow (WP: 5)(Ice), Belt, Bedroll, Shovel, Potion (3x), Venom (3x), Grand Potion (1x), Mead (1x), Smoke Bomb (1x), Holy Bomb (1x)

AAvjC.png

Monk Pretzel, Level 5 Cleric. 463-year-old male "hermit". (Played by Palathadric)*Party Leader!*

Power: 10

Health: 15/15(+1,+1)

Ether: 9/9

Gold: 64

Inventory: Cross (=Nimbus Broomstick) (WP: 5), Viking Helmet, Arm-Mounted Shield, Potion (x2), Tonic, Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Shovel, Bedroll,

vTSez.jpg

Mizuki Kimura, Level 5 Rogue. 21 years old female human. (Played by Zakura)

Health: 11/11

Gold:0

Inventory: Dagger (WP: 9)envenomed, Potion x3, Venom, Bedroll, Smoke Bomb, Grand Potion, Shovel, Pick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going inside the chariot, the four heroes get themselves comfortable. When they look settled in, Ayla cracks the harness and causes the horse pulling the chariot to run at a breakneck pace! The heroes hold onto their seats.

snbk2.png

"I apologize about this, heroes, but I want to get out of here soon so any of those Coyote Gang freaks or whatever moniker they go by don't even get a chance to loot me."

After leaving the borders of Eubric, Ayla slows down and turns to the heroes.

snbk2.png

"Gonna be a few hours until we reach Luosh. If you have any questions, now would be a good time to ask."

QM NOTE: thank you all for signing up! Please make sure all the stats are correct. Palathadirc, what does the arm-mounted shield do, and what is the explanation behind the (+1, +1) in front of your health? I couldn't find the shield in the treasury, sorry. :blush:

Edited by Endgame

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Commerz. We just have to go in and kill everything that moves, right? Sounds like a nice change from my last quest. But why do you need us? Yours sounds like a rather wealthy family, I'd have thought you'd need to employ some guards - why couldn't they do the job?"

OOC: Stats are good. I believe the arm-mounted shield, and the Viking helmet, simply give +1 to health each. Which also explains the +1 +1(base health=13, +1+1=15).

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Commerz. We just have to go in and kill everything that moves, right? Sounds like a nice change from my last quest. But why do you need us? Yours sounds like a rather wealthy family, I'd have thought you'd need to employ some guards - why couldn't they do the job?"

OOC: Stats are good. I believe the arm-mounted shield, and the Viking helmet, simply give +1 to health each. Which also explains the +1 +1(base health=13, +1+1=15).

snbk2.png

"Almost everything, yes. My father kept 3 pet spiders in the vault who were free to scurry around and do whatever. If you see them, please don't squash them. I'd hate for my father's memory to be tarnished like that. Everything else I want either out or exterminated."

Ayla's usually neutral expression turns to a sad one.

"Yes, I am wealthy. Emphasis on "I" - I'm the last of the Commerz bloodline. Commerz tradition states that the eldest Commerz gets the combination to the secret vault. I'm the only one left, so it went to me by default."

"I have to keep the vault's location a secret. Thus, no outsiders, no guards, not even any family friends. I was a little apprehensive of hiring Heroica at first, but you seem like a nice bunch."

QM note: Ah, thanks. That makes sense.

Edited by Endgame

"Ugh, spiders. :sick:

Do you know what is infesting the vault? Could it be the pet spiders?"

OOC: Stats look good. :thumbup:

Edited by LEGOman273

Does this vault have any magical cookies inside ? That reminds me, I got some cookies in my bag from a bakery in Eubric. Would anyone like one?

Does this vault have any magical cookies inside ? That reminds me, I got some cookies in my bag from a bakery in Eubric. Would anyone like one?

"What type of cookies?"

"Ah, of course. Silly me, I forgot it said that the vault was a secret on your note. The beasts in the vault aren't spiders, are they? I don't want to get them confused with your fathers pet spiders. Do you want the spiders brought out, or just left where they are?

And there isn't anything else fragile in the vault, is there? In case we need to remove the spiders and then flood the vault, or something?"

"Ooh, Cookies. Yes please!"

"Ugh, spiders. :sick:

Do you know what is infesting the vault? Could it be the pet spiders?"

snbk2.png

"The pet spiders are tame, Daxus. They're no bigger then the palm of your hand. What did father call them? Morxes, Lyrol, and Widow, I believe...?"

"And no, what attacked me in the vault was most certainly not a spider. It was called a Progg, according to a bestiary I purchased the day after I tried to peek at the vault's contents. It's some sort of hellish cross between a crab, scorpion, and a mollusk. I drew a picture of one at the office.

A Progg's newborn can kill the average civilian. I required the assistance of a cleric for a reason."

"On to the magical cookie subject, I really don't know. I've only been in there for about 30 seconds. My bloodline were fairly eccentric collectors though, so you never know."

"I don't want the vault damaged. It's pratically museum of my family history!"

Edited by Endgame

snbk2.png

"The pet spiders are tame, Daxus. They're o bigger then the palm of your hand. What did father call them? Morxes, Lyrol, and Widow, I believe...?"

"And no, what attacked me in the vault was most certainly not a spider. It was called a Progg, according to a bestiary I purchased the day after I tried to peek at the vault's contents. It's some sort of hellish cross between a crab, scorpion, and a mollusk. I drew a picture of one at the office.

A Progg's newborn can kill the average civilian. I required the assistance of a cleric for a reason."

"Um. . .ok. :sceptic: What class of creature is a Progg? Beast, I know, but is it also Demonic perhaps?"

"Um. . .ok. :sceptic: What class of creature is a Progg? Beast, I know, but is it also Demonic perhaps?"

snbk2.png

"I believe it's classified as a Nocturnal Beast. Weak to Light and Fire, but resistant to Ice and Darkness."

snbk2.png

"I believe it's classified as a Nocturnal Beast. Weak to Light and Fire, but resistant to Ice and Darkness."

"Can it be harmed by physical attacks?"

"Can it be harmed by physical attacks?"

snbk2.png

"It's not undead, so I'd say yes. Some of them have rather thick shells that will take some sting out of your attacks, though."

Edited by Endgame

"How many Progg - or Proggs - do you think are in the vault?"

snbk2.png

"I have no clue. I can't even give a rough estimate, but I can tell you this: they WILL put your skills to the test."

"Greetings, all, glad to be here, but can't say I'm glad to be here with you all. But nevermind all that. I am rather busy, so just tell me when I get there. As party leader, I would like to have all of your names and occupations, and to know the contents of your purses as well. So out with it." I pull out a scroll and, as the chariot thunders along, prepare to write.

"Greetings, all, glad to be here, but can't say I'm glad to be here with you all. But nevermind all that. I am rather busy, so just tell me when I get there. As party leader, I would like to have all of your names and occupations, and to know the contents of your purses as well. So out with it." I pull out a scroll and, as the chariot thunders along, prepare to write.

QM note: Pretzel's updated inventory:

AAvjC.png

Monk Pretzel, Level 5 Cleric. 463-year-old male "hermit". (Played by Palathadric)*Party Leader!*

Health: 15/15(+1,+1)

Ether: 9/9

Gold: 14

Inventory: Cross (=Nimbus Broomstick) (WP: 5), Viking Helmet, Arm-Mounted Shield, Fire Bomb (x2)Potion (x2), Tonic (x3), Phoenix Essence, Remedy, Shovel, Bedroll,

----------------------------------------------------------

As the chariot chugs along through Luosh, Ayla recounts how the Progg's assaulted her.

snbk2.png

"...was being held up by the feet, upside-down, and surrounded by the ravenous monsters when suddenly a holy bomb went off, spooking them away. I still have no idea who set off that bomb and why."

As she finishes to that sentence, the chariot slows and stops in front of a large ornate building crafted from green marble and sturdy oak. It's imposing frame dwarfed the chariot. The structure was none other then the Bank of Commerz.

MorKX.png

All of the passengers step out of their ritzy ride and towards the huge bank. Ayla stops to look into the large fountain near the bank's entrance. Little stone figures dot the fountains' perimeter, as if guarding it.

Un7iG.png

snbk2.png

"For some odd reason, people have been using this fountain as a wishing well. Believe it or not, most of your reward is coming from the fountain."

Ayla lets out a sorrowful sigh.

"But any profit I turn becomes bittersweet when I think of what's happening to my heritage. Come, heroes, I'll lead you to my office."

Ayla leads the group in the bank and up a winding spiral staircase, leading to her top-floor office.

cXdRx.png

snbk2.png

"Sorry, I haven't been able to tidy up this office lately. :blush: Here's that picture I promised you, by the by:

glZuQ.jpg

"My penmanship is far better then my art skills. :blush:"

Does the party have any more questions for Ayla, or shall they embark to the vault?

Edited by Endgame

"A few things:

How much do you know about the vault and its contents?

Could your family have known about the Progg(s) and set the bomb(s?) to keep the Progg(s) contained?

What is the plural of Progg?"

"A few things:

How much do you know about the vault and its contents?

Could your family have known about the Progg(s) and set the bomb(s?) to keep the Progg(s) contained?

What is the plural of Progg?"

snbk2.png

"Not much about the contents itself, but I do know a lot about my family tree. My grandfather was a demolitionist, my aunt an artist, my uncle a brewer, my cousin a mage and my grandmother a gardener - those are the 5 Commerzes that stand out in my memory. Whoever got that bomb probably looted it from one of my grandfather's treasure trunks."

"To put it bluntly, Mr. Octavian, all of my family is dead. So no."

"The plural of Progg is Proggs."

"Treasure trunks?"

snbk2.png

"Treasure chests, rather."

Edited by Endgame

"That's not what I meant. I was simply asking 'what treasure chests?'."

snbk2.png

"Ah. The vault is essentially just a huge storage network for my family - the treasure chests would be in someplace in the vault. I know they'd be in there someplace, but because I've never been in there for more then a minute, I don't know the exact location."

Edited by Endgame

snbk2.png

"Ah. The vault is essentially just a huge storage network for my family - the treasure chests would be in someplace in the vault. I know they'd be in there someplace, but because I've never been in there for more then a minute, I don't know the exact location."

"Who (aside from you) was the last to have access to the vault?"

"Who (aside from you) was the last to have access to the vault?"

snbk2.png

"My father. If you're insinuating someone else could've got in, I highly, HIGHLY doubt it. It is a 64 digit combination.

Edited by Endgame

"My father. If you're insinuating someone else could've got in, I highly, HIGHLY doubt it. It is a 64 digit combination.

"So obviously somone in your family knew about the Proggs, or else the Holy Bomb would not have been planted."