rebelego

MOC: NSB 7a 11 - with Light, Sound & Smoke

nsb7a11_01.jpg

Model of Norwegian steam engine NSB type 7a number 11.

Equipped with a LokSound v4 decoder, some warm white LEDs and a Seuthe nr 99 smoke generator.

To get some more juice an AnyVolt Micro is used to lift the voltage from 9V to 11,5V for the smoke generator.

All powered and controlled by an RCX 1.0 with LDCC firmware.

The original was built in UK in 1892, worked as shunting engine in Oslo, outranged in 1964 and restored during the 1980s.

Currently at the railway museum, Krøderbanen.

7a-11_01-m.jpg

(Edit: Replaced first image with link.)

Edited by rebelego

Rebelego: let me be the first to congratulate you on a splendid MOC (and welcome to EB). The real appreciation of this little steam locomotive/train is watching it venture through your woodland setting with smoke and sound. In Anaheim/Buena Park California right down the road from Knotts Berry Farm is a McDonalds that has had a woodland G-scale train. It's been there for many years (I'm talking like 20+). I always enjoyed going in and watching the train pass through the woodland scenery. This train reminds me of the experience. I'd really like to see your entire layout that really adds to your wonderful little steam train. Nice job and I love the music. The band at the end is a neat little surprise. :thumbup:

WOW! I love this train! Mostly because I made a "jinty" in LDD and really like steam trains. I really like how you put all these features and packed it into this tiny little loco! I would love to see a much bigger engine with all these features in the future!

Rail Co

I'm blown away, a smoke blowing Lego engine....totally AWESOME 'rebelego' ! :excited:

Seriously I must look into the smoke blown mechanism for a MOC I might plan for next years train show in my area. :wink:

Brick On 'rebelego' ! :classic:

Thanks.

... I'd really like to see your entire layout that really adds to your wonderful little steam train. Nice job and I love the music. The band at the end is a neat little surprise. :thumbup:

The "layout" is just a small scene put together just for the photo and video shooting of this model. :classic: Though, I'm working on a new big layout in the same style.

Music: Onkel Tuka - "PĂĄ den andre siden av fjorden" ("On the other side of the fjord").

... I really like how you put all these features and packed it into this tiny little loco! I would love to see a much bigger engine with all these features in the future!

I have two other engines with sound and smoke, one is an Emerald Night mod. Plenty of space in large engines, thus the EN solution is a little bit different. A larger smoke generator, Seuthe nr 6, is powered by a 11,1V Li-Po battery. EN also have six mini magnets and a reedswitch to sync the sound with the wheels. Guess I have to get some images and make another tread. :sweet:

BTW: A newbie question... How does this 100k upload quota limitation work? Is it pr day or week or anything? Or have I spent my EB upload quota for ever? *huh*

Just wanted to say great work. You captured the look of the real train really well. And the background (the trees and stuff) is really good too!

This is a nice little train! I like it very much. Great idea to put sound and steam into a LEGO train. And I really like the landscape.

great job indeed!!! I like both the loc and the functions very much!

Thanks.

The "layout" is just a small scene put together just for the photo and video shooting of this model. :classic: Though, I'm working on a new big layout in the same style.

Music: Onkel Tuka - "PĂĄ den andre siden av fjorden" ("On the other side of the fjord").

I have two other engines with sound and smoke, one is an Emerald Night mod. Plenty of space in large engines, thus the EN solution is a little bit different. A larger smoke generator, Seuthe nr 6, is powered by a 11,1V Li-Po battery. EN also have six mini magnets and a reedswitch to sync the sound with the wheels. Guess I have to get some images and make another tread. :sweet:

BTW: A newbie question... How does this 100k upload quota limitation work? Is it pr day or week or anything? Or have I spent my EB upload quota for ever? *huh*

The qouta (I had trouble too) you have to delete pic from old unused threads to free up room. So I guess it is there forever...

Rail Co

It is forever, EB is not really wanting to be a picture hosting site, since good free ones already exist. Most people deeplink photos from Flickr of Brickshelf. If you read the tutorials (most mods have them linked in their sigs) you'll find what you need to know.

Sir:

Thank you for sharing this great creation. Would you be able to add further details about how you added sound? I have tried to look into that a bit but I thought that the voltage might ultimately be too low.

Thanks much, Steve.

That forest is pretty good and I'd love to have something like that for my layout. The little engine is also superb. The sound and steam just add to it. I am guessing it is not PF as I can not see the battery anywhere? But a very nice little shunter all the same. Thanks for showing us the video.

... Would you be able to add further details about how you added sound? I have tried to look into that a bit but I thought that the voltage might ultimately be too low.

Well, if you are not familiar with LDCC, read Mark Riley's page about it. I use the 1.05 beta version. Also read Tom Cook's page on DCC. He describes how to open the motor and install a DCC decoder, but instead of a small decoder you apply a female 8 pin NEM 652 contact as the LokSound decoder and speaker are way to big to fit inside the motor. The LokSound decoder works OK with 9V. Though, you might have trouble with some sounds and things like playing driving sound and whistle simultaneously, but no problem finding projects with sounds that work fine.

I guess it is possible to use some other digital command station for model railways, but they usually run at a higher voltage.

It might be possible to configure the LokSound decoder to work with the analog 9V speed regulator, but I haven't bothered to try. Digital control is much better. You can run your trains nice and smooth even at low speeds.

I am guessing it is not PF as I can not see the battery anywhere?

As said in my first post... It is powered by an RCX running LDCC. This requires 9V train motor and tracks + the RCX remote control. The 9V train power adaptor fits straight into the RCX 1.0. Not possible to run this using only batteries.

What a wonderful little locomotive! The sound and smoke effects are absolutely the icing on the cake. I found the little diorama in the forest fascinating as I was planning on having a forest area on my new layout that I'm building,

Your loco definitely liked stretching its legs on the big layout and it seems that the onlookers at the exhibition were delighted by all the smoke and sound effects too.

I'm a big fan of older, smaller, Victorian steamers so thank-you so much for building and sharing this. The smoke generator is definitely impressive.

- BMW

Model of Norwegian steam engine NSB type 7a number 11. Equipped with a LokSound v4 decoder, some warm white LEDs and a Seuthe nr 99 smoke generator. To get some more juice an AnyVolt Micro is used to lift the voltage from 9V to 11,5V for the smoke generator. All powered and controlled by an RCX 1.0 with LDCC firmware.

(Edit: Replaced first image with link.)

Great engine :classic: and one question -- I put Seuthe #99 smoke generator instead one light into Lego #8870 light set, to have one light and steam on my Emerald Night engine. But there is no steam at all :cry_sad: (train runs perfectly, one light is OK). Is this problem with low power of Lego #8878 or something else. Can I solve problem with "AnyVoltMicro", as described here? If yes, how to connect the wires? Thanks in advance :grin: Mladen /Bjorkan

My experience is that you need a voltage in the upper voltage range of the Seuthe smoke generators to make them work properly. The #99 has a range 8-14 V, so the 9 V (or less) you get from the batteries is not enough. Though, the production yield seems to be high, so you might get smoke like a cigarette in an ashtray. I don't use PF myself, but if I understand it right, it use a PWM signal, so regarding AnyVoltMicro I don't think you can use it, or maybe it will work if you set the power to max. If there is a constant analog 9 V signal from the battery box, you can try to connect the AnyVoltMicro directly to the battery box.

BTW: I don't use the AnyVoltMicro any more, as I now use 12 V on the track.

rebelego, you said: " If there is a constant analog 9 V signal from the battery box", there indeed is a constant 9V voltage from the battery box. @bjorkan, you could use a 'buck convertor' to cranck the voltage up a little bit (will cost more energy from the battery though. The LiPo is about 7.2 Volts b.t.w. so I think too low for a smoke generator.