88high

Occupation thread

Nice idea for a post, it was a really interesting and fun read. Interesting working fields (engineering, military, education and finance prevail so far) :)

I am a freelance graphic designer specialized in logo design, identity design and branding.

Edited by talex

I work as an engineer on improving energy efficiency for burners, turbines and engine systems, fuel cells, and some NASA stuff (it will fly on rockets, but its not rocket science :wink: ).

I work as an agricultural off-road equipment engineer.

Curiously enough, we are now designing some one-off agricultural RC-type vehicles on a USDA project - its truly 'ground-breaking' work :tongue:, and we get all the raspberries and strawberries we can eat!

Edited by JGW3000

Curiously enough, we are now designing some one-off agricultural RC-type vehicles on a USDA project - its truly 'ground-breaking' work :tongue:, and we get all the raspberries and strawberries we can eat!

That is interesting. I had a fascination with robotic mini-harvesters in college. I do not think you would want to eat most of the products from our conveyors unless it was processed first. :classic:

I'm a Manufacturing Engineer for Barrett Firearms.

That sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, what does your job duty actually entail?

I have a BTEC in Electronic Engineering, I'm currently working in a bicycle shop and training to be a bicycle mechanic.

I've had a change since my last post: I'm now a pest management professional, or exterminator if you will. I kill bugs for a living and have a legit license to kill.

That sounds interesting. Out of curiosity, what does your job duty actually entail?

When new product is developed from R&D, I am responsible for new machining and assembly fixtures (I usually design most of these), machining and assembly processes, work instructions, etc. I also work on the sustaining side of manufacturing as well.

Edited by Brandon Miller

When new product is developed from R&D, I am responsible for new machining and assembly fixtures (I usually design most of these), machining and assembly processes, work instructions, etc. I also work on the sustaining side of manufacturing as well.

I am certainly thankful for people who do what you do. I work on the R&D side of engineering and would never see my design become reality without people like you.

Currently I'm at my fourth job (only 27 and already had 4 jobs :tongue: ). I am actually back where I started, at school working on some public bicycle projects and such...

I'm leaning back in my chair at a computer graphics station in what's called a graphics control room. I worked with a designer creating virtual elements for a sports studio show. He designs and models the elements, I make sure they will work in real time, make the interface to control them when we are on the air... For example, positioning them in the set, and updating any data they may show, and running animations.

They did not have an operator available, so since I built the playback interface, they asked me to actually be the on air operator.

Tonight we are doing the pregame and postgame shows on TBS for the Kansas City/LA division series MLB game. We did pregame for the Detroit/Baltimore game this morning. It's really boring right now because we have to be here all day to cover both games. Last night the game went extra innings and we didn't get out until after 2am. Then crew call was at 9:30 this morning, and I probably won't get out until after 1:30am.

If you watch the shows (and you'd likely be in a tiny minority if you did :) ), see if you can figure out which parts I did!

Retired! I was in the electronic engineering field until 1990. I went into the social sciences and am now a retired college professor. I taught from 1995 until retirement in December 2013.

Retirement is my greatest career choice yet!

Andy D

I had a hard time finding a job in my field, so I've moved on to plan B. Yesterday, I graduated from truck driving school: I graduated number one in the class, and I have the endorsements needed for carrying passengers, driving tankers, hauling hazardous materials, and pulling double/triple trailers.

The picture below is me with one of our 10-speed Volvos. We also drove an older 13-speed GMC-White/Volvo (truck in the background), as well as a couple old 10-speed Macks.

IMG_0815.jpg

Some of these driving jobs pay well, particularly those working around the oil fields. If all goes as planned, I'd like to drive trucks for several years and start investing in real estate.

Fun times ahead. :grin: .

Edited by dhc6twinotter

I'm in school right now. This is my last year of undergraduate. I'm hoping to get a PhD in math and become a professor. I tutor math students and do research in theoretical astrophysics.

Edited by jodawill

I'm a graphic designer. Worked as Creative Director of an agency for a few years before leaving and eventually setting up myself. So technically I'm the director of a Limited company... of one person. ;)

Interestingly, I never wandered around this part of the forum.

With all these different jobs, I guess we needed a person from HR... so here I am.

I am a benefits manager in an Oil&Gas company.

I am the linking pin between projects and maintenance management. On a large scale I should add, the projects I support mostly concern large infrastructural changes or new builds (amongst others 50km of new railway and currently a large Metro project). Tricky stuff, but I love it.

Is anyone else on here in pest control? I'd love to swap stories and ideas and whatnot, added bonus if you're not in the US! Shoot me a PM.

Had all kinds of occupations, currently working on some projects, but due to lack of work had to come home early... And yes I'm payed by the hour, so no money for me :hmpf_bad:

I have a MSc in Engineering Physics and have been working with designing and programming control systems for HVDC (High Voltage Direct Current) converters for some years. Nowadays however my most useful skills are not getting lost in large Excel files and staying alert in long meetings (which is always hard when the thoughts are straying away to a WIP or build idea :wink:)

In other words, they bumped me up to manager of a team of engineers.

Edited by Gideon