Capn Frank

Phred's Frigate the Dame du Loup

Everyone keeps ignoring my Welcome thread, which has most of the info new & old. I'll put this info in, but no one willread it. |-/ *sad*

I have read your welcome thread Mr. Cutlass, but it is only a welcome thread and should not become a MOC thread. Don't hesitate to open a new thread in the Pirate MOC forum once you have some pictures of your ship. I promise you that I won't ignore them and give you my comments ;-)

Speaking of American, has any one made any American Soldier's? From the Revolution or War of 1812 era?

This in not the best place to ask. Maybe raise the question in the pirate torso library.

Sorry P. to be a bit off-topic in this thread about your incredible ship.

Sorry P. to be a bit off-topic in this thread about your incredible ship.

Not a problem at all B. :)

Well i've got a lot of the rigging done and where the sails are going to be put on.

Also, i wanted to compare how big the DDW is compared to another ship that most of you probably have:

(Sorry that the pics are a little blury :-/ )

hpim1287top.jpg

hpim1287bottom.jpg

hpim1284.jpg

I've got the mizzen mast and main mast further apart now (thanx Z).

I could only lengthen the ship in intervals of 6 studs (so i wouldn't have to move any gun ports), and this seems to look the best.

P

Impressive size! And nice rigging Mr. P.

The positions of the mast are very realistic now (I did some investigations on this while building L'Orient).

What else needs to be done on the ship besides the sails?

I suggest (once it's finished) to take some pictures with a white sheet as background (or something similar). And maybe some more detailed pictures of the rigging. I'm very interested to see how you attached it. What kind of rope did you use?

Thanx for the compliments B & Z :)

The positions of the mast are very realistic now (I did some investigations on this while building L'Orient).

I thought it was close to realistic before, then Z pointed out the back two are really close together. Then the riggings for each mast almost touched and realized the error in my ways ;-)

But now i can have 4 more cannons on it *y*

What else needs to be done on the ship besides the sails?

More rigging, about a third of the interior on the berth/storage deck

I suggest (once it's finished) to take some pictures with a white sheet as background (or something similar). And maybe some more detailed pictures of the rigging. I'm very interested to see how you attached it. What kind of rope did you use?

Sure i can take closer pics of the rigging when i'm done with it.

Don't want to take any now cause i might change my mind. :-$

The rope is just cheap tan crochet thread from wal-mart :-D

Same string on the Xebec

P

That Looks absolutley wonderfull! And I mean LOOKS good! Wonder what it's it's like in person... *wub*

This is the Empire state building of Pirate's. :-D

the mast's are well placed, you should make a extra mast ( frgot what it's called ) And put a Flag on it.

I find it interesting that I have the same house in the first picture.

That looks immpressive Mr Phred! But don't you think the masts are a bit too long? I don't think they way to the mast platform was that long... Other than that, the masts look fine.

This is the Empire state building of Pirate's. :-D

the mast's are well placed, you should make a extra mast ( frgot what it's called ) And put a Flag on it.

I find it interesting that I have the same house in the first picture.

That wouldn't be very historically accurate...

Mr Tiber

That looks immpressive Mr Phred! But don't you think the masts are a bit too long? I don't think they way to the mast platform was that long... Other than that, the masts look fine.

The height of the main mast is about right. It's about the same height as the length of the gun-deck.

The only ship i was using as a reference for this is HMS Surprise. It's main mast is 130 feet tall and it's gun-deck is 135 feet long.

The placement of the mast platforms were placed by however it was convenient for the construction of the masts. The main mast platform is pretty high, but i figure it's ok since it's not an actual replica of any one frigate. If i make a model of an actual ship, say the USS Constitution, I'll be much more particular about accuracy than convenience. X-D

The bowsprit is way too long however and will be shortened by about 20 studs, it's about 50 studs long right now. :S

P

The height of the main mast is about right. It's about the same height as the length of the gun-deck.

The only ship i was using as a reference for this is HMS Surprise. It's main mast is 130 feet tall and it's gun-deck is 135 feet long.

Phred,

If you are mimicking the HMS Surprise for mast to ship dimensions, this ship will be very fast. According to my book The World of Jack Aubrey, The HMS Surprise was considered to be about the size of a 6th rate 28 gun ship and was outfitted with the mainmast and associated rigging off of a British 36 gun frigate 8-o . The purpose of this was because the HMS Surprise was armed with 32 carronades (short light, large caliber guns) along with 4 long guns and they wanted to rapidly close the gap on other ships to unleash devastating punishment. :-D

Duke

Here are some closeups of the top deck (quarter deck ? :S ) of my frigate:

ddwanchor.jpg

One of 2 anchors on the bow.

ddwbell.jpg

This bell is right in front of the mizzen mast.

I changed the bell to something more similar to Z's bell tower on his fort brighton.

I think it looks better now.

ddwcompass.jpg

Here's the compass in front of the steering. There's a modified 1x1 plate on the compass to designate exactly which direction is forward on the ship.

ddwsidelongboat.jpg

Here's a fully functional crane (one on each side) for raising and lowering rowboats on my frigate.

It's between the main and mizzen mast.

I used spickets as "hooks", which makes it real easy to "hook" onto lego rowboats. X-D

hpim1385.jpg_thumb.jpg

A thumbnail link of a pic at a different angle.

zextension.jpg

I call this the Z-extension. :-D

It's how i was able to lengthen my frigate 6 studs so that there is a larger gap between the mizzen and main mast. *y*

P

You have a serious crew waiting.

It will be hard to board this ship when there is an entire army on board.

You have some great details here. The anchor, the mechanism to lower to small boats, ...

Is it still possible to lift (move) the ship with that special Z piece in the hull?

I mean: Is the hull still strong enough?

Here are some closeups of the top deck (quarter deck ? :S ) of my frigate:

The quarter deck is the part of the upper deck abaft the mainmast, including the poop deck when there is one. Usually reserved for ship's officers, guests, and passengers. (source: Wikipedia Ship Deck).

You have a serious crew waiting.

It will be hard to board this ship when there is an entire army on board.

Don't worry, those are my bro's MFs mostly. But i'll post later w/ pics explaining why they're on my ship

Is it still possible to lift (move) the ship with that special Z piece in the hull?

I mean: Is the hull still strong enough?

Oh yeah it's still strong enough. There can be up to 9 technic pins connecting each side of the Z-extension and two 1x4 tiles for the ship deck to make it look smooth on top.

The quarter deck is the part of the upper deck abaft the mainmast, including the poop deck when there is one. Usually reserved for ship's officers, guests, and passengers. (source: Wikipedia Ship Deck).

Thanx B.

P

Ahh... SO now she's an Imperial Ship I see... I hope my sigfig can still be on the Qaurter deck...

In fact, that would mean this is the Imperial Flagship and would make me Admiral Norrington... he he he...

Mister Phred, the Dame du Loup is looking awesome now its got the masts and I think the rigging really sets them off. I can't get over the the sheer size of it compared with the Armada Flagship!

But now for another historic moment... Could you upload one of these to your Pirate MOC Brickshelf folders next time you do some uploading?

_www.classic-pirates.com_broadside.jpg

We have some promoting to do! ;-)

its comming right along

how many guns is it?

Thanx Legopirate, not as color cohesive and elaborate as your ship-of-the-line, but it's my first big MOC. :)

As an imperial ship right now, it can easily hold 44 long guns and 16 carronades.

When the pirates take it over, there could easily be 10 more guns thrown on. X-D

Ahh... SO now she's an Imperial Ship I see... I hope my sigfig can still be on the Qaurter deck...

In fact, that would mean this is the Imperial Flagship and would make me Admiral Norrington... he he he...

Commodore,

I thought you quit the navy before reaching the rank of Admiral? :-D

Mister Phred, the Dame du Loup is looking awesome now its got the masts and I think the rigging really sets them off. I can't get over the the sheer size of it compared with the Armada Flagship!

But now for another historic moment... Could you upload one of these to your Pirate MOC Brickshelf folders next time you do some uploading?

We have some promoting to do! ;-)

Thanx Mr. P

Thanx for the promo pic. Got it in my BS folder. *y*

P

You are a legend indeed Mister Phred! We must promote our new portal in order to attract more Pirate Fanatics to our community, thus you will have even more responses to your MOC threads!

Commodore,

I thought you quit the navy before reaching the rank of Admiral? :-D

Well, remember the end of DMC? I got promoted just for that.

zextension.jpg

I call this the Z-extension. :-D

It's how i was able to lengthen my frigate 6 studs so that there is a larger gap between the mizzen and main mast. *y*

Haha- I even get an extension named after me! How cool is that?!!

Looks good Phred! Well... except for all the dog hair in the pics ;)

When will we be getting sails?

You are a legend indeed Mister Phred! ...

A legend?! What do you mean Mr. P?

Well, remember the end of DMC? I got promoted just for that.

Oh yeah *y* :-D

Haha- I even get an extension named after me! How cool is that?!!

Looks good Phred! Well... except for all the dog hair in the pics ;)

When will we be getting sails?

I hope you're not alergic to dog hair X-D .

It'll get sails soon. Maybe a week or two; hopefully sooner.

P

Viva La Emporer!

With the help of dukeschunke, I was able to muster up a French crew worthy of la Emporer.

Since the Dame du Loup is nearing completion and almost ready for sea trials, the Emporer decided to take a look at the new crew and the ship.

viva.l.emporer.jpg

The crew was ready and in tight formation.

The Emporer decided to bring one of his Norwegian friends.

viva.l.emporer1.jpg

viva.l.emporer2.jpg

viva.l.emporer3.jpg

viva.l.emporer4.jpg

It was my first custom fig, so hopefully i did ok X-D

This Boneparte fig is actually wearing a space suit underneith his uniform :-D

P

The Emperor inspecting the Dame du Loup. Vive l'Empereur ! :-D

You have a good looking (and numerous) crew for your ship.

And you did a good job putting the Bonaparte decal on that fig.

The coat of Napoleon was usually grey, but probably his favorite coat was in the laundry the day of the inspection ;-) .

The Emperor inspecting the Dame du Loup. Vive l'Empereur ! :-D

You have a good looking (and numerous) crew for your ship.

And you did a good job putting the Bonaparte decal on that fig.

The coat of Napoleon was usually grey, but probably his favorite coat was in the laundry the day of the inspection ;-) .

Yeah, the gray coat was in the cleaners,

so he borrowed Harry Potter's :-D

P