Capn Frank

Phred's Frigate the Dame du Loup

razeed is when they chop the top deck off of a ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razee

Hmm, I'll have to check out the British 44's (or 64's X-D ).

What's razeed?

I'm sure the original French-44's were probably different from the 44's built by the US and England.

As the French prided themselves at making good ships and not copy designs from other countries.

Maybe the Constitution was designed with french assistance though. Maybe :-/

P

razeed is when they chop the top deck off of a ship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razee

Thanx for the info Aaron *y*

Here's a couple of current pics of the frigate:

hpim1271.jpg

I raised the stern walls a brick for better protection of the guys steering and navigating.

hpim1273.jpg

I've got a lot of the holes around the stern pretty much done and it's now ready to get some rigging and sails *sweet*

Here's some deeplink thumbs:

(They're a lot bigger than ones above and didn't look right when i tried to resize them :S )

hpim1277.jpg_thumb.jpg * hpim1278.jpg_thumb.jpg * hpim1270.jpg_thumb.jpg

P

Mister Phred, I'm wondering what is the purpose of those cogs just beneath the deck?

frigatebowwithcaptain.jpg

[With] the above image, it's sort of a close up of the the gears that wind up the two anchors [individually]. The plate they're mounted on slides back and forth [depending which anchor is needed to be raised or lowered] and can be moved with the dark gray technic piece with a white light saber blade.

For each gear, when they're not in use, has a small axel placed so the it stops the unused gear from spinning.

[Also, if either anchor needs to be lowered, move the dark gray technic piece half way and both anchors can move freely.]

frigatecapstan.jpg

This is a close up of the gear wheel that moves by the capstan above, which connects to the one of the two sliding gear wheels shown [in the above image].

There that should help Mr. P

I added some stuff in brackets to try to elaborate on your question.

P

Why thank you Mr Phred. As you can see I haven't had time to read the thread thoroughly - I've been learning the art of writing proposals to get money out of organisations you see. X-D

As for your anchor mechanism (does that have an official name by the way), does that actually function (I.e. fully raise and lower the anchor) or is it just a superficial detail with some customisability?

Oh no!!! The ship is taken by Stormtroopers etc.!!

The ship is beautiful as it is now Mr Phred.

But I think it would look little bit better if you add another deck, I believe it's called poop deck... And it's historically accurate I think, look at this( pics from the HMS Indefatigable):

34j.jpg

28a.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed your cabin is alot different than in the other ship.

Mr Tiber

The updated pictures are impressive Mr. P.

This must be one of the biggest Lego ships that I've seen.

And with all the guns, it won't be any easy target at sea.

When I meet your ship with L'Orient, diplomacy will be in order ;-)

Why thank you Mr Phred. As you can see I haven't had time to read the thread thoroughly - I've been learning the art of writing proposals to get money out of organisations you see. X-D

No problem Mr. Phes,

You're one busy person.

As for your anchor mechanism (does that have an official name by the way), does that actually function (I.e. fully raise and lower the anchor) or is it just a superficial detail with some customisability?

This anchor mechanism actually does work by raising the anchor when the ship is put together :)

It was very difficult to still have room under there for a cannon, and to keep it stable. :S

But I think it would look little bit better if you add another deck, I believe it's called poop deck... And it's historically accurate I think, look at this( pics from the HMS Indefatigable):

EDIT: Just noticed your cabin is alot different than in the other ship.

Mr Tiber

I don't think i'll be able to add another deck.

Not because i think you are incorrect, i just don't have the bricks and i can't afford another BL order right now :-$

I have very, very few bricks left needed to have a poop deck; i have barely enough to finish the exterior.

By the looks of your pics, this ship would probably look a little better with a poop deck(i also am almost certain that's what it is X-D ).

If i did have the bricks, i would have probably raised the cabin and make one.

Thanx for the suggestion though.

BTW, where are those pics from?

The updated pictures are impressive Mr. P.

This must be one of the biggest Lego ships that I've seen.

And with all the guns, it won't be any easy target at sea.

When I meet your ship with L'Orient, diplomacy will be in order ;-)

Thanx B,

Haven't decided how to have the cannons on the top deck yet.

It's made to have 44 guns and some carronades; when the pirates take it over, they're going to put ten more long guns and have 16 carronades X-D. For the pirates, the broadside is going to have 27 long guns and 7 carronades.

P

Looking good Phred my boy!

Two questions

1) Did you originally intend the ship to be longer? It appears to be shorter now then when I first remember seeing the ship.

2) the main mast and the mizzen mast look like they are a little too close together compared to the spacing between the main and mast up front... what do you think?

This be the site.

Mr Tiber

It's too bad he doesn't have any more ships on there than he does.

Those are some really good CAD model though *y*

Looking good Phred my boy!

Two questions

1) Did you originally intend the ship to be longer? It appears to be shorter now then when I first remember seeing the ship.

Thanx Z,

It actually is just a tiny bit longer :-$

W/out the bowsprit, it's 147 studs long, before it was around 143-144

2) the main mast and the mizzen mast look like they are a little too close together compared to the spacing between the main and mast up front... what do you think?

I know you are correct.

I think it looks ok, but not as good as it could.

I've already started on the rigging and i really don't feel like moving the masts. X-D

Besides, i've gotta get this done so i can start on the USS Constitution for the summer (that's my goal anywayz :-$ )

P

Thanx Z,

It actually is just a tiny bit longer :-$

W/out the bowsprit, it's 147 studs long, before it was around 143-144

Hmm... maybe the redesigned cabin (which is quite good) just makes it look smaller than I recall!

Hmm... maybe the redesigned cabin (which is quite good) just makes it look smaller than I recall!

the old stern was a lot taller than the current one.

BTW: i finally borrowed a scale from me bro.

The frigate has a mass of 9.4kg and weighs 21.21lb.

P

Now I'm wondering Mr Phred, which torso does this mini-figure have?

And do you have a picture of it in focus?

Now I'm wondering Mr Phred, which torso does this mini-figure have?

And do you have a picture of it in focus?

That would be 'Lando' from the sail barge set, complete with brown hands and all! Go Star Wars!

That would be 'Lando' from the sail barge set, complete with brown hands and all! Go Star Wars!

Thanx Z *y*

also Mr. Phes,

here's a clearer (not much clearer) pic of me (err my captain)

captain_and_his_girl.jpg

P

No problem B, I haven't had the oportunity to make your torsoe yet 8-|

Sorry.

Well, it could fit, but the RBR pieces are in the frigate X-D

Nope only have one EF set 8-|

It's a good thing it's a french ship then X-D

So i guess you could say it was originally B's anywayz.

P

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the Red Beard Runner! We must launch a counter attack, while she is in dry dock!!!!!!!!!!

( Sails out, only too see the DDW and scream like a girl and run away. )

Too be continued......

P.S. How high are the masts? Mine might be taller. *sweet*

P.S.S. When I first saw the DDW, I thought " What a talented creator! Who is he? " on MOC pages. Then, when I saw you and the DDW, well, lets just say it was one of my long list of reason's too join Eurobrick's. X-D X-O

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the Red Beard Runner! We must launch a counter attack, while she is in dry dock!!!!!!!!!!

( Sails out, only too see the DDW and scream like a girl and run away. )

I'm assuming you are talking about when i mentioned this:

Well, it could fit, but the RBR pieces are in the frigate X-D

With that assumption X-D :

Sorry about the fate of my RBR mate. I didn't feel like spending lots on BL when i had almost all the bricks needed in my sets. ;-)

Better hurry up Cutlass Cole with your attack. My frigate will be ready to sail this weekend probably X-D

So you wouldn't want her to fight back. But right now you'd have to get through my Xebec, Islander Catamaran, Chinese Junk and Emporer's Ship, and the Armada Flagship.

Too be continued......

I like sequels. :) (but only if they're about as good as the first one ;-) )

P.S. How high are the masts? Mine might be taller. *sweet*

Do you have a ship with really tall masts? You should make a thread if you do.

The main mast is about 4 1/2 feet tall.

P.S.S. When I first saw the DDW, I thought " What a talented creator! Who is he? " on MOC pages. Then, when I saw you and the DDW, well, lets just say it was one of my long list of reason's too join Eurobrick's. X-D X-O

Thank you very much for the compliments CC!

P

The High and mighty Interceptor ( who is a little camera shy X-D ) Has a mast made of castle pillar's.I need to repay my brother for using almost all the piece's to Batlords castle :'-( . The mast has ten, yeah count them ten pillar's, with a crow's nest or two. X-D My main problem is that it falls over, and since I can't move it, hit's the first floor. :-D Stupid me for putting it on the edge of the inside-Balcany.

There seems to always be some controversy on what a ship is classified as. The same may have been true with this very frigate. Some people may think this should be a ship of the line. I did a little research and found this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigate. It has a description on most every type of ship out there in case anyone gets confused. I also copied and pasted a paragraph that pertains to me bros ship. I think you could classify his mighty ship as a

The High and mighty Interceptor ( who is a little camera shy X-D ) Has a mast made of castle pillar's.I need to repay my brother for using almost all the piece's to Batlords castle :'-( . The mast has ten, yeah count them ten pillar's, with a crow's nest or two. X-D My main problem is that it falls over, and since I can't move it, hit's the first floor. :-D Stupid me for putting it on the edge of the inside-Balcany.

You should make a progress thread on the Interceptor mate *y* ;-)

It'd be easier to see what you're talking about too X-D

There seems to always be some controversy on what a ship is classified as. The same may have been true with this very frigate. Some people may think this should be a ship of the line. I did a little research and found this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frigate. It has a description on most every type of ship out there in case anyone gets confused. I also copied and pasted a paragraph that pertains to me bros ship. I think you could classify his mighty ship as a

Everyone keeps ignoring my Welcome thread, which has most of the info new & old. I'll put this info in, but no one willread it. |-/ *sad*

Edit:

Speeaking of American, has any one made any American Solider's? From the Reoulution or War of 1812 era?