Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Blue Train Era

I just stumbled upon this image today on Maj.com:

001.jpg

What I find really unique is the yellow transport truck pictured to the right of the image. Many of you probably don't remember but Lego used to use a steering piece (column) connected to a wheel brick for their trucks so that you could turn the front wheels with the use of a little red 1x2 brick that said Lego.

I owned the steam shovel set pictured below that had one. I still may have it somewhere. The 1x2 brick would be a neat collectors piece.

730-1.1105127516.thumb2.jpg

Also interesting is the use of smooth grey rubber tires. I remember seeing these many years ago. These and the old black ones lasted forever.

This picture really depicts early Lego.

Man, that does bring back memories.

I used to have a steering-brick somewhere. I didn't own a train that old, but I did have a train from the 70s blue train era, I think it was 171.

That bridge is ingenious.

Idea book 241 is a feast for pictures and creations like you posted:

069.jpg

Blue seems to have been pretty dominant a color back then ;-)

054.jpg

Alright, there's red, too:

016.jpg

Monorail predecessor:

094.jpg

It's one of my favorite idea books to browse through, after 7777...

Old I am... *sigh*

Monorail predecessor:

094.jpg

That monorail is amazing! Lego desginers sure had more balls in those days.

There is somebody from the dutch lego fanclub who makes layouts in oldskool style with blue track I'll try to find the pictures

These are great. I did not know there were blue rails before. These must be 1970s?

I have one old train, I think from around 1980, the black steam engine with blue/yellow carraiges on grey track but I do not have the instructions and i think many bricks are broken. Im thinking of trying to remake it from the main pic, I made it many times about 15 years ago so I reckon I remember lots of the instructions off by heart.

This monorail picture and the photo with what look like apartments are excellent. Plus the forest cutting scene, these are great ideas! Although blue trees is a bit weird. Maybe the forest was near Chernoybl 8-

These are great. I did not know there were blue rails before. These must be 1970s?

1960s

I have one old train, I think from around 1980, the black steam engine with blue/yellow carraiges on grey track but I do not have the instructions and i think many bricks are broken. Im thinking of trying to remake it from the main pic, I made it many times about 15 years ago so I reckon I remember lots of the instructions off by heart.

7710-1-1002229601.jpg

A great classic. Check brickfactory for the instructions.

Maybe the forest was near Chernoybl 8-

This reminds me of the sets I got from my uncle. They must be from around that area, but infortunately all but one boxes and all instructions are missing.

By the way, I really love the curved building in the upperleft corner on the first page. Very cool!

And 70's surely?

The blue tracks go into the 70s, that's true. But the pictures from Brickster and idea book 241 are from the 60s.

7710-1-1002229601.jpg

A great classic. Check brickfactory for the instructions.

Thanks, yes, that's the train alright. I think I should knock down a few mocs and rebuild it :-) Although I think most the wheels are broken..

So that boy's haircut is a '60s or '70s do?