Sign in to follow this  
Capn Frank

Weigh Anchor

weighanchor2.jpg

Note to Mister Phes:

I hope the image is small enough for the forum. This is my first post of an image and my first New Topic.

Hopefully I haven't broken any rules of etiquette for this forum. Just let me know.

I'm trying to make a lego aparatus that raises and lowers large anchors that is similar to how they're done in real life. This is my first attempt and would like some input. At first I was thinking of using those helicopter pieces that were used for the Skull Eye Schooner, but it didn't have the kewlness effect I was going for. I've figured out how to make two of them (one for each anchor) to be placed on my top deck of my ship, I just want them to look more realistic.

It took forever to figure out how to make something round with six or eight sticks or poles protruding out of the sides evenly spaced. I took the other one apart and "posed" it in such a way so that everyone can see how it's built. Having this anchoring assembly four studs wide is about the right fit for my frigate that i'm building, seeing how the hull is about 140 studs long and 34 studs wide.

I hope no one gets too offended that I mixed in one light bley 4 stud wide satelite dish with my classic gray. :-P

That is a very smart system! Although, it looks a bit modern due the gray colours. Here is my anchor system:

The capstan:

capstan.jpg

The anchor wire goes through this hole:

capstan_hole.jpg

And comes out if this hole:

capstan_hole_2.jpg

And here is the anchor, hanging on a beam:

anchor_beam.jpg

I also read, that your frigate is 34 studs wide! That's a whole lot,

Thats looking very good.

Very useful for everyone that's building ships.

I would like some more details on how to build this.

Hopefully I haven't broken any rules of etiquette for this forum.

I hope no one gets too offended that I mixed in one light bley 4 stud wide satelite dish with my classic gray. :-P

Are we so easily offended?

Nobody has been killed yet ;-)

Your post is just perfect with a clear and resized picture!

capstan1.jpgcapstan2.jpgcapstan3.jpgcapstan4.jpgcapstan5.jpgcaptstan6.jpgcapstan7.jpgcapstan8.jpgcapstan10.jpgcapstan11.jpg

as requested by bonaparte, here are da pics on how ta make me version of me capstan. (stupid camera kept on focusing on the carpet)

Mr. Tiber, i know the gray looks modern but i have yet to get the proper colored components to make it look better. There is a viking set that i dont have yet that comes with the proper pieces. I do like your capstan, it looks like you've used a ship's steering wheel. I'd much like to see how you managed to get the string to wind up like that.

I'd much like to see how you managed to get the string to wind up like that.

Well, it just happened that way, spin it and the string winds up automaticly.

Well, it just happened that way, spin it and the string winds up automaticly.

i just was wondering how you mounted the steering wheel on the deck to keep it rotating and not get the string caught on anything

i just was wondering how you mounted the steering wheel on the deck to keep it rotating and not get the string caught on anything

Maybe because the capstan isn't far away from the hole, so the string can't get caught on anything.

This is a very good design Mr.Phred! Using technic pieces for most of it was a good idea. The use of the axel connector pieces and ball-jointed pieces looks really good. Also, that anchor design looks good from what I can see :-) .

I like your idea Mr. Phred, it's clever and nifty, and I wish you luck in your endeavor.

I also read, that your frigate is 34 studs wide! That's a whole lot,

I believe you were in the middle of typing a sentence Mr. Tiber.

Note to Mister Phes:

I hope the image is small enough for the forum. This is my first post of an image and my first New Topic.

Hopefully I haven't broken any rules of etiquette for this forum. Just let me know.

The image is of a fine size laddie! 800 x 600 is probably the biggest you'd want to make images for posting directly into threads. And if you haven't seen it already check out the How to perform a batch image resize TUTORIAL should you ever need a fast solution to resize many images.

capstan1.jpgcapstan2.jpgcapstan3.jpgcapstan4.jpgcapstan5.jpgcaptstan6.jpgcapstan7.jpgcapstan8.jpgcapstan10.jpgcapstan11.jpg

as requested by bonaparte, here are da pics on how ta make me version of me capstan. (stupid camera kept on focusing on the carpet)

Thanks for this tutorial Mr. phred. Now I understand how to build one.

Might be usefull for my ship under construction (HMS Excalibur)

Didn't Baron Sat build a capstan in his Ship Vignette using brown parts?

He used a ship wheel as many do, including Mr. Tiber.

C'mon Phes, why can't you take a half-minute trip to Brickshelf and answer your own question for once!

that capstan looks nice with that 3 stud diameter brown satelite dish. I think i'll try to experiment with Mr. Tiber's (sorry i had misspelled it earlier) and "baronsat's" design. thanx mr tiber

The design of Baron Sat's capstan looks a lit less complicated than Mr Phred's!

However, I'm assuming that Baron Sat's design is limited to brown because I'm not aware of ships wheel's being different colours. Mr Phred's on the other hand offer much more colour flexibility.

Hi, new to the forums, though I have been lurking for the past few days. My question is, how do you mount a capstan made from a steering wheel? I see the wheel going into what appears to be the base of a palm tree, though this will not work for me. Any suggestions?

Hi, new to the forums, though I have been lurking for the past few days. My question is, how do you mount a capstan made from a steering wheel? I see the wheel going into what appears to be the base of a palm tree, though this will not work for me. Any suggestions?

Do you want the capstan to wind up the anchor above deck or below deck.

I'm not certain, but i don't think that Mr. Tiber used a palmtree base but used a piece typically used for a helicopter (a plate with a technic pin pointing straight up).

Do you want the capstan to wind up the anchor above deck or below deck.

I'm not certain, but i don't think that Mr. Tiber used a palmtree base but used a piece typically used for a helicopter (a plate with a technic pin pointing straight up).

I didn't use a palmtree base, I used the plate with technic pin indeed :pirate1:

phred!... that is one superb "windlass!"

I'll have to do something like it for kraken summoning windlass on my flyin ducthman moc.

Here is my simple working version

windlass.jpg

phred!... that is one superb "windlass!"

I'll have to do something like it for kraken summoning windlass on my flyin ducthman moc.

Here is my simple working version

windlass.jpg

Where have you been lad! How's it going with the Flying Dutchman? BTW, in another topic you asked for a picture of the main deck. In the movie, you have a short look on the deck when Davy Jones curses Jack when he discoveres his chest is empty...

Where have you been lad! How's it going with the Flying Dutchman? BTW, in another topic you asked for a picture of the main deck. In the movie, you have a short look on the deck when Davy Jones curses Jack when he discoveres his chest is empty...

Ive been around. I've been moc modding the aquaraider lobster. unfortunately still no progress of the dutchman. :-| I do however have the dvd of said movie so I have a better idea of some of the details.

And phred's design is great for it, although the center doesn't raise and lower. :-D

Pesky Kracken, always destroying my ships and sending my treasure to the bottom of the sea. I object to Goulrelam bringing said beasty into our Lego world, as it will surely cause death and destruction on an unimaginable scale.

As for the capstans, I like all the designs fairly well, and with a little modification to the design, there is no reason Phred's capstan couldn't raise and lower with a technic axle! (if he were going through something with a round, as opposed to crossed hole)

This is pretty cool. I like how you have the pirates pushing to raise the anchor. Nice Job!