mrklaw

ASK HERE MOC-stuck? Ask for general building advice here!

I'm trying to make a slightly larger model of the Big Ben architecture set, to allow me to not have the clock face sticking out. But I've run into trouble with the roof. Seems that Lego don't make any 75 degree corner pieces. This seems odd, as they have a 75 degree slope, and a roof 'cap' but no corners.

So any suggestions how to work around this? I was thinking to use the smallest wedge pieces, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to hinge them at an angle to form a roof.

I've tried the standard 45 degree slopes and they just look wrong.

I need the roof to be four studs wide at the bottom, two studs wide at the top and about a brick high, maybe 4 studs. Plus I need to be able to build on top of it, so I need to be able to get something through from underneath - even if it's just a pole

Easy, you get a roof tile which is sloped and turn it sideways. then keep putting them together so it goes higher and narrower

like this and put the windows and stuff in sideways if it looks fine or think of some way to have the windows upright and the roof like in the images, it shouldn't be too hard and building on top of this should be easy too with the /modified bricks/technic bricks' as they are called on brick shelf.

34sqe0n.jpg

I have no idea how to picture what roof shape you want or the dimensions, '1 brick high' does not tell me much

Edited by SNIPE

I'm trying to make a slightly larger model of the Big Ben architecture set, to allow me to not have the clock face sticking out. But I've run into trouble with the roof. Seems that Lego don't make any 75 degree corner pieces. This seems odd, as they have a 75 degree slope, and a roof 'cap' but no corners.

So any suggestions how to work around this? I was thinking to use the smallest wedge pieces, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to hinge them at an angle to form a roof.

I've tried the standard 45 degree slopes and they just look wrong.

I need the roof to be four studs wide at the bottom, two studs wide at the top and about a brick high, maybe 4 studs. Plus I need to be able to build on top of it, so I need to be able to get something through from underneath - even if it's just a pole

???

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3685 default_blink.gif

SNOT the roof. Build walls and ends of the wall with 3x2x1 tall slopes. Using hinges, tilt the 4 walls towards each other until they touch along their out edged slopes.

(Similar to what LEGOman said but using bricks instead of plates.)

See here it is done inverted coming down from the control room of the Sand Crawler.

5785826499_7c47312777_z.jpg

This isn’t related to what I said but it’s cool:

1316721625m_SPLASH.jpg

Edited by Rook

SNOT the roof. Build walls and ends of the wall with 3x2x1 tall slopes. Using hinges, tilt the 4 walls towards each other until they touch along their out edged slopes.

(Similar to what LEGOman said but using bricks instead of plates.)

See here it is done inverted coming down from the control room of the Sand Crawler.

*Snip*

Who built that?! :wub_drool:

mrklaw... is this the type of tower roof you are trying to build? This is my 20 year old City Hall model that used yellow 2x2x3 double convex slopes from 7 Yellow Castle (375/6075) sets, back before there was Bricklink!

5089979277_808ae23204_b.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

WFmzr.png

This is what I have so far. The roof area is only 4x4 studs (area just above the clock face), and needs to leave studs exposed for the top part

This kind of works ok, and also the longer 1x2 cheese slopes with slats work in there as well (This one), I just didn't have them in dark bley

It's the small working area that is stumping me a little.

Edited by mrklaw

@LEGO Historian: That is an awesome MOC! You've been building great creations since before I was born!

Thanks! (Except for the "before I was born part"..... lol default_satisfied.gif)

Here's a "LEGO Museum of Art" building I did in the early 1990s... sigh... also before you were born.... default_blink.gif

It is made of white LEGO... which doesn't show well with flash photography, so I omitted the flash, which is why it looks yellowish... (and of course those curve railing pieces in the roof cupola's were a recent addition).

istok04.jpg

Edited by LEGO Historian

This is how someone at a large public show addressed the issue in an Alien Conquest MOC. But I think they may have also been trying to make the profile a little more angular to match some of the AC concept art. (I wish I knew who had made that MOC)

IMG_0559

The thing that hurts with any alternatives is they will cost you those side pin holes, which means you will not have the opening cockpit doors or side door.

I am referring to this.

I need it in a light gray to replace them on this.

These would be harder to incorporate than the other suggestions, could require somewhat heavy customization, and might require eliminating the hinge function the original parts allow, but I figure I might throw in that suggestion along with the System solutions others have recommended. Of course, chances are you want to keep the hinge function, so these probably won't work too well for your individual needs.

On the older version of the flame, there are 2 tiny pegs on the sides of the 4mm(?) area that can be locked into the curves of the flames themselves.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could explain how the person who built this castle built the tower. I don't understand how they made it circular while keeping the structural strength and how they attached the roof to it.

hogwarts_castle_legos_by_shippertrish-d3ioec1.jpg

Thanks!

These hinges:

2429c01.jpg?0

to make the round shape.

And at the to attach the roof the builder probably put tiles on top of the wall section except where the roof could connect.

Or the roof could just set there, or be hooked up from the center.

Hope this helped :classic:

Wow! That is one impressive structure. :wub: Are there more pictures of it somewhere else on EB?

These hinges:

2429c01.jpg?0

to make the round shape.

And at the to attach the roof the builder probably put tiles on top of the wall section except where the roof could connect.

Or the roof could just set there, or be hooked up from the center.

Hope this helped :classic:

Awesome. Thanks so much. I didn't know that piece existed.

Wow! That is one impressive structure. :wub: Are there more pictures of it somewhere else on EB?

There are a few more pictures. Here is a link to some pictures and a video of it:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5102/5823622964_381b5095ec_z.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/5823059843_9415808d2e.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/162/0/b/hogwarts_castle_legos_by_shippertrish-d3ioec1.jpg

Thanks!